Subject: STRUGGLING IN A DITCH rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Midst my practise game and I'm starting to feel the charm of this games simplicity.

I just have to make my self not think to difficult or realisticly.

So, busy with the first scenario, the one with the americans main objective being to get out of there.

In this scenareo the terrains shows a number of ditches or entrenchements on the left side.
In one of them is a gun and the english player has now moved his dragoons onto the hill 2hex away.

So lets see if I got this right.

As there is an entrenchement between them they can not see nor fire.
right?

But on my next english move, I plan to move the dragoons into the hex next to the gun.
Seems a bit silly to have horse in a trench, but no problem in this game.

So what happens now.
I assume both sides can now 'slug it out?
I know the dragoons can move and fire, but after that they are stuck in the trench until their nex turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Which scenario? Glad to see you got the game! It is definitely fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the first one in the book.
forgot you don't have to play it in any particular order.

It's the one where the americans have to try and get out of a difficult position.

As said I've got my dragoons almost in the trenches and am following up with my 3 light units, outflanking the american line of defence so I can cut of their retreat.

Good to here from you Charles.
While I was at it, I also went and ordered the indian expansion at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Kings mountain is the best starting scenario just because it really shows off the game mechanics of guerrilla warfare and simplicity of using just infantry. Make sure to try some of the advanced rules. Definitely changes things up a bit.

They can see you in an entrenchment and fire at a -1 DRM.
They cannot shoot behind an entrenchment as it blocks line of site

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh I just went with the first one in the book.
I figure I'll teach them the game, play a few battles and than move on to the advanced rule.

I'm still having a bit of a problem understanding the retreat rule and how far you must go.

You know I visited King's Mountain and Cowpens when we were in the States, so that makes those battles especially interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live very close to there. Ive been to Kings Mountain, not cowpens (hope to this summer)
Only retreat 1 space (except leaders can go up to 3)
Funny thing about this game is almost all terrain is 1 -1DRM, or a move one space, or roll 3 dice. So easy to remember the rules :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's genious is in it's simplicity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question, as the game moves on and most americans are no behind the trenches.

I've got this american commander with a gun and a infantry unit in this trench.

Now two hexes removed is this gun supported by infantry, happily blasting away at said trench.

roles 5 5 2...
modified that will be 4 4 1.

So now I'm wondering: a 1 would mean the leader has to role to see if he's a cassualty.
But I'm wondering if this is true, I mean doesn't this only applie when you actually role a 1
Or does it also count when the role is modified to 1
My guess is the first option.

OH and I am correct in thinking the defender gets to decide which of his units takes damage... right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My check of the rules did not state anything specific about leader casualty checks being only unmodified 1s, but I play it like you. I believe the intent of the rules is that only unmodified die rolls of 1 can cause leader casualties (otherwise being in protective terrain would increase the odds of a leader being hit!)

The rules state that the "higher value" unit in a stack takes the hit, but in case of a tie, the owning player decides which unit is hit. I assume 4 is higher "value" than 3 and so on. The rules don't define the term "value".

I hope this helps. I do like this game, but don't have local opponents. I'm gotta learn how to vassal someday!! BTW, I've hiked the Cowpens battlefield, but not Kings' Mountain. Cowpens had a nice visitors' center with some good DVDs about the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks George, helpfull as ever.

It's been a long time since we were there and I must go and take a look at the pictures again, soon.

I've not yet mastered vassel.
I keep trying but than find things complicated and decide I'd rather stick the energy in playing a real boardgame.

I reckon you could play this game by e-mail if you number the hexes, like you'd do with chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.