Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
In Dune, the BG would place their free deployment in the same location as the deploying player's forces, yet in Rex the free deployment is always placed in the Galactic Council.

Why this change? Which would be considered "better"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a change - in the original Dune rules the troops were placed in the Polar Sink.
The optional powers for the BG faction "upgraded" this so that the troops are placed in the same location as the deploying player's forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
My mistake! I thought those were the basic rules.

Still - were the advanced rules considered better, and for what reason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

It's the optional rules, not advanced rules.. different things. Confusing, I know

As for better, I guess it's a matter of opinion. I liked the optional rules a lot better, but played with none of the advanced rules.
I do think the mix of rules they put in Rex seems pretty fun. Some things I will miss (Kwisatz Haderach), but overall it seems a great mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Regardless of whether they were better, they were not part of the original design by Olotka et al., being added by the Avalon Hill development team. This helps explain why Rex is closer to Dune's basic game without optional or advanced rules (given Olotka's direct involvement in the former).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The odd part though is that co-existence itself was optional and not part of the original design (unless some of the optional rules AH just removed from the base game?), so the Xxcha basically get half of the coexistence rules here. I had the impression in Dune that coexistence was invented to make sense out of the spiritual advisers (why, thematically, would they get dropped off at the sink?), but that was just my assumption.

I think going to the location made more sense in Dune and was more powerful in Dune, but I think it is more useful to go to the Council in Rex because with the ability to move two spaces, the center of the board is a much better place to be now. In Dune it was terrible unless you were Fremen or had ornithopters, or lucked out with spice blows nearby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.