Robert Thurman
Australia
Lakes Entrance
Victoria
flag msg tools
Hi I'm planning to design a game similar style and components to Yomi

Only trouble is i was planning to do this through TheGameCrafter
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/

and after having ordered their custom cards for a test I found them to be quite weak, also the game mat that TheGameCrafter use's is apparently a larger version of a typical game card(from what I've heard) whereas Yomi's game mat is rubber and flexible, I want a mat that I can sit my cards on and other trinkets like in yomi, and the mat won't move accidently.

I was wondering if anyone here has had any success making games with TheGameCrafter, if their games have reached the sort of quality Yomi is, in terms of quality of components.

Also do you know of any other companys or easy ways to make Games like The Game Crafter?

Thanks for all your help,
Really Appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I've had great success with the Game Crafter. I always thought their card printing was great actually. What exactly did you mean by "weak?" They print on card-stock that is as good as anywhere you're going to get cards printed. If you thought they didn't look up to par graphically, it's worth noting that their printers skew dark somewhat, so lightening your graphics slightly can make a big difference in final appearance.

That being said, you aren't going to get Yomi cards. Those things are like the Cadillac of printed cards. But TGC cards are equal in quality to most collectible cards.

You are right about the boards though, they are just printed on card stock. I've made a few games with mats from TGC, and frankly, who cares if it isn't rubbery and flexible? Unless I plan on playing the game on a curved surface, the mat will always be flat. Are you worried about storage of the mats?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Artscow is looking for game designers

And I've seen plenty of people use custom designed playing cards to produce card games; and a few who use custom designed mats as game boards. (There's probably a variety of mats to choose from ... floor mats, table placemats, mouse pads ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't going to get Yomi cards from any of the POD places. IIRC the stock they print on is very high quality and the PODs don't print on that. that said I've found Artscow and Printerstudio to have very nice cards (printerstudio nicer of the 2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm basically reiterating what was said already, but yeah - you're not going to get mass-produced game quality from any POD printer. Many of these guys are very good at what they do, but the kind of quality you're looking for would be for games produced in 10's of thousands of units, not print on demand one-offs or dozens.

If you're looking to do something for personal use, then you may be able to handcraft some pretty slick-looking stuff with off-the-shelf supplies from craft or office supply stores. There's many do-it-yourself Print 'N Play (PNP) guys here on the forum, they're all great, and I'm sure there's many that could give you some suggestions to help you out.

But if you're looking to self-publish a game with super high-test parts, like you'd seein Yomi or maybe some Fantasy Flight game, that's not going to happen with POD... at least in the forseeable future. In another 5 or 10 years the technology and supply levels might be able to accomodate that.

In the meantime - consider adjusting your expectations or changing your design so it's less dependent on expensive parts. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a well-designed game that doesn't have stupendous diamond-studded parts, and everyone here knows the difference between "poorly made" and "made to full extent of available supply."

Shiny bells and whistles do not a great game make. The hottest gal at the dance isn't always the one worth dancing with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperiorPOD will get you the highest quality cards out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Thurman
Australia
Lakes Entrance
Victoria
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the info,
I just wanted to say, I was not complaining or trying to down the GameCrafter, I think their one in a million, I just ordered some clear cards, and was wondering why they were so bendable, but comparing them to the pokemon cards, their actually not too different, so my mistake.

I was worried that the game mat might shift if it was getting used like the Yomi game mats, as the Yomi rubber game mats have slight grip allowing them to stick to the table better, whereas I imaginge the gamemats from GameCrafter being larger versions of cards would shift all over the place if you were to start placing cards and other items on them.

All in all though TheGameCrafter is a fantastic place to make a game, I was just interested to see if their was any other places similar that do rubber mats.

Thanks again for your comments, really appreciate it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iamwilly wrote:
I was just interested to see if their was any other places similar that do rubber mats.

Then you are looking for Doormats or Plate Mats from Artscow
http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/cat0510

The plate mat is pretty much exactly like the card mats that they make for Magic. Neoprene rubber back with a polyester top. Unfortunately they are only 18x12 which is big enough but not as big as your typical card mat. The small doormat is about a perfect size but the fabric top isn't great for sleeved cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Nettleton
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For your game mats, you might try custom mouse pads, like you can get from ArtsCow. I've occasionally seen kits in craft stores for you to print your own mouse pads, presumably using some sort of iron on transfer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cassar
United States
Wyndmoor
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on the custom mouse pads. They're pretty affordable and don't slide around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.