Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry if I have this wrong as I have never played nor really looked at MoV but I did know that there was an IP battle of this game... is this FFG re-working of the art and fluffy to keep their hand in this game?

Sky Traders.

Again not trying to stir up the nest - but this news just popped on my feed.

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the news about this title today and to be honest, it didn't occur to me that this might be a retheme of MoV. But wow, that certainly could be the case. The game's description certainly has strong similarities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's a totally different game.

FFG will be doing Merchant of Venus, in fact it is listed on their website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:

Do you have some insider info or did they finally resolve the rights issues?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of Wormwood wrote:
Sorry if I have this wrong as I have never played nor really looked at MoV but I did know that there was an IP battle of this game... is this FFG re-working of the art and fluffy to keep their hand in this game?

Sky Traders.

Again not trying to stir up the nest - but this news just popped on my feed.

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood

I had the same thought for a moment, but Sky Traders is coming from Dust Games, so it is unlikely that it replaces MoV. It also seems to be a much simpler game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:

Do you have some insider info or did they finally resolve the rights issues?

The way I have been looking at this is that FFG must continue on with publishing MoV. The bought the rights from Hasbro and have invested money into art and production.
At this point, they must proceed. The only thing that would stop them is an injunction from a court. They need to protect and their investment as they have done nothing wrong here.
Either Hasbro had the rights to sell, or not. That will be decided later, in the mean time, FFG continues on unless stopped.
If they are stopped, Hasbro is liable for FFG's expenses since they sold rights they might not own. If not, they hit the market first and sell MoV. I doubt the market can support two versions of the same game and Stronghold's version never comes to be.
In either case, it seems to be in FFG's best interest to continue onward and either produce the game and make profit from it, or be shut down and have a case against Hasbro.
Of course, I could be WAY off base on this, but just the way I have looked at this since the dispute first erupted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing we know for sure is that the issue is unresolved. Until FF or Stronghold issues an updated announcement, I think it's best to avoid speculation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading somewhere that stronghold games will be allowed to announce something this month as far as what is going on behind closed doors. Whatever that means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are going to stick both editions in a dark game closet, toss in some wine, play Barry White music and see what pops out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Joelist wrote:

Its been on their website with no changes or additions since they made their counter announcement. Just being there means only as much now as it did then.

ScottH wrote:

The way I have been looking at this is that FFG must continue on with publishing MoV. The bought the rights from Hasbro and have invested money into art and production.
At this point, they must proceed. The only thing that would stop them is an injunction from a court. They need to protect and their investment as they have done nothing wrong here.
Either Hasbro had the rights to sell, or not. That will be decided later, in the mean time, FFG continues on unless stopped.
If they are stopped, Hasbro is liable for FFG's expenses since they sold rights they might not own. If not, they hit the market first and sell MoV. I doubt the market can support two versions of the same game and Stronghold's version never comes to be.
In either case, it seems to be in FFG's best interest to continue onward and either produce the game and make profit from it, or be shut down and have a case against Hasbro.
Of course, I could be WAY off base on this, but just the way I have looked at this since the dispute first erupted.

While they might continue forward with the publishing process I really doubt they'd release it before the issue was settled. Even if Hasbro picked up the tab it would still be a huge mess for them things went Stronghold's way. It would be a PR nightmare, put a burden on the retailers, and Hasbro would probably turn their lawyers on them in an attempt to pay out as little as possible. If they win FFG will have lost nothing by delaying shipping a bit longer for everything to be settled, especially since they probably have the warehouse space to cover it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
tckoppang wrote:
The only thing we know for sure is that the issue is unresolved. Until FF or Stronghold issues an updated announcement, I think it's best to avoid speculation.

What BGG did you join?
I agree with you, but avoidance of speculation is anathema here. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wish people looked at the picture for Sky Traders and realize the components are completely different from Merchant of Venus: Sky Traders has hex tiles for example.

There's this wonderful database that has pictures and reviews and commentary and stuff about almost every board game ever printed. I can't remember what it is called.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
I just wish people looked at the picture for Sky Traders and realize the components are completely different from Merchant of Venus: Sky Traders has hex tiles for example.

Rex: Final Days of an Empire vs Dune
Fury of Dracula (second edition) vs The Fury of Dracula

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Joelist wrote:

Its been on their website with no changes or additions since they made their counter announcement. Just being there means only as much now as it did then.

This. Both Sky Trader AND Merchant of Venus show up on the catalog page, which I doubt they would do if they were the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
The number of players makes it pretty obvious, I think anyway. If it were a re-theme they'd go with the 2-4 with plans for an expansion. This Sky Traders game is 2-5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.