Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Moir
United States
Wilton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
Hi folks,

A couple of questions I had after playing this game for the first time (I'll pile on that the rules are a bit daunting for a first play):

1) On Plane Wreck, Statue and other such cards, there is a VP value on the card if incorporated, a VP value in its spoils and deal. As I read, say, Plane Wreck, you would get two VP immediately upon playing it, and then it would give you 1VP thereafter (as any other location), for a total of 3. Or, I could play it as spoils, get only two VP when I turn it in during production. Yet if I do it as a deal, I get one extra VP every turn, seemingly without the 3-slot rule (which is how WE played it, not knowing any better, he got 3 VP and we stopped). The only limit is how many deals you can get, which can always get extended. Isn't this unbalanced, to have deals that will push you up the charts even if you then do nothing else? Get a few of these and the game now has a time limit. You know when it must end, no matter what else happens.

2) If you already have 3 spoils/deals on your base when you want to play a deal that adds three more spoils/deals (as is on the Hideout card), do you have to discard one to play it, and thereafter you can place six (including itself) on your base? Or should I have had to discard one? Or am I misinterpeting this card entirely?

-Chris Moir

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
1) Yes, you can get 1VP/turn from Plane Wreck if you use it for Deals: But you're limited to 3 Deals/Spoils total, unless you get one of the two cards which expand that. If you incorporate it, you get 1VP for incorporating, 2VP for the location's ability, and potentially another VP when you redevelop it. Realistically, few games last more than 6 production phases (unless the players are missing some rules), so:

* 3VP now, with the ability to get another VP this turn, or on any future turn.

Versus:

* 1VP per turn after this turn (probably a maximum of 5 points total, if played on the first turn), and it ties up space in your Deals/Spoils slots.

Seems pretty balanced to me.

2) The way the rules are written (both in the original English rulebook and my updated version for the Toy Vault edition), the 3-slot limit is in effect until expanded. Meaning:

3-slot limit -> Hideout enters play as a Deal -> 6-slot limit.

By my understanding, it's basically along the lines of "A box may not contain itself." You have to be able to legally play Hideout as a Deal before obtaining Hideout's Deal.

All that said, Ignacy may well invalidate my interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Moir
United States
Wilton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for a quick reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.