Huang YQ
China
flag msg tools
Plz image that I had a cambat with Baratheon. I had only two House cards in hands, and in cambat Baratheon played "Patchface". After combat he decide to discard my last Housecard.
But according to the rule "At the end of a combat, if a player used his last House card, he then returns the other six House cards currently in his discard pile to his hand. The last played card remains in the
discard pile."
and the Answer in FAQ v1.4 "At the end of the Combat Clean Up step of Combat Resolution (after played House cards are
discarded to their respective discard piles).",
I was in confusion.
May I return my House cards? If I can, which card should be stayed in the discard pile, the played one or the one discarded by Patchface?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Summoner Wars: Fallen Kingdom Faction Deck fanMicrobadge: Carcassonne fanMicrobadge: Judo fanMicrobadge: Space Hulk: Death Angel - The Card Game fanMicrobadge: I play with green!
The Patchface event is still part of 'combat'
and
p14 rules wrote:
At the end of a combat, if a player used his last (i.e., seventh)
House card, he then returns the other six House cards currently
in his discard pile to his hand.
Patchface makes you use your last House card.
Therefore, the card that Patchface forces you to discard (and thus final card of your hand) is the one that stays in the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
Microbadge: Twitch fanMicrobadge: Merry Christmas, you filthy animalsMicrobadge: Nintendo Switch fanMicrobadge: Golden CamelMicrobadge: Dragon Dice fan
According to the FAQ, Patchface's ability technically happens after one would re-draw their hand of 6 House cards, to account for when the opponent is playing their last card. I don't think the FAQ or rules cover this specific case, but I would say you redraw your hand, leaving behind the one discarded, as that would have been your last House card.

It's be an interesting question to send to FFG for an official ruling, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Jeda
msg tools
I would agree and say that in this case the Patchface card is not being played optimally. It just forces you to discard that card without playing it and draw your new hand, that card remaining in the discard pile. This would have happened normally, but now you don't get to use that card. If that card wasn't too powerful than it helps you out, if it was good/medium than it can hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim W
msg tools
Actually, I think this is a quite interesting case.

According to the FAQ, if Patchface is played when Baratheon's opponent has 1 card left, the following occurs (in this order):

1. Combat is resolved.
2. Combatants can reconstitute their hands. Baratheon's opponent, having used their last card, reconstitutes their hand.
3. Baratheon invokes Patchface and removes a card from their opponents' hand.

However, if the opponent has two cards left, wouldn't the following occur?

1. Combat is resolved.
2. Combatants can reconstitute their hands. Baratheon's opponent, having one card remaining, cannot reconstitute their hand.
3. Baratheon invokes Patchface and removes the last card from their opponent's hand.

Given this ordering, it would appear to imply that Baratheon's opponent cannot reconstitute their hand until after their next battle -- meaning they cannot use any cards in their next battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
Microbadge: Twitch fanMicrobadge: Merry Christmas, you filthy animalsMicrobadge: Nintendo Switch fanMicrobadge: Golden CamelMicrobadge: Dragon Dice fan
In fact, there's a Wildling card that could cause somebody to discard their last card, so there are two possible ways to discard your last card and end up with no hand, as per the rules. Until an official ruling from FFG, I would house rule that the last card discarded and left discarded, while the other 6 return to the player's hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Jeda
msg tools
I thought you always had to play a house card unless they used Tyrion against you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brad sheehan
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
very interesting. I would say that the card patchface makes you discard stays down and you get the other 6 back...but i can see the reasoning in goldbach's argument....needs to go to FFG for official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: Noble Knight of the Love ThreadMicrobadge: Tolkien fan
I'm sure there will be clarification that every time you lose your last card you get 6 back to hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
Awesome Possum
Microbadge: The Resistance fanMicrobadge: The Resistance: Coup fanMicrobadge: Fantasy Flight Games fanMicrobadge: A Game of Thrones fanMicrobadge: Blizzard Entertainment fan
Radziol wrote:
I'm sure there will be clarification that every time you lose your last card you get 6 back to hand.
I agree. It seems like this is what FF intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls