David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
Keep Crom and crush you enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I've played this game twice now and I just can't get into it. Maybe im not cut out to be a block wargamer.

I have listed it for sale on the marketplace for 35 pounds if anyone is interested in buying it at that bargain price. It really is in mint condition.

Shame really I was looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brimer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a shame. I had the same experience with Troyes. Good luck with future buys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was a brit, I'd take you up on the offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suit yourself, but 2 plays is not enough for any wargame to pass judgment upon, IMO. The possibility exists you:

1) had a poor playing partner detracting from the experience, or
2) you played wrong thereby detracting from the experience, or
3) you lost giving you a negative experience.

If I were you I'd complete my profile out so people know where you are (Although the United Kingdom is almost as small as Rhode Island, it's still got alot of towns/villages where people gather together to drink warm beer!) and look for a F2F partner to play several games some weekend back to back, over said beer. Advertise yourself.

2 plays is not enough, though. Especially for a quick playing 'wargame' like JC.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Dalgliesh
United States
Blaine
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you tell us a little more about your experiences playing? Although JC cannot be for everyone, I'm still unclear what makes a block gamer and what doesn't... (and I'd really like to know)

Mark asked three questions above that would be a great start to the discussion.

And anything else you would like to add would be appreciated. Occasionally I have seen new players get "stuck" now knowing how to break a logjam and finding their attacks often fail.

We can add some insight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

I am currently considering my first foray into the world of wargaming and have just started looking at this one on the recommendation of other wargamers (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8909334#8909334)

Can you say specifically what you didn't like about this game?

I guess it's kinda strange for you to have to sell your game by explaining what you don't like about it shake

Whatever happens - I hope that you get a buyer and find another game that you prefer...

(By the way, is there a solo variant for this game?)

Cheers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
(Although the United Kingdom is almost as small as Rhode Island, it's still got alot of towns/villages where people gather together to drink warm beer!) and look for a F2F partner to play several games some weekend back to back, over said beer. Advertise yourself.

2 plays is not enough, though. Especially for a quick playing 'wargame' like JC.

Good Luck!

That REALLY made me smile

Aahhh, America - three thousand miles wide and one inch deep... (touche)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JC is a quick game in only being 5 years long, so is fun that way, but advancing military is slow (ancient times anyway). Hammer of the Scotsis a bit more complex than JC but it can be much faster moving and side switch between offense and defense. JC is much more of Pompey (almost) always playing defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.