Popular Tags: [View All]
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More to the point, damn the fact I can't draw any when I need them!

The fact only torpedoes can hit carrier shields is often a frustrating one... as I have horrible luck in drawing them. Having to sit around and suck up damage while waiting for the shields to go down is frustrating. Doubly so when I have two full racks of bombs!

It's also theme breaking that I don't have any torpedoes until I randomly draw them. The cards make sense in terms of representing accurate shots on the enemy... but how in the blazes do you MISS a carrier?

I've had a few thoughts on new rules to dodge the torpedo drought and associated game stall...

1: "3 Hits may be played as 1 torpedo". It's easy enough to get 3 hit cards, but there's a serious tradeoff here. Is it worth 1 hit on the carrier to forgo 3 hits on the enemy gunship? If it's the last point of shields and I can now do my bombing runs... YES

2: "You can auto hit with a torpedo card, or you can make a roll to hit", This gets risky, because you'll take a beating for a CHANCE at 1 damage. I don't think the standard 5-6 hit would be appropriate here. I would say 4-6, but with the engraved dice, that doesn't work. I would go with 3-6 (Showing Bombs or Carrier Hits) equals 1 hit.

3: The simplest would be "Bombs work against shields" but then there's no difference between shields and hull for carriers...

3a: Alternately, "1 full rack of bombs does 1 hit to carrier shields. No rolling, just a fixed 1 damage"

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since I haven't had the pleasure of playing the game yet, I think I will have to wait to comment. :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
We've actually been toying around with the effect of Thruster Bombs on Carrier Shields in recent playtest. Perhaps I was a little hasty in thinking that Bombs do NO damage to them.

I would be willing to explore a trade-off whereby Thruster Bombs do ONE hit to a Carrier's Shields but cannot be modified (similar to how a Torpedo works already)

I wrote a whole explanation somewhere where I described our vision of how Thruster Bombs work and why they do not hurt Shields, but heck they should do SOMETHING. Forgive me if I do not go over the details again. Let's just say that they are Bunker Buster in design and channel their explosive force "sideways" after burrowing down into a ship's hull.

But using 3 to do a Hit to the Shields can work. You'll have to decide if you want to use a whole set of Bombs for that one damage or do you want to wait and possible do up to 6 damage later.

If you notice, the game is somewhat split into two "stages". The part BEFORE the Carrier's Shields go down and the "end game" when they are knocked out and the players focus on Attack Runs. By allowing the Bombs to damage the Shields a little bit, nothing is taken away from this and if anything it gives MORE options as you can now do Bombs on both Wings without having it be a wasted effort.

I think this will be much better and don't know how we missed it before. Based on what I know of the game and the system (which is a LOT) I think this will work well. We'll test this all weekend.

As far as drawing Torpedoes, there are plenty of them in the deck and I usually end up with more of them than I can possible risk using. Every game goes differently - perhaps you need to hire a new Torp Crew? lol your boys load them SLOW - mine are Torp-loading machines!

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Pardo
Spain
Madrid
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Steve, little point in starting the fight with 6 bombs, better have some guns and once the shields are almost down go back to carrier to get the bomb load. If bombs could remove shields almost everybody will carry some of them from the start, because bombs are non card dependant so if you draw bad cards or one of your weapons systems is ionized you can always drop bombs and hope to remove shield and not sure if this would be fair or real.

The way it works seems very correct and thematic to me, first destroy enemy defences (fighters and shields), then you can bomb the enemy.

If gunships could remove carrier shield faster, the game would end sooner I guess. Is all about the number of copies every kind of card is on the deck. Same complain could be made if the gunship has no ion guns and you draw a bunch of ion cards, doesn´t make sense in real live, but it can make it on the game mechanism (maybe guns got overloaded, torpedo launcher got jammed, etc).

If you can´t with the shields, focus in obliterating the enemy gunship with all your ion or blaster hits. If you destroy the gunship then once the enemy carrier shields are down you can load bombs and destroy the carrier unmolested.

Just my 2 cents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Jigsaw Man
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A potential consideration:

Create a wing-weapon that is a torpedo, playable directly from the wing in the same way as the thruster bombs. This would make it somewhat easier to knock out the carrier shields, (a dedicated player could do it in just a few turns)and would create a much sharper cut between the two phases of the game. Once the shields go down, you'll want to go change your armament out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Stockton
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like the idea of allowing thruster bombs to do a maximum of 1 shield damage *if* all three actually hit (or if that chance is too low maybe require a minimum of two bombs hitting). So instead of the guaranteed damage of the torpedo, here you simply get a *chance* to take down one shield.

It could be explained in fluff by needing to precisely re-calibrate the detonation codes in order to achieve a shield damaging detonation.

Once carriers are flushed out a bit more, you could even test a rule saying that if all three bombs hit, the first two punch a hole in the shields allowing for the third to actually hit the hull of the carrier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.