Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I suppose you could try it. However, in my mind the beauty of a GM'd game is the wonderful surprises. As both player and GM, you'll know exactly where the good loot is, where the traps are, what monsters are where... in other words your voyage of discovery would be lost.

However, there are a ton of solo-able dungeon games around. Why not try a game like Castle Ravenloft? D&D lite many would say, but you don't need a GM because you play against the system. It's also a coop game which lends itself to solo play.

The only downside is that the game doesn't provide long term character growth. Each game is a sort of one-off even though some attempt has been made to make campaign play work.

There are literally a TON of options out there that do not require a GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ward
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a really bad idea but your heart is in the right place (you should play if you have always wanted to).

If you have your heart set on Pathfinder, you could practice the rules for combat a few times with minis, tiles, and your dice. But seriously, roleplaying by yourself? Go find some local players and treat yourself to an amazing time (RPGs own BGs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a similar situation and it can be fun, but there are some more solo friendly options.

Running modules is a little difficult as there is hidden information and surprises, so you have to play the characters as if they didn't know and try to remain 'fair', or use dice rolls to decide for them.

Going more free-form makes solo a little easier, this can be as simple as finding some random tables to roll dungeons and events up, though I'd recommend looking into a product called the Mythic Games Master Emulator. It uses a question and dice roll system to create a game on the fly with no games master. I'm getting ready to try it with Pathfinder. You can get it cheap as a PDF.

There are also solo modules for some games. I'd recommend looking into the Tunnels & Trolls system as this has a ton of paragraph based solo modules and you can grab the books pretty cheap if you hunt around.

I can probably add some more but I'm just off out so I'll pop back when I have a moment.

EDIT: It's nothing like real roleplaying with a group which I have tried, and particularly with mythic is more like a creative writing exercise, but don't let it put you off. There is fun to be had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
muzmoz wrote:

Anyway, for some advice, I think I might be able put together some tiles from a couple of games I have, I've got dice, I would quite like some minatures to play with! Just an old bag of characters would do the job, some monsters etc.

Ebay. Ebay. Ebay. There's been many, many "come and gone" mini game and companies over the years - including some even making "official" D&D 9or AD&D) minis. Many of them are not considered "collectable" and thus very inexpensive to be had, despite their age.

Also -

Dollar (Pound? Euro?) stores. You'd be surprised what sort of stuff might turn up in the tooy sections there.

Amazon.

Local RPG stores - some sell used minis.

Also, consider unconventional sources for minis - I've often found incomplete games like Heroquest or other boardgames with similar pieces at garage sales. You might not be able to play the board game with them, but the minis are stillperfectly useable.

If you're playing a straight RPG, don't fall into the trap of needing "official" this or that. There's nothing on "official" minis that's relavant to playing an RPG. It's just a chracter stand-in. Get whatever you like that looks good to you and is inexpensive (or not, if you're willing to sling some cash).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to buy anything, especially if you're just gonna be trying it out alone.

http://www.d20srd.org/

(edit) ... oh, and in case you're into computer gaming: try looking for Neverwinter Nights. I think the Diamond Edition gives you a good bargain. I'm pretty sure I saw it on sale at Target or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
No need to buy anything, especially if you're just gonna be trying it out alone.

http://www.d20srd.org/

As he already has the Pathfinder Box, I'd suggest the Pathfinder SRD instead for more rules stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
muzmoz wrote:
So you can use this as a quick reference? Just checking it out now. Thank you

Yeah, the Pathfinder stuff is based on the D20 system, and therefore is open source - sort of like a Linix for tabletop RPGs. There's a lot of games out there derived from the D20 core mechanics, though they often can diverge heavily from each other.

Luckily for you, Pathfinder and D&D (third and 3.5 edition) are basically siblings... nearly identical twins, actually. One has a different hair cut and might be slightly more coherent when it talks, but otherwise it's hard to tell them apart other than their names.

You already bought some material. My suggestion would be to read the Pathfinder material you own (using the online reference doc to clarify anything major), grab yourself a cheap mini, and go find a group. That's all there is to it.

If you disclose up-front that you're a newbie looking for a game, anyone who reaches out to you will likely be more than happy to show you how the game is played. And that's the best way to learn any RPG, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeesh, 43 miles away, but the organizers might give you some suggestions for finding a local gaming group:
http://www.meetup.com/find/?keywords=roleplaying&mcId=&mcNam...=

Remember to get the free WG0: Horror at Dagger Rock (sp?) Pathfinder module!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be up for some sort of play by email if you get into it. Of course it'll be a bit like the blind leading the blind, but could be fun. I wouldn't mind messing with the DM side if things a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I'll have a look into it. I have the pathfinder beginner box but I've also got a few other things which might work too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muzmoz wrote:

I've also found something that has haunted me for years, 'The keep on the borderlands'. I think I saw it in a shop when I was small and dreamed of playing it.

I absolutely loved that module. It has become the basis of anything I ever imagine whenever I think of "out on the edge of nowhere".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.