4 Posts

The Succession Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Adapting Succession Wars to Diaspora's mass combat rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben McKee

Washington
msg tools
Apologies for the grammer, I am juggling a toddler.

I've been giving some thought to adapting Diasporas platoon combat to FASA's Sucession Wars or maybe Twilight Imperium. I haven't gotten past the early thoughts of map layout and unit types.

So far the map layout is roughly in (3) concentric rings, with Davien & Kurita getting about the same amount of real estate, and Steiner & Meric also getting about the same (less that the two larger houses) of territory, and Liao gets the privilege of being the Davian/Meric March. I figure that there will be 3 unit types; personalities, military units, and jump ships

Seams like both Davien and Kurita should have long borders. 4/3 Davien to Kurita (forcing Davien to work harder to defend its territory), and 3/2 Kurita to Stiener. Then you leave the border ration as equal for everyone else. Poor Liao gets the best ratio (making their defense easier to allocate), but like the saying goes... Poor Liao (Mexico), so close to Davien (The U.S.), and so far from God.

Aspects fundamental to Succession Wars appear to me to be; movement (both because jumpships are expensive & because you can't move units w/o them & are a strategic resource on their own), wealth (can the resources system be used here), factories, and tech (perhaps the least important piece). I can't see a use for barriers between zones, jumpships are the barrier, unless there' some way to blend those two ideas, which I think is a bad idea.

Tech might be approachable by the ability to place maneuvers. Something like a tech stat, which you roll against your opponent or the tech level of the unit you want to boost.

I am temped to use resources as they stand, but I am worried about the various Houses balance between number of zones, and amount of wealth making it to easy for Liao to defend itself, and for Davian to walk all over everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yves jp
France
Moca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting idea, would you mind following ? Don't forget conventional units, very important for Davion with RCTs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben McKee

Washington
msg tools
Not sure what you mean by "following" but I am happy to hear anyone's thoughts on this. I am glad you brought up conventional units. It has been so long since I played that I had forgotten about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yves jp
France
Moca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, I'm interested by your idea and follow the development of your adaptation. I posted a lot of pics about a redesigned game new counters, maps and some ideas about a new version, more strategic, more epic and maybe with scenarios covering the entire timeline. But, for the moment I'm alone. A polish geek made a Zuntzu version with my material (very good) another Vassal version but only with my map. So follow your idea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.