Subject: Just say Yes: Painted Wooden Cubes Reviews Ys rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Taylor
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

http://paintedwoodencubes.com/2012/03/09/just_say_yes_a_revi...

I like blind bidding as a device in board and card games.

It's often capable of producing heart-in-mouth moments. The second or so before bids are revealed can be splendidly tense - whether you're worried that an optimistic low-ball bid will have back-fired, or if you're scared that you've blown too much on something nobody else values.

This stands in contrast to the way in which open auctions often come off, in my view, as scripted and stilted. Unless there's a mechanism to prevent it, players will very often up the previous bid by the smallest increment available. Once-around systems, where each player only has a single bid can cure this, but in doing so introduce a new problem to be solved: the advantage given to the last player in the turn order. If there aren't enough separate lots auctioned in a game for this advantage to average itself out, neither version is wholly desirable.

Still, I guess there's something in being able to use a big bid as a statement of intent. There's a thrill to an emphatic, public all-or-nothing moment.

Enter Ys. Not only does it mix blind and open bidding, but it also gives its players a high degree of control over which method to apply where.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.