Subject: Future expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is De Profundis going to be the only expansion, or might there be more on the way?

Not that the game actually needs anything more - I'd be content with the variety from the main box*, and that's without considering the expansion and the wonderful support from Asmodee releasing lots of new scenarios, but I'm curious if there might be more to come.

Well, "curious" isn't the whole story. I'm not over the moon about how things fit into the original box, and can feel another one of my wooden box projects looming on the horizon. I just don't want to make a box that is "obsolete" (see my Dominion project) as soon as it's finished.

* variety - comparing with Descent, there *is* no comparison. I never felt much compulsion to play a Descent scenario more than a couple of times; I've not played much Claustrophobia yet, but each of the three games - all of the same scenario - has felt pretty different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
England
Barnard Castle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
not the nose, not the nose!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:

Not that the game actually needs anything more

I think that statement hit's the nail on the head. this game really does need nothing more.

If I had to think of something though, I would like a better way to have more players involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always up for more expansions on games that I love, even if they don't really need them. I think that Claustrophobia defeats that a bit though because there's less randomness in your party selection, item selection, enemies, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back before De Profundis was announced, I was one of those who said I didn't think Claustrophobia needed an expansion. I thought the base game was perfect, and I've seen many expansions which I felt detracted from good games because they added needless complication.

Needless to say, De Profundis was awesome and totally won me over once I saw it. CROC managed to enhance the game without changing its basic nature. I have no idea whether he envisions another expansion or not, but if he does, I absolutely have faith in his ability to do it the right way. Whether or not we ever see another expansion, Claustrophobia will remain one of my all time favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Brunell
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing sure, more free scenarios will be available. There's one more on the French site then on the English site, I'm late, my bad, but it is coming very soon.

For a complete expansion, it's not on the planning but if there's something that improve the game, it's certain Croc will have to think about it. But it have to be a real improvement, otherwise free scenarios are the best thing we can give.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Sphere wrote:
Back before De Profundis was announced, I was one of those who said I didn't think Claustrophobia needed an expansion. I thought the base game was perfect, and I've seen many expansions which I felt detracted from good games because they added needless complication.

Needless to say, De Profundis was awesome and totally won me over once I saw it. CROC managed to enhance the game without changing its basic nature. I have no idea whether he envisions another expansion or not, but if he does, I absolutely have faith in his ability to do it the right way. Whether or not we ever see another expansion, Claustrophobia will remain one of my all time favorite games.

I'm the opposite. I was looking forward to an expansion but when De Profundis arrived I realised that the game doesn't need one. I'm not saying De Profundis is bad by any stretch - it's great! However its not so much an expansion as it is a new set of scenarios. The only 'expansion element' in it really is the new demon dogs. That's it, there are no other rule changes. There are a couple of new cards and some new tiles. The rest is scenarios.
I don't think the game needs any new miniature types really. New big demons are nice, but they are more about scenario design then an element to the core game itself. Tiles I'm the same - there are more than enough now.

So rather than another expansion box I'd rather future expansions be a scenario book, that comes with maybe a packet of new cards for the existing decks. No new core elements.
Heck I'd love to get a book with all the existing free scenarios in it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Then you are in luck!

I've got two nicely printed scenario books that somebody set up (I think it was on lulu.com) which I sent away for. One says Official Scenarios on the cover, and has (I think) 14 scenarios. The second says Deliver Us From Evil on the cover, and has 6 more (one is a campaign).

These are on nice stock, comparable to the actual rules, and have the standard layout, etc. I'm thinking I paid something like $16 for the two of them, including shipping. I don't have the link handy, but if somebody knows it, please provide it here. If nobody has done so by the time I get back later this evening, I'll dig around for it myself.

Never fear, Skelly, we'll hook you up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

So rather than another expansion box I'd rather future expansions be a scenario book, that comes with maybe a packet of new cards for the existing decks. No new core elements.

A scenario book would be awesome.

Edit: That link would be great to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found it. See this thread:

Additional Content Books (now available for purchase)

The books are very, very nicely done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see additional scenarios with possibly more Demons and definitely new tiles and cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Sphere wrote:
Found it. See this thread:

Additional Content Books (now available for purchase)

The books are very, very nicely done.

Awesome I just order it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note, I posted a book of all the scenarios and the campaign except the brand new one "The Great Crossing" which will be updated soon. It's in the file section, and I would appreciate some feedback. After the upcoming update, I'm going to print it and show it off here. If you would rather not order one, you can always print the one I posted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received a copy of the 2011 scenario & campaign books. Look nicer than my laser-printed versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weaver
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They made one that I got recently where one person can play as a smart dinosaur with sword arms. It's pretty cool.

Thanks game is so #$^^ing elegant, cool, and fun! Where is that Croc guy making other things??????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.