Thunderstone: Thornwood Siege» Forums » Rules

Subject: Power Word: Kill - Overpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dork Angel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have used this card in several games and have come to the conclusion it's just too overpowered.

Lets take a look what it does.

Pros.

Kills a monster with VP between 2 and 5 depending on the level of your highest cleric/wizard and gives XP for the kill.
Avoids battle effects from the monster it kills.
Is a dungeon effect so it happens before battle and refills the hall. This means monsters behind the kill move closer to the light (worth +2 if you are lacking light).
Works as a single or in multiples. As a dungeon effect you can use more than one of them if you have it regardless of how many clerics/wizards in your hand.

Cons.

Costs 9 gold
No Gold value in village

---
Now a look at a couple of it's competitors.

Competitor 1 - Claymore

Pro's

3 gold in village
+5 attack
Remove one monster worth 1 or 2 VP to your discard pile

Con's

Costs 7 gold
You need someone with 8 strength to use it which ain't easy.
You don't get XP for the additional kill.
It only removes a monster worth 1 or 2 VP (I include this as a pro and con because generally these monsters are known as Deck Cloggers...)
While it avoids the battle effects of the card it kills, you still face the battle effects of the card you fight before you get to use it's dungeon effect and monsters that small don't usually have bad battle effects.
Multiple copies in hand not much use as you need someone to wield each one (exception being a level 2 or 3 Toryn)

Competitor 2 - Creeping Death

Pro's

Reduce each monster's health by 2.
Give every other player a disease card.
Avoid the battle effects of any monsters killed by it.
Get XP for the kill/s.

Con's

Cost 11
Worth no gold in village
Only really kills something when you have multiple copies in play other wise it's just a +2 (ignoring the annoyance factor of giving other players diseases)
---
Summary.

Although Claymore is cheaper, it has huge restrictions on when it can be played due to it's massive strength requirements. It's additional ability if used will fill your deck with small low value monsters without any XP reward. Multiple copies in hand are mostly worthless unless you're in the village.

Creeping Death is a spoiler card. The first time you get to use it, it's fun hitting the other players with up to 6 diseases every few turns, but it spoils their game (Rest - Get rid of Disease. Rest - Get rid of disease, etc). This means it's one of those cards which everyone is forced to buy so one player can't get their hands on too many copies because if they do everyone else is in for a world of pain (well, festering boils anyway). Since it costs 11 gold, you are also forced to buy cards simply for their gold value over their tactical value. It's a good card but a hateful one too. This one is often voted out anytime it's drawn. (we draw 9 cards then vote one out)

Power Word: Kill just seems to do everything too well. No battle effects, XP for the kills (so you can upgrade your wizard/cleric to make it more powerful) and use before combat to refill the hall possibly moving the bigger monsters closer to the light. It's not annoying enough to get voted out and whether you draw one or several you may get to use them all.

Personally I would remove the XP for the kills on any card that kills a monster but doesn't involve a battle. I think this would turn it down just enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
I'd include Thyrian Lord (Level 3) and Thundermage Bolter (Level 3) in this list as well. The Thyrian Lord behaves similarly to the others, in allowing the player to gain an extra Monster. The Thundermage Bolter doesn't net an extra Monster, but she does allow the player to bypass combat.

I haven't seen Power Word: Kill abused much, partly because of necessary combo with a Wizard/Cleric (I think I actually find Claymore easier to combo with). Creeping Death, because it stacks, is a bit more nefarious, in my opinion. Especially against a monster whose health is increased by a battle effect (e.g. Basilisks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dork Angel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have those 2 cards so I didn't include them (I've DS, WotE, DL, TWS and a few promo's).

A Wizard/Cleric isn't necessary but just makes them more powerful (2 + the level of your highest wizard/cleric. 2 + 0 is still 2). The real killer for Claymore is the strength requirement. No hero can wield it at level 1 without the help of an iron rations or two. That makes it a 3 or even 4 card combo. There's even a good chance you won't even have a hero out that can wield it at level 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
djbcrawford wrote:
I don't have those 2 cards so I didn't include them (I've DS, WotE, DL, TWS and a few promo's).

A Wizard/Cleric isn't necessary but just makes them more powerful (2 + the level of your highest wizard/cleric. 2 + 0 is still 2). The real killer for Claymore is the strength requirement. No hero can wield it at level 1 without the help of an iron rations or two. That makes it a 3 or even 4 card combo. There's even a good chance you won't even have a hero out that can wield it at level 3.

Yeah, you're right. There's a big difference between a village card that is immediately usable (Power Word Kill, Creeping Death), and one that requires extra finessing to use (Claymore).

Out of 63 total heroes (across all sets, promos), 12 have at least one level with strength 8+. That works out to about a 62% chance of getting at least one Claymore-friendly hero. Most of these reach strength 8 at level 3+. Outlands, Thyrian, Toryn, and Deep all reach this strength at level 2. Having Runespawn in the mix doesn't hurt either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.