Subject: What kind of chip board do YOU use? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: diy [+] pnp [+] [View All]
bruce ross
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Looking to make some nice sized 1" square counters for a WW2 boardgame that I want to expand.

Can you DIY pros tell me what chipboard you use (where you buy it from also?)

And, what tool(s) do you use to cut it.

Price isn't too much of an issue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
If there is a Dick Blick near you, that is where I get my nice chipboard. They have lots of different thicknesses. Otherwise, I just pull some of the sheets from between the stacks of merchandise at Sams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the following: http://www.dickblick.com/products/all-purpose-chipboard/

I use the 14 ply for my game boards, but I'm not a wargamer, so I can't speak for that. I think it should work pretty well for tiles, but the thicker stuff definitely should if you can figure out a way to cut it

As it is the 14 ply stuff usually takes me 2 cuts to get through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get double-thick chipboard from my local Jerry's Artarama. It's about $6 for a large sheet.

(Mind you, it's almost worth paying for a Sam's membership to get it for free like that...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruce ross
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
What are we using to cut that chip board gents?

Is the 30 ply too think for counters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan S.
Canada
Montréal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acctingman wrote:

I make all my counters with single thick chipboard and with pasted art or backing on both sides they are almost the same thickness as most commercial boardgame counters. Double thick might be a bit too thick for just counters and quite harder to cut straight I would assume. I only use 30ply for game boards or large tiles. Considering a lot of people make counters with even thinner, cereal-box-type of cardboard, I think single thick is more than enough.

As for cutting most people, myself included, use a good quality rotary cutter with a nice sharp blade guided by a metal ruler with cork or rubber backing. You will curse a lot at first trying to get used to it (I know I did) but when you "get it" you won't want to go back to usual cutting tools. Of course using an exacto or snap blade cutter is possible but you will need to apply much more pressure with those, especially for 30 ply. And getting clean straight cuts without scratching the sides of the art or tearing the cardboard at some point is more difficult, at least for me, with those.

Hope it helps !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used picture matting sheets from Aaron Bros. (but they're no longer in business in my area) and have also found thin sheets that work for cards at Costco between the merchandise.

To cut them I've tried using a utility knife (works ok) and also a rotary cutter that gave a better cut but was a bit harder to keep on a straight line even with an edge to cut against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And, of course, you need to use a cork-backed metal ruler to guide the cutting blade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Blacktales wrote:
As for cutting most people, myself included, use a good quality rotary cutter with a nice sharp blade guided by a metal ruler with cork or rubber backing. You will curse a lot at first trying to get used to it (I know I did) but when you "get it" you won't want to go back to usual cutting tools. Of course using an exacto or snap blade cutter is possible but you will need to apply much more pressure with those, especially for 30 ply. And getting clean straight cuts without scratching the sides of the art or tearing the cardboard at some point is more difficult, at least for me, with those.
I have still not got to the point where I can reliably cut straight lines with a rotary cutter and metal rules. So what I do is use a metal ruler and a craft knife to cut a guide line (I find it much easier to cut those straight), and then finish off the cut with the rotary cutter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fivecats wrote:
I get double-thick chipboard from my local Jerry's Artarama. It's about $6 for a large sheet.

(Mind you, it's almost worth paying for a Sam's membership to get it for free like that...)

Jerry's is the best. The one in Austin is staffed by the city's smartest hippies! I kid, but they really do know their stuff.

I like two-ply chipboard, but I'm not too proud to use the chipboard from a pad paper or anything of the sort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acctingman wrote:

I use a snap blade cutter in tandem with a metal ruler. It works well enough for me...I tried a rotary cutter but it must have been a cheap one because it just didn't work ).

30 ply seems rather thick for counters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.