Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Roderick
United States
Morganton
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
God’s purpose for my life was that I have a passion for God’s glory and that I have a passion for my joy in that glory, and these two are one passion.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up 1776, 2nd Edition, at auction and I am really looking forward to playing. After looking over the forums and files on the Geek, I discovered the 3rd Edition rules update and all the additional scenarios.

Right at the beginning of the 3rd Edition rules, I find that "Players must obtain the new counters to play the 3rd Edition." I haven't delved further into those rules because I'm not ready to shell out cash again (unless it's a very small amount), nor can I determine easily what the new counters cost from BGG (maybe I haven't looked in the right place).

Are there any experienced players out there who can tell me, since the 3rd Edition seems to be a significant update, whether there are portions of those rules I can/should use without having the new counters? Is it a big handicap, if I plan to eventually pick up the counters, to learn (and teach) the 2nd Edition rules instead until that time arrives?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you look at the counters in the Files section? You can probably make your own set for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Pratto
United States
Peabody
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use all the rules in the 3rd Ed. except for the Leaders, Partisans & Elite Units sections. There are a lot of clarifications to the 2nd Edition you might find helpful. However, the complete set of counters is posted in the 1776 folder under Images. They are the ones entitled "from Cyberboard v5.0 gamebox". I don't think you can buy these counters anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roderick
United States
Morganton
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
God’s purpose for my life was that I have a passion for God’s glory and that I have a passion for my joy in that glory, and these two are one passion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Did you look at the counters in the Files section? You can probably make your own set for free.

Thank you for replying. I did look at those counters, and I have done a lot of PnP stuff on my own before. I am not opposed to making my own, but I am low on supplies and "free" for me means more laminating sheets, new knife blades, ink, adhesive, and several hours (not to mention a few other minor needs), and I tend toward perfectionism so things have to look pretty good or they get re-done. All told, it will cost me well over twice what I paid for the game to get the things I need just for several extra counters, and then the hours to make them.

Of course, if that's what I have to do, eventually I'll do it. (Or I'll get Andrew Tullsen to make them for me over at PnP Productions...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've got a 1st edition unpunched sitting here. Is it playable as-is, or was the second ed needed due to a defective rulebook, or something like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.