BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Need Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Herrera
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I have been writing a game in which combines both RPG and board game tactics.

It is historical in nature concentrating on a period during WWII.

I have been writing this off and on for several years, which at the time RPG and board games were very popular. However, today they are not as popular, and as a result, not much of a market.

Therefore, should I continue to plow myself through this subject matter, which I have already written 45 sections with nearly 200 pages, or should I try to sell my idea instead? And if so, how do I go about doing this.

What should be my best approach to this dilemma?

What would you do in my position?

Thank you,
Bryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hahn
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it is now.

My feeling is that RPGs and war games wax and wane in popularity. I'm not up to date on how those genres are doing (which is probably a good indicator to me that they're in the 'wane' phase), but now is probably a really SMART time to work on the game. Get it done in time for the genres to become popular again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you care about making money, do something else. If you want to make an awesome RPG/board game, keep going until you get it. Remember, though, that the playtesting part is going to make 199 of those pages need to be rewritten. Possibly. Good luck. Do it for the love of the game, not the love of money, and you may even complete it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked to see what types of games are coming out this year?

www.gametrademagazine.com

http://www.pen-paper.net/

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/

http://paizo.com/paizo/about/schedule

This will give you an idea of what's coming out this year and in which genres

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Finish It !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
Finish It !

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryaneuropean wrote:
I have been writing a game in which combines both RPG and board game tactics.

It is historical in nature concentrating on a period during WWII.

I have been writing this off and on for several years, which at the time RPG and board games were very popular. However, today they are not as popular, and as a result, not much of a market.

Therefore, should I continue to plow myself through this subject matter, which I have already written 45 sections with nearly 200 pages, or should I try to sell my idea instead? And if so, how do I go about doing this.

What should be my best approach to this dilemma?

What would you do in my position?

Thank you,
Bryan

You've been working on this for years. Clearly this is something you're passionate about. Why give up just because the tides have changed? The RPG business may be trouble, but the hobby is still going strong--plenty of people are playing RPGs, and plenty of people are writing RPGs and releasing cheaply or for free. Board games are actually booming right now, although the money is spread across many different companies and individuals. So what if you're not likely to make a lot of money on this project? If you love what you're doing, keep doing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Perez
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say that when I create anything it's the act of creation that fuels me and not the end goal.

I write because I have a story to tell. I work up a game because I have an idea I can't get out of my head. The creation itself is satisfaction enough to at least get the idea out of my head and into reality.

After the act of creation is done and whatever I have wrought sits in front of me do I then contemplate it's fate.

My advice is finish the RPG. Complete it when you feel your done. Don't worry about selling it or anything until you've finished working on it. After that you can decide to shop it around to publishers or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are your goals? Is the RPG just to be creative? Are you trying to get a game published? Do you want to be famous? Your motivation is going to determine the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Herrera
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thank you for your response to my post.

I agree with you that these genres do "wax and wane" which is why I've been perplexed as to continue my work.

However, after the many replies that I have received, including yours, to finish it, I believe that is what I will do.

Thanks,
Bryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Herrera
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thank you for your reply to my post.

You are correct in saying "...that the playtesting part is going to make 199 of those pages need to be rewritten."

However, it is also true that I do this for the love of being a game developer and not for the monetary aspect of it.

Thanks,
Bryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Herrera
United States
Texas
flag msg tools

And thank you for sending me several links to the diffetent genres of games that are coming out.

Thanks,
Bryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Herrera
United States
Texas
flag msg tools

Yes, this is something that I am definitely passionate about. And even though the "tides have changed", I will not give up writing my work until I have finish it.

Thanks,
Bryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Herrera
United States
Texas
flag msg tools

You hit "the nail on the head" when you said "it's the act of creation that fuels me and not the end goal." I could not agree more.

However, as you may know, the end goal can sometimes become muddled when you are constantly revising your work because of another new idea.

But after I finish my work, how do I go about getting it published?

Have you ever done this?

Thanks,
Bryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Herrera
United States
Texas
flag msg tools

Actually this project began when I could not find any type of game on this subject matter. As a result, I decided to write my own game.

Initially, this game was just for myself and friends. However, once they saw my concept they all encouraged me to publish it.

But if I planned to publish this I knew that I would have to revise it, which I have been doing on and off now for several years.

So, as you can see I am ready for this project to be finished. And because I am dealing with a historical subject, everything has to be dead on accurate, including events, tables, maps, graphs, etc.

This is why I'm anxious to move on. But it is still far from ready and was the reason for my post.

But in the event I do complete this game of mine, how do I go about getting it published? Have you ever tried to publish your work? If so, how did you do this?

Thank you,
Bryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Graye
United States
Villageton
Feonora
flag msg tools
designer

Hello Bryan. Noticed there weren't any replies to the last few questions. In today's board game climate the question of how to get a game published oftentimes needs to be clarified. There is of course the usual type of "published" which means that an established publisher secures the rights to publish your game, various contracting ensues and the game is released through traditional channels. This is usually what people mean when they ask how to get a game published.

There are alternative paths to publishing a game, though arguably less glamorous and prestigious than the traditional way. One of these is to invest your own money (or use outside capital) to have the game professionally produced, at which point the game needs to be sold through distribution channels. It's a big risk of course but you still retain copyright/ownership rights and the game is published even though it may struggle to find its footing.

Further down is the burgeoning field of print-and-play games, which are usually presented in the form of free pdf packs. Although, monetized distribution channels of this model do exist. It would likely require some retooling of the game, to make it pdf friendly, but once you've got a solid package that players can assemble themselves, good instructions and a means of distribution (e.g. website, etc.) the game could by some standards be considered "published" in this way.

Once you have an idea which path feels right there are plenty of knowledgeable people who can elaborate on these approaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.