Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just getting my head round C&CA, and loving it so far.
I didn't know whether to post this in rules or strategy; guess it depends if I've been playing it right . . .

So I was the Romans, and brought three units to bear on one of the Cartheginians (can't remember what type of unit); I had two heavy infantry units and one light cavalry, all adjacent to his one unit. Figured I'd soften them up with the cavalry first, and then finish them off with the infantry. But with my cavalry roll, I rolled two flags, which sent them scurrying back a number of hexes, meaning I couldn't then attack with my heavies. It was most unsatisfying.

Were we playing correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
arnodestang wrote:
Just getting my head round C&CA, and loving it so far.
I didn't know whether to post this in rules or strategy; guess it depends if I've been playing it right . . .

So I was the Romans, and brought three units to bear on one of the Cartheginians (can't remember what type of unit); I had two heavy infantry units and one light cavalry, all adjacent to his one unit. Figured I'd soften them up with the cavalry first, and then finish them off with the infantry. But with my cavalry roll, I rolled two flags, which sent them scurrying back a number of hexes, meaning I couldn't then attack with my heavies. It was most unsatisfying.

Were we playing correctly?

Yes. If you have multiple units attacking one, best to surround him and cut off his retreat. Plan B is to make sure your units have a 2nd target in case this one retreats. Final thing to consider is unit order when Battling. If there is a chance that a retreat may occur, might be best to hit them with the heavies first so you get the most dice rolled. Softening them up with light cavalry can backfire, like you have seen. Would have been better to use them for ranged support in the event they did retreat, they may still be fired upon and cleaned up that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, although mark that you could normally follow up with your cavalry & attack them again.

Best would have been to attack with heavies to soften them, and finish off with the cavalry (who would then get to advance & attack another unit). As the Romans would have done .

Full frontal charges of cavalry are limited to Alexandrian & late medieval times I'm afraid ... rest of the time, cavalry is used *after* the infantry attack (yeah, yeah, with a lot of exceptions undoubtedly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's even more 'fun' when you take a ranged fire shot to 'soften them up' and roll one flag. Then no one gets to advance and bonus attack...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deciding the order of attacks is very important, in part due to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the swift and illuminating replies! All clear now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.