Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Cook
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmb
Anyone know of any Fantasy (Orcs, elves etc) tactical hex and counter wargames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Trevor,

Demonworld

It's a little old now, 1999, but works fine with counters or miniatures, on maps with hexes.

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about The Lord of the Rings: Combat Hex Tradeable Miniatures Game?

BattleLore is very good, but perhaps not in the scale you want.

These two are oldies, but available PnP and quite adaptable to house rules.
Melee
Wizard

Finally, there's Arena of Death, which perhaps is not as well thought of as the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Rage and The Lords of Underearth. Both are currently in print as of this posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T. Edwards
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of the Tabletop

Kings & Things

Wizard Kings

White Bear & Red Moon

Greyhawk: Wars

Dragon Pass

Titan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skrybble wrote:

(I don't know about the other stuff in that list, but these either aren't tactical, or aren't hex-and-counter.)

30 years old, and it's undead instead of orcs & elves, but Necromancer has some interesting stuff; because they're undead, your units are stronger if you have fewer of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
wandererdog wrote:
How about The Lord of the Rings: Combat Hex Tradeable Miniatures Game?

BattleLore is very good, but perhaps not in the scale you want.

These two are oldies, but available PnP and quite adaptable to house rules.
Melee
Wizard
There's also the free adaptation of this system called Legends of the Ancient World. Check out darkcitygames.com where you can download the rules (they also have SF and Wild West versions).

Quote:
Finally, there's Arena of Death, which perhaps is not as well thought of as the others.
I didn't think this was a bad system, but it was created to be the combat system for the DragonQuest RPG, so a bit more clunky than most skirmish systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dark Blades is part of the Cry Havoc system, with a fantasy component added.

The previously mentioned Melee / Wizard is another good option. It was 'fleshed out' further with In The Labyrinth, if your intention is more towards the RPG side of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Day
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Titan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
rexbinary wrote:
Dragon Rage and The Lords of Underearth. Both are currently in print as of this posting.

Dragon Rage is probably the closest to what the OP asked for. That new edition looks awesome!

Are you sure that Lords of Underearth is in print? My copy is from 1981 and the company has been out of business for decades. It along with Melee & Wizard are at a skirmish level with single counters per person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the games suggested so far, there's also Dark Emperor and the three SPI Lord of the Rings games:

War of the Ring
Gondor
Sauron

Granted, Dark Emperor and War of the Ring are more strategic. But they're still good plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Demonlord - not tactical, but a well regarded Dwarfstar mini-game now available as a free download. Hex map, and a tactical "lite" battle resolution system with massed fantasy armies.

Goblin - another Dwarftstar mini-game with a hex map and available as a free download. Play a Goblin King and and go raiding, pillaging, and burning. Good wholesome entertainment for the fantasy wargamer. Might be more of an operational level than tactical level game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daleks stole my lunch box
France
Morbihan
flag msg tools
designer
Press 'X' to feel emotions.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More operational than tactical, but still a very good one, if you can find it: Swords & Sorcery

Dark Blades is also quite good, as well as the French adaptations Dragon Noir 1: L'Exil and Dragon Noir 2: L'Epreuve. There are translations of the rules on cryhavocfan.org I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
skrybble wrote:

(I don't know about the other stuff in that list, but these either aren't tactical, or aren't hex-and-counter.)

Wizard Kings is close enough (blocks instead of counters). The scale also adds a bit of a strategic element but it's still tactical enough. It's also a great game! Granted I have the 1st edition of the game and not the 2nd edition where they mucked everything up and made it difficult to get single race armies. It's easy to learn at about only 8 pages of rules and plays fairly quickly. It also accommodates more than two players fairly well. It's been a favorite of mine for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
cafeine wrote:
More operational than tactical, but still a very good one, if you can find it: Swords & Sorcery

First thing that came in my mind (beside Dragon pass).

This has so many ol' memories - especially when you played RPGs back in the 70 / 80s. And it has some of the weirdest units I discovered in a Fantasy Game.

If you can get a copy - grab it. Has a bunch of nice scenarios (14) plus a quest game.
Scenarios like: Destruction of the Orcs (Alliance vs Orcs)
The War of the Northern Kingdoms (Spider Folk + Allies vs. Dragons)
The War of the Great Sword (Dark Lord vs. Empire).

Oh, if you get it: Say hello to Gygax Dragonlord and the SS Viking unit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to try:
Magestorm

Similar to battlelore, yet it has some innovations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Not a boardgame per se, but an excellent free computer game that meets the hex and counter tactical fantasy description:

www.wesnoth.org
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Kaiser
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zargo's Lords
Very cool and very old fantasy hex-and-counter wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the following games (not necessarily to your exact specs though):

Wizard Kings is excellent, its not hex & counter, but area movement. But definitely a block wargame. Its not too heavy and not too light, just right.

Swords & Sorcery is definitely a classic hex & counter fantasy war game and I don't think there is any other game that fits your description better. (Apart from Dark Emperor, see below) It has a fully developed fantasy backdrop you could roleplay to, the game play is compelling and there are a ton of interesting units. The only problem is price. This OOP game is quite expensive nowadays.

Sorcerer is a little abstract with the colors and all but its not a bad game and can be found fairly cheap.

Magic Realm isn't your typical hex and counter, but its probably one of the most innovative and clever game ever made. Its one of my few 10 out of 10 games. Its not an easy one to learn on your own though.

Dragon Hunt is another hex & counter game, its got some interesting mechanics; a little little euro, a little little random, but doesn't detract from the game itself. A little slow.

Dark Emperor another game similar to sword & sorcery, multiplayer fest with a very interesting storyline. Highly recommended.

Demons Mini hex and counter game, there isn't much game here, but its light and fairly fast playing.

Wizards If you like questing and don't mind a little randomness, then this hex & counter game is for you, its basically continuous questing with a clever & unique random map design, has good narrative and gives you a good sense of question. Not confrontational and hence not really a wargame wargame.

War of the Ring (First Edition) Can't ignore this fantasy wargame either, but not classic hex and counter though. Its predecessor from SPI, War of the Ring is though, but the new version is a much better game.

Dragon Pass Another classic hex & counter, a based off White Bear & Red Moon world, its extremely thematic and a good old fashion fantasy wargaming game to boot. Also highly recommended.

Titan not what I would consider as a wargame nor is it a hex & counter. Its more like an Arena battle game. But its a goodie and definitely fits your fantasy bill. AND its still in print from Phalanx Games.

The Lords of Underearth, Dragons of Underearth is still in print and is basically a rip off of Melee & Wizard (both of which is out-of-print and over-priced), both of these are compatible with the quest modules from metagaming also, its still available straight from Decision Games. Not a bad little questing system and can be played solitaire.

(Dark Blades looks interesting, never heard of it... live and learn...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragons of Glory is an excellent hex based war game. It is based in Krynn, the world of TSRs Dragon Lance games. It allows players to play out the wars of the Lance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cave Evil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
msg tools
mbmbmb
There is also The Beastlord. I lusted after this when it first came out and over 20 years later I got a chance to buy it. Boy did I lust after dogs when I was younger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Ryan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a classic in its day....Divine Right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wasn't thinking of something like Swords & Sorcery as qualifying as 'tactical'. However, The Beastlord has a 'tactical' battle board for resolution of battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Ryan wrote:
This was a classic in its day....Divine Right

Not tactical, but still awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.