Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting.

Link

Quote:
HILLSIDE, NJ – March 7th, 2012 NECA/WizKids, the leader in collectible gaming, is proud to announce the re-launch of the Pirates of the Spanish Main property. In 2004, Pirates of the Spanish Main defined constructible strategy games (CSG) by combining a rich back-story, constructible game pieces and elegant game play. Pirates of the Spanish Main™ Shuffling the Deck™ card game will honor that spirit of innovation by launching a new card game system that uses a simple and fun twist to the Pirates of the Spanish Main history.

The initial Pirates of the Spanish Main offering will be designed by Bryan Kinsella (Hunger Games, Star Trek Fleet Captains and the forthcoming Lord of the Rings Nazgul) and Phil Harding who was selected as part of the WizKids search for the next great designer.

“For me it was a great first project to kick off our search for the next great designer and developer. We had a game engine for a light fast and fun game based on the Pirates property and Phil really knocked it out of the park with his simple and elegant game play designs to make the concept come to life,” said Kinsella.

WizKids President Justin Ziran says “Pirates was a huge part of WizKids and created a new category (CSG) of gaming. We’re embracing the Pirates backstory and we hope it leads to bigger Pirates offerings in the future”. In addition to the first game, WizKids/NECA hopes to launch additional games in the Pirates of the Spanish Main universe, including an exploring adventure style game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
“Pirates was a huge part of WizKids and created a new category (CSG) of gaming. We’re embracing the Pirates backstory and we hope it leads to bigger Pirates offerings in the future”.

I am extremely skeptical about this based on the above comment from Mr. Ziran. Mage Knight was also a "huge part" of WizKids, and they completely destroyed the backstory of that game. Vlaada seems to be doing what he can to salvage it, but there's only so much you can salvage when the people who run WizKids these days are completely clueless as to what made the "backstory" what it was.

Granted, the Pirate's backstory wasn't nearly as deep as Mage Knight, but I doubt this Justin Ziran guy has any clue about what the game WAS about, and wouldn't be surprised if he just turns it into a generic Pirate theme just like he's trying to turn Mage Knight into a generic Fantasy theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirates of the Spanish Main is one of the most innovative games I'd ever played. I liked it, and still do.

I like Fleet Captains, designed by new Pirates co-designer Bryan Kinsella. I liked it so much I bought it on my phone while I was playing someone else's copy my first time through.

I love Archaeology and know Phil Harding will do a wonderful job too.

This is shaping up to be epic win from my perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed the original game and am definitely looking forward to learning more about this. Will they change any rules? Will it be the same "build your ships out of credit card-ish plastic cards?" They seem to have the right minds working on it but will it be different enough from the original to warrant making new purchases for those of us that still have our old collection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
I share Scott's skepticism, because this sounds a lot like the press release that announced the new Mage Knight game a while back. The name may be the same and they may even hang onto some of the backstory, but what they're describing is a very different game. It could very well be a really great game (which the new MK apparently is; I can't really say for sure because I haven't had the opportunity to play it), but there's almost no chance that the new card game will be compatible with the old constructible game.

LordHellfury wrote:
Its hard to pinpoint where they took a foul left turn (for me it was after crimson coast, for others it was davey Jones Curse, and yet for other it took until mysterious islands etc. to become disenfranchised) but wherever it happened, they need to knock it the hell off.
There wasn't really any one specific point where things got off track, but I think a big part of the problem was that they tried to do too much too fast.

If they'd spaced out the releases a bit more and put more time and effort into developing what was already in the game rather than constantly trying to add new bits it could have been a much more solid game overall.

Don't get me wrong; there was a lot of really great stuff coming into the game right up to the bitter end, but every new rule and ability that was added to the game had to fit on top of everything before it and there was so much that the only way to keep everything straight was with that massive 50+ page FAQ.

Quote:
I also hope Woelf becomes rules guru again. He and his preecessor (I cant recall his name right now) were valued members of the community at the Wizkids forums.
I appreciate the kind words, and Tony (Piranha) most likely would too if he was reading this.

If this new game was a continuation of the existing game or even a "reboot" (à la Mage Knight 2.0) I'd love to get on board and help it continue where it left off, but if it does end up being a completely new game (which seems almost certain at this point) I doubt I'll have much, if any, involvement with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks to be just a new pirate themed card game, but that's fine with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd imagine if this was compatable with the old game they would describe it as a CSG. But reading through the press release it only seems to be described as a card game. Any mention of CSG is talking about the old property.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
I'd imagine if this was compatable with the old game they would describe it as a CSG. But reading through the press release it only seems to be described as a card game. Any mention of CSG is talking about the old property.

Still, though, I'd bet the farm that it'll be good with Phil and Brian working on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved Pirates CSG until it became zombie-laser-sharksnip-demon-punk Pirates. They turned it over to someone(s) who knew absolutely nothing about sea lore.

It was one of the saddest gaming experiences ever, seeing that game go under like that.

Thanks for the press release, but I detected no styrene in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gull
United States
Nevada
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
I loved Pirates of the Spanish Main, in all its incarnations. I personally would rather wait for the Sails of Glory rules and adapt them to the hundreds of dollars worth of PoSM ships that I have already purchased. I, for one, will not be inclined to purchase a whole new product line that is not compatible with the original!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gull
United States
Nevada
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Did they ever resolve the law suite brought by Wizards of the Coast over the patent of the punch card playing piece?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
historicengraver wrote:
Did they ever resolve the law suite brought by Wizards of the Coast over the patent of the punch card playing piece?

This game does not involve punch card playing pieces, so it doesn't really matter at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gull
United States
Nevada
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Its is probably for the best then..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wiser
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really, REALLY enjoyed the whole "Pirates of the..." series and hope they can do this game right in that of a card form. I will give it a try when and if it is released as I for one hope they can catch the spirit that was "Pirates of the..." series (so many great characters and ships).

On that note, has anyone heard of a release date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Darksbane wrote:
Yeah, I thought a while back someone from WizKids described this new offering as "a boxed card game set in the PotSM universe." So I don't think any constructable ships will be returning at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.