Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Morgan-Evans
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've just played though a couple of scenarios and I have a few questions. I apologise if I'm being dense or the answers are elsewhere in the forums;

1; Does the Medipac get used up/discarded when used?

2; If a 'Being charged' test results in 'Runaway' can a character run away though hexes containing Zombies?

3; If, the answer to 2 is no, what happens?

As I said I've only played a few games but I'm loving what I see. Great work L&L, hope to see more expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. One use only.

2. Nope.

3. At the conclusion of her movement, a survivor in a hex with zombies must fight a round of Melee.

Take a glance at my FAQ in the files section here. It has the official stamp of approval. Feel free to ask more questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morgan-Evans
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the quick reply Mark; very helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I also have newbie questions, I think the proper thing is to append them to this thread, huh?

Anyway, I seem to be struggling a bit with the rules, here are a few questions that I hope somebody will help with.

1) The character shoots 1 zombie at the beginning of her move, she then moves into a building and surprises zombies there. Can she shoot again?

2) A pistol has only 1 fire dice. Since I must roll 2 or more 1's to run out of ammo, it would appear the pistol never runs out, is this right? If so, why is Beck given 1 pistol and 1 ammo in the "For a few bullets more" scenairo (this is the only one I have played so far).

3) Can a survivor fire at a zombie, even if that zombie is in the same hex as another survivor?

4) I am a bit puzzled by the initiative procedure, where one die is rolled for the humans, and another for the zombies. The higher of the two move first, but only those with reputation equal or greater than their initiative die can move at all?! This leads to the strange situation where I win the initiative roll with a 6, but none of my characters can do anything. Then all the zombies move in the "second" impulse because they rolled a 3. Am I reading this correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
1) The character shoots 1 zombie at the beginning of her move, she then moves into a building and surprises zombies there. Can she shoot again?

Yes (assuming that she surprised the zombies and not the other way around.) In this case, shooting is a reaction, not an action, so it doesn't count against your actions for the turn. One of the major factors in wrapping your head around these rules is to not confuse ACTIONS with REACTIONS.

Quote:
2) A pistol has only 1 fire dice. Since I must roll 2 or more 1's to run out of ammo, it would appear the pistol never runs out, is this right? If so, why is Beck given 1 pistol and 1 ammo in the "For a few bullets more" scenairo (this is the only one I have played so far).

As long as you're only rolling one die, then the pistol can't run out of ammo. Remember though, you have the option of panic fire, in which you roll an extra die and automatically run out of ammo. Also, if you have a 2x pistol (which is really just two pistols, but they only take up one weapon slot) you roll two dice and risk running out of ammo.

Quote:
3) Can a survivor fire at a zombie, even if that zombie is in the same hex as another survivor?

Yes.

Quote:
4) I am a bit puzzled by the initiative procedure, where one die is rolled for the humans, and another for the zombies. The higher of the two move first, but only those with reputation equal or greater than their initiative die can move at all?! This leads to the strange situation where I win the initiative roll with a 6, but none of my characters can do anything. Then all the zombies move in the "second" impulse because they rolled a 3. Am I reading this correctly?

You are correct. It's good to roll high, as long as it's not higher than your initiative!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the prompt and helpful response Brett!

I have started that first scenario about 4 times now, and each time get a little further before I decide to start over (after having learned a little more about the rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Um, it is me again. blush

The first turn of the game. Scenario "For a few bullets more". The two survivors enter on the east edge.

"Zombies generated by survivors who have just entered the board do not move until the next turn". I assume I still roll for initiative on the first turn, even though there are no zombies available to move?

So, I roll for initiative, and get a 6 (naturally). So, even though I win the initiative, I cannot do anything.

Next, I generate the zombies per rules for the beginning of the scenario.

I roll a 6D6 for both characters and get a pile of zombies (naturally). The rules say to "place zombies as indicated in the section on placing zombies generated by the shot counter". Those rules say I place them in relation to the shot counter, but there is no shot counter, since I have not fired a weapon.. I read a separate document which says I use the characters position instead, which sound reasonable, so I do that. Is this correct?

So, my two characters are still sitting at the edge of the board, since they could not move (having rolled a 6 for initiative). This means about half the zombies will have been placed off map, which means they are placed at the map edge instead- which means my characters are sitting on a stack of Zombies.

Could somebody clarify how I handle this on the next turn? I.e. do I need to pass a "being charged reaction test", etc..?

Sorry for being dense, I have searched for a FAQ or "living rules", etc. but have not found one yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The first turn is special. Survivors move onto the mapboard and take their action without any initiative die roll. After the survivors have moved and taken their actions, zombies are generated by rolling 6D6 for each survivor, and as you surmised, placing them 6 hexes in the direction indicated on their counters away from the survivor, rather than away from a shot counter.

If placement would mean that the zombie would be placed off-board, place in a hex on the edge of the board instead. If placement would mean that a zombie would be placed in the same hex as a survivor, place it in an adjacent hex instead. But if you're smart, you will have moved both survivors as far away from the board edge as possible, to put some distance between yourself and the zombies.

In fact, it's legal to "fast move" on your first turn (this uses your action for the turn) and it's recommended that you do so, since there really isn't much else to do on the first turn - unless you decided to move into a building on your initial move. Do not do this. You have enough trouble with the initially placed zombies. You don't need to go exploring until you've dealt with at least some of them.

There's a FAQ in the files section, below the forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Brett! I really appreciate your help. I was having trouble getting much past the 1st turn. Your clarification should. I will see if I can find that FAQ. Also, I will print this discussion out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome dang job, Brett! I've been snowed under lately, and slow to answer questions here. No matter, you did great.

Skipper, the FAQ really is helpful, and I've done my best to make it user friendly. It has the "official" stamp of approval, but it obviously up to you to use any or all of it as you desire.

About Scenario One...I have used that as an introduction to the game. I always let a Newb take Tonya (and that is the ONLY time I let somebody else take herwhistle). I make sure they learn the basics, but I let them make all the tactical mistakes like not moving away from the board edge (BTW, if there are no zombies or survivors on the board at the beginning of a game, just assume the survivors all pass initiative). Or, searching right away. It's a very good object lesson on zombie dangers.

Lastly, Ed the designer said about 30 forum pages ago that grabbing a red hot pan by the handle is an Action, jerking your hand away is a Reaction. Moving into a building is an Action, surprising zombies and firing at them is a Reaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Jones
United States
Kew Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Fly Eagles Fly!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett Schaller wrote:
The first turn is special. Survivors move onto the mapboard and take their action without any initiative die roll. After the survivors have moved and taken their actions, zombies are generated by rolling 6D6 for each survivor, and as you surmised, placing them 6 hexes in the direction indicated on their counters away from the survivor, rather than away from a shot counter.

If placement would mean that the zombie would be placed off-board, place in a hex on the edge of the board instead. If placement would mean that a zombie would be placed in the same hex as a survivor, place it in an adjacent hex instead. But if you're smart, you will have moved both survivors as far away from the board edge as possible, to put some distance between yourself and the zombies.

In fact, it's legal to "fast move" on your first turn (this uses your action for the turn) and it's recommended that you do so, since there really isn't much else to do on the first turn - unless you decided to move into a building on your initial move. Do not do this. You have enough trouble with the initially placed zombies. You don't need to go exploring until you've dealt with at least some of them.

There's a FAQ in the files section, below the forums.

I can't thank you enough for this Brett. I was getting a little frustrated with the first scenario but now I feel like my mind is wrapping around it a bit more tightly.

Love this game so far. Don't love the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.