Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uuuuuuuugh I really want to blatantly rip off the Lord of the Rings card game and give it a Farscape theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rivera
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
LUCHADOR!
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Firefly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would there be enough material for a Firefly game?

I've not gotten around to watching it yet but there weren't that many episodes right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rivera
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
LUCHADOR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a lot but the universe is pretty rich IMHO. The Serenty film adds to it. If only you could get the rights!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wanless
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
Uuuuuuuugh I really want to blatantly rip off the Lord of the Rings card game and give it a Farscape theme.

My wife would love that. She loves Farscape. I was wanting to make a Farscape game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose I could do the whole "I don't have the rights but I'm just doing it for my own interest etc etc etc" thing.

Still, the Farscape Encyclopedia Project website would actually make it viable as it lists pretty much everything from the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought many times that a Farscape card game would be awesome. I've dreamed up a couple designs over the years but never went any further. Not sure that a LOTR LCG clone would do it justice though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wanless
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought her the pen and paper RPG book for Farscape not to play, just cause it had a ton of info about races, worlds and what not.

Should write Fantasy Flight and tell them to get the rights to it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the same as you really Drew. I've jotted numerous things down, co-ops, trust mechanics and various ways of breeching the subject matter but it's tough. This would work I think though it would of course be limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're either looking at crew co-op (like Lord of the Rings), or something with Scorpius and Crichton battling for wormhole knowledge/control of his mind, or just focus on the wars at the end...

Why the card game idea works for me is that a few "missions" could be set up for each series.

There's that Doctor Who stories book that seems to be really successful and popular so it shows that an intelligent pnp designer can release a series of "packs" within a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My take on a Firefly Board Game: Each player controls one of four factions, The Federal Alliance, The Blue Sun Corporation, the Fringe Syndicates, or the Companions Guild. In the middle of the board, are a bunch of pieces representing various Independents on various planets.

This is basically a worker placement game where you don't actually own or control any of the workers. Instead, you must assault, persuade, bribe, recruit, and threaten, the Independents to move to the places you want. Once they are there, they will have no option but to attempt to perform the action associated with that space, and if they fail then they will die.

You must carefully plan the movement of your Independents, but foil the plans of your rivals who are also trying to move those same pieces to where they want to go! Be careful, if your Independents get in a crossfire they can't get out of, both sides will acquire Contempt. The more Contempt you acquire, the more brute force will be necessary to move the Independents, and the more costly and risky those actions will be for everyone involved. Acquiring Contempt makes it easier for opponents without Contempt to peacefully persuade or bribe the Independents to do their bidding, instead of yours.

Manipulate the Independents like the pawns they are, and cut off their options until they are forced to do what you want, where you want. But don't get them stuck in a crossfire with rival factions -- if Independents get stuck between a rock and a hard place, they have a tendency to get themselves unstuck at your expense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be sure to reference the "Crackers Don't Matter" Farscape episode someplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
My take on a Firefly Board Game...

And don't forget the Reavers that make a habit of gobbling up your pawns...I mean independents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a short lived Knight Hawks fan conversion to Farscape.
Then Steve Jackson killed it off.

AEG has out the official Farscape RPG.
Margaret Weis also has out the official Firefly/Serenity RPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you do Farscape, I think it should be all wacky and random, and lots of stuff that just seems to come out of nowhere ... cuz that's how I felt while watching that show. Of course, I wasn't able to watch it back-to-back ... yet ... I'm still hoping to find a good deal on a DVD collection.

I did manage to find a DVD collection of Firefly, and that show has a special place in my heart ... right up there with Babylon 5 and Space: Above and Beyond.

In fact, reading all this got me to watching the pilot episode again.

My favorite parts are really the kind of stuff that feels like "barely surviving and loving it":

Spoiler alert ...
from the very end of the pilot episode wrote:
Simon: You had the Alliance on you, criminals and savages… half the people on this ship have been shot or wounded, including yourself, and you’re harboring known fugitives.

Mal: We’re still flying.

Simon: that’s not much.

Mal: It’s enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.