Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I need to know if I'm doing this right. If I want to play with both river expansions, I have to do the following:

1. Remove 1 of the srpings out of the game
2. Remove 1 of the lakes out of the game (the simple lake or the volcano one)
3. The spring, fork, and volcano/lake tiles are put aside - is the other river end also put aside (the one with a part of a city) or does it also go to the bag to be drawn? I ask this because it can be drawn in the first place, ending 1 of the branches right away.
4. I place the first tile (spring) - can I place a meeple on it?
5. The fork is placed - can a meeple be placed?
6. Players start drawing the other tiles
7. The last tile is the volcano/lake, ending one of the branches.

The question I ask in 3. is my biggest concern. Do I take aside both river ends to place them at the end, or only the simple lake/volcano one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
AsGSnak wrote:
Hello. I need to know if I'm doing this right. If I want to play with both river expansions, I have to do the following:

1. Remove 1 of the srpings out of the game
2. Remove 1 of the lakes out of the game (the simple lake or the volcano one)
3. The spring, fork, and volcano/lake tiles are put aside - is the other river end also put aside (the one with a part of a city) or does it also go to the bag to be drawn? I ask this because it can be drawn in the first place, ending 1 of the branches right away.
4. I place the first tile (spring) - can I place a meeple on it?
5. The fork is placed - can a meeple be placed?
6. Players start drawing the other tiles
7. The last tile is the volcano/lake, ending one of the branches.

The question I ask in 3. is my biggest concern. Do I take aside both river ends to place them at the end, or only the simple lake/volcano one?

This is probably the most official way to combine. However, you don't play a meeple on the spring but can play it on the fork. And yes, the one branch can end early.

I think most people just make up their own rules on this. We start the one spring and then mix the other one in so we actually have 2 rivers, one with a fork. And we mix the lakes in letting 3 of the 3 "branches" end at any time. If the 3rd lake is drawn, we set that aside and redraw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually remove the duplicate spring tile. Then we put the lakes and volcano tiles in to the mix and play as normal.

The thought here is that in theory you want a longer river(s) to play off of, but you could certainly leave it to more chance and have the potential for a very short river section!

One "house" rule we have is that we take out the "extra" spring. We lay river tiles, allowing meeples to be placed if you want. We do not use the "ending" volcano/spring tiles until the tile with the river fork is played. We've played with letting someone redraw if they pull the end tiles and removed them until the end, and that the person that drew them would keep them and be able to play them when all river tiles were played as well.

If you have the "Princess and Dragon" expansion, you have to also decide whether the dragon comes out to be placed on the final volcano tile too!

So, probably the best news is to try some of your own approaches with suggestions here and determine what feels fair. But you can place meeples, or other items, on any tile you draw and place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We use the spring from the mini-expansion to cut down on mega-fields, we start with in already on the table, as one would the regular start tile.

Then we put the lake and spring from River I back in their box and put the spring from River 2 back in its box.

The fork and the two remaining lakes are then momentary set aside. While the remaining river tiles are mixed up and then stacked. The fork we then randomly slip into the stack between 1/3 and 1/2 of the way down from the top. One lakes is put on the bottom of the stack and the other lake is slipped into the stack anywhere between the fork and the first lake on the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Shoot
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Broox wrote:
We use the spring from the mini-expansion to cut down on mega-fields, we start with in already on the table, as one would the regular start tile.

Then we put the lake and spring from River I back in their box and put the spring from River 2 back in its box.

The fork and the two remaining lakes are then momentary set aside. While the remaining river tiles are mixed up and then stacked. The fork we then randomly slip into the stack between 1/3 and 1/2 of the way down from the top. One lakes is put on the bottom of the stack and the other lake is slipped into the stack anywhere between the fork and the first lake on the bottom.

I like this suggestion about the "stack" (we usually use a bag, which doesn't work as well in this case) and I'll definitely try this with the one lake coming after the "fork". Simple solution to what can be a "messy" start sometimes.

But also, I like Brian's idea of having a second spring... Combining both of your ideas, it seems all you'd need to do is
1) Put the second spring in the first half of the stack... say about 1/3 down.
2) Make sure the fork is next, in the middle somewhere...
3) Then just make sure the last tile in the stack is one of the lakes.

Let the rest (second lake, third lake) be mixed in at random...

Just one question for Brian.... Did you ever have "rivers collide"... or anything like that? Could get interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
house14 wrote:
Just one question for Brian.... Did you ever have "rivers collide"... or anything like that? Could get interesting...

You mean like bring two forks down to one so there is a huge island in the middle of the river? No, never happened because we keep the rivers apart from each other and follow the no u-turn so they don't get close.

But that would be awesome and I am going to see if we can make that work next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.