MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While the hosts of Isengard march on the outnumbered soldiers of Rohan holing up at Helm's Deep, over in part III, it's probably a good time to get things moving on:

Part 4 - The War of the Ring.
--------------------------------------------------------------
With Saruman defeated and rendered powerless, the forces of the West rush to the aid of Minas Tirith - Gandalf and Pippin rally the troops at the citadel, Theoden and the Rohirrim gather for their final crusade, and Aragorn takes the Paths of the Dead to raise an unstoppable army.

I propose to start this game on Wednesday, September 14th, and will follow a standard format (each day of game is one real day). Lynch time at 1 PM BGG. Night generally will end at 5 PM BGG.

If you've signed up for the prior games, please let me know again if you're willing/able to play this game - I know schedules are starting to interfere with people's ability to play. If you've not played yet - what the heck are you waiting for? Sign up!!!

To make the game a bit more interesting (and to keep the tradition going of each LOTR game having some screwy rules), not all the roles listed below will actually be in the game. I will randomly determine which roles will appear, but players will not know in advance which roles have been included.

Current Player Roster:
----------------------
shugyosha
jmilum
Melsana
kuchick
arkibet
Rukasu
dalestephenson
Spielguy
silverpenny
deadkenny
xandryyte
ptper
Anonymouse512
dbmurph22
Noaceyet
Gregarius
Tarrant
bwt2q
Stuey
BagpipeDan
jaredh

Have 20 (Spielguy replaces seanp, who is going on a freakin' vacation for some unknown reason... and then Peregrine drops, but kuchick is in...) - We're ready to go, but I'll accept more if more want to play!

ROLES

Good Roles

Gandalf - The seer. Each night Gandalf may learn what side a player serves (exact roles not revealed in this game). Gandalf may send a message through the moderator, that may contain any information on player(s) that he wishes. (NOTE: If a player has been assigned the hidden role of "Troll", and Gandalf scans that player BEFORE the role has been activated by Gothmog, that player will register as "Good" to Gandalf. If the role IS activated, and that person is the Troll, then the person reads as "Evil" to Gandalf.)

Aragorn - The heir of Isildur must search each night for the King of the Dead (see below). If Aragorn successfully recruits the King of the Dead, then the KOD is activated and uses his powers. (Note: If Aragorn is included as a role, the King of the Dead will be guaranteed to be in the game.) Also, if Aragorn attempts to recruit a player and that player is Legolas or Gimli, he will learn that player's role.

Eowyn - Niece to King Theoden, disguised as a soldier of Rohan. If the villains target Eowyn or Theoden for a kill at night, and the Witch King is still alive, then the Witch King is killed instead and Eowyn/Theoden will survive the kill. (Otherwise, Eowyn can be lynched/killed as normal.)

Legolas - Begins the game knowing the identities of Aragorn and Gimli (if in the game). May PM with Gimli only.

Gimli - Begins the game knowing the identities of Aragorn and Legolas (if in the game). May PM with Legolas only.

King Theoden - The "delayed bodyguard", akin to Tom Bombadil from game one. Once during the game he can declare a specific number of players "safe" from the villain's kill that night. The number of players he can protect increases with each day that passes (the longer he waits, the more forces of Rohan he can muster for the battle.)

King of the Dead (hidden role) - At the game start the King of the Dead is secretly assigned to one player, but that player will not know he/she is the King of the Dead until Aragorn successfully "recruits" him or her. Once the King of the Dead is active, the player may declare his role openly in the forum - a valid declaration by the player allows all dead players (lynched or killed) to then re-join the game for voting purposes only. The King of the Dead can not be lynched or killed - any attempt to do so will fail. However, the king of the dead is - well, already dead, so although the King of the Dead is still in the game and can post/vote/participate, the KOD does NOT count toward the "villager" totals any longer for purposes of victory conditions (e.g., if there are 2 villains and 3 good players, and the KOD is one of the good players, then the villains win).

Merry - Will know, at the start of the game, if Pippin, Eowyn, and/or Theoden are in the game (but not player IDs).

Pippin - Will know, at the start of the game, if Merry, Gandalf, and/or Denethor are in the game (but not player IDs).

Denethor - Uses the Palantir each night (PM to the mod of course) to discover if a particular role exists in the game or not. However, the info thus gained has only a 75% chance of being correct - 25% of the visions will give an incorrect answer.

Evil Roles

The Witch King of Angmar - The leader of the host out of the Morgul Vale. The Witch King's job is to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Thus, the Witch King may send a message through the moderator, to be posted publicly, that states ONE player's name and that player's "side" (similar to Gandalf's message). Also, each night after the kill is declared, the Witch King may attempt to learn if a player is King Theoden.

Gothmog - Angmar's lieutenant, a horrid cross of man and orc. Gothmog may search each night for the Troll (see below). If Gothmog successfully recruits the troll, then the troll is activated and may use his powers. (Note that if Gothmog is included as a role, the troll will also be guaranteed to be included.)

Khamul - The second of the Nazgul. Once during the game, Khamul may PM the moderator as a night action and decide that no lynch will take place the following day. The players will not learn of this until the lynch time occurs.

Mumak Commander - The typical "brutal wolf" role - lynch him, he takes one person that voted for him down as he dies.

The Mouth of Sauron- Sauron's own lieutenant, this vile man will know, at the beginning of the game, if Gandalf, Aragorn, Denethor, and/or Theoden exist as roles in the game.

Troll (hidden role) - At the game start the Troll is secretly assigned to one player, but that player will not know he/she is the troll until Gothmog successfully "recruits" him or her. Once recruited, the troll may PM with the other villains. The troll also is extremely difficult to kill - if the troll is targetted for a lynch, the troll will survive that first lynch. (The troll may be lynched again on a subsequent night, and this will finally kill the troll.)

Day-Time: Each day, Gandalf and the Witch-King (if in the game) may PM the mod with a message that they wish to have posted publicly by me. This message may contain as much or as little information as those players wish, and the information does not have to be true. The message may reference any player or players, including the deceased. I will wait until both messages are received, or until 11 AM BGG time (prior to the day's lynch), before posting either message. The messages, if more than one is received, will be posted in random order.

During the day, Khamul may, any time prior to the lynch deadline, PM the mod with his/her once-per-game ability to stop the lynch entirely. If this is done, the players will be notified publicly that Khamul has prevented the lynch (although the player's ID is not revealed).

During the day, Theoden may, any time prior to the lynch deadline, announce his role and announce whom he is protecting from the kill that night. If this is done, players will learn, after that night passes, if in fact Theoden protected any players.

Night Actions: Each night the villains PM the mod with their kill target. Any player who has a search ability (Aragorn, Gothmog), will PM the search target during the night (Gothmog, if in the game, submits search order after kill order). Gandalf PMs the mod with his vision target (and only learns whether the player is Good or Evil). Denethor PMs the mod with his role question. Night ends when all necessary players have submitted their orders, or at around 5 PM BGG time.

Night 0: For night 0 only, Aragorn, Gothmog, Gandalf, and Denethor all receive random search results. Thereafter, on Night 1 and subsequent nights, these players choose their targets.

PM Privileges: All villains have PM privileges with each other and may PM any time. Legolas and Gimli (if both are present) are the only good roles with PM privileges. Although they both will know Aragorn's ID, if Aragorn is present, they may not PM Aragorn nor may Aragorn PM those players, even if Aragorn learns their identities during the game.

Lynch: Lynch at 1 PM BGG time, first lynch is Thursday, September 15th. In case of ties, all players who have voted for the two (or more) top vote-receivers will have their votes frozen and recorded, all other players who voted for someone else must recast their votes for one of the top lynch candidates - no exceptions. In case of ties, the lynch time will be pushed back 1 hour to allow all such players to recast their votes; if a player does not or is unwilling to recast his/her vote, the moderator will randomly re-assign that player's vote.

Provisional Voting: Provisional votes are permitted. If you wish to cast a provisional vote, you may do so publicly or by PM to the moderator, but in all cases, if your vote is cast or changed because the provisional conditions are met, that will be made public in the forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Re: Werewolf: The Lord of the Rings Part IV - The War of the Ring SIGN UP HERE
still in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume if we already signed up for all 5 games, we don't really need to say that we are in...

but just incase...

I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Miles
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still in, nice role distribution for this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - with the slower game, I should be able to do this while at work, but my evening and weekend postings will be very low. So I'm in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Likely this will start with 6 good specials and three bad guys. KOD and troll will be in the game if Aragorn/Gothmog are in.

I'm also thinking that those secret roles could be activated by some other event, other than simply being recruited... not sure how tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign me up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Burkhard
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kima- You rock!

I'm in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I figure I'm in for the long haul, so count me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too, please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
Likely this will start with 6 good specials and three bad guys. KOD and troll will be in the game if Aragorn/Gothmog are in.

I'm also thinking that those secret roles could be activated by some other event, other than simply being recruited... not sure how tho.
Perhaps by fulfilling voting objectives evil could activate the Troll, e.g. placing a vote on a fellow evil for three days straight, at least one evil not voting for three days(with this many people that is not a dead giveaway as it doesn't have to be the same evil each time) or something along those lines.

For good, the King of the Dead could also be summoned by someone carrying Anduril. Perhaps when Aragorn dies he could choose to pass his sword on to one player, and that player then carries on the search for the King of the Dead. However evil can use a night kill to target "The Bearer of Anduril," and if there is one then that player is slain. If not then that kill is wasted and nothing happens. Perhaps you should beef up the King of the Dead's role though to make it more beneficial for recruiting him.

Those are just some quick ideas I had, hope if nothing else it will stimulate your creative juices (which are very active apparently, nice work!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Goodall
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
of course, i'm always in when it comes to lord of the rings... even if it means being too hasty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rukasu wrote:
kimapesan wrote:

Perhaps by fulfilling voting objectives evil could activate the Troll, e.g. placing a vote on a fellow evil for three days straight, at least one evil not voting for three days(with this many people that is not a dead giveaway as it doesn't have to be the same evil each time) or something along those lines.

For good, the King of the Dead could also be summoned by someone carrying Anduril. Perhaps when Aragorn dies he could choose to pass his sword on to one player, and that player then carries on the search for the King of the Dead. However evil can use a night kill to target "The Bearer of Anduril," and if there is one then that player is slain. If not then that kill is wasted and nothing happens. Perhaps you should beef up the King of the Dead's role though to make it more beneficial for recruiting him.

Those are just some quick ideas I had, hope if nothing else it will stimulate your creative juices (which are very active apparently, nice work!).
Rukasu - I changed the rules of the King of the Dead. I had been thinking about making him unkillable - but, the downside to that would be that he also no longer counts as a "villager" for the purposes of determining a victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just need seven more... nine if there's interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An open-eyed man falling into the well
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to join in. I'm somewhat new (my only online WW game so far has been jaredh's "Cubicle of DOOOOOM", which I managed to (barely) win) but I have been following a few games (including LOTR 2 & 3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, new blood! Uh, wait... maybe that's not the best term of all to use here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay... where are all my other players... hellooooooooooooo...............

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign me up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yikes, I forgot you said "no more automatic enrollees." Sign me up, please. I promise, no singing.

Well, maybe a couple of verses of "Where there's a whip, there is a way," but that's it, I swear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in again.

T.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re: Werewolf: The Lord of the Rings Part IV - The War of the Ring *SIGN UP HERE - NEED 2 MORE*
Sign me up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |