United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While going over my rule book with a friend, we came across the discussion of wording the rules text in third person vs second person. I thought I would bring the discussion up here, to see what others feel.

I prefer to use third person when describing my rules in the rule book. ("he or she may draw a card")

However, for the pieces that a player will use during a game i prefer to use second person ("You may draw a card")

My friend would prefer that both rules and components were in second person.

What do you prefer to use in your rules and on your game components?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done it both ways; in the past, I've even used both 2nd and 3rd person within the same paragraph ... which can be rather awkward.

After thinking it over, my preference is to keep everything in third person. And as much as possible: to use nouns instead of pronouns.

Instead of "he or she may draw a card" ...
I'd use : "The player may draw a card"
or "The active player may draw a card"

If it's on a piece that the player uses during the game, then

instead of "You may draw a card"
it just becomes: "Draw a card"
or
instead of "You deal 2 damage to an opponent"
it just becomes: "Deal 2 damage to an opponent"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For rules text, I prefer 3rd person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should use second person, but he should use third.

That wasn't at all serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Either one works for me, as long as it's consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Consistency is key in writing, 2nd person is generally used for giving a reader instructions

http://classweb.gmu.edu/WAC/somguide/123person.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Finding the second person intensely annoying, I go for the third person passive voice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Finding the second person intensely annoying, I go for the third person passive voice.

It's hard enough to find a first person.

This discussion is probably going to get tense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I prefer to use "current player" and "opponent". It eliminates confusion depending on who is reading the card or who exactly "he" is referring to. Many times it is not clear, especially when the card is played on another player (opponent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For a rulebook useing 3rd person is usually best unless it is a single player game.

For cards that apply only to the player then 1st/2nd person works.

Or you can bypass it alltogether and not refer to the player at all. Can be done.

Depends totally on the game though. Solo vs Multi? Game effects personal, other, all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely 2nd person. Players want to know how to play. They want the rules to tell them do this then do that. “You do this, you do that” clear. “Current player does this then the current player does that” not always clear. This gets even worse with younger players who are use to being told what to do all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's second person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

After thinking it over, my preference is to keep everything in third person. And as much as possible: to use nouns instead of pronouns.

or

I should note that your cards are still second person -- you've just chosen to change from declarative voice to imperative voice.

If it were third person, it would be "Deals 3 damage to an opponent".

(You deal. He deals. She deals.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

or

I should note that your cards are still second person -- you've just chosen to change from declarative voice to imperative voice.

If it were third person, it would be "Deals 3 damage to an opponent".

(You deal. He deals. She deals.)

True! It is imperative.

But it would really look weird if the card read "Draws a card"

... hmmm... then again, there is no such thing as third-person imperative, is there?

(Side note ... what if it said "May draw a card" ... it's no longer a sentence, right?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I agree with clearclaw that it's best to use 3rd person passive voice. Since rules describe how the games state should be arranged — that is, how something is rather than who does it, many times the subject is an arbitrary place-holder.

Compare "He or she may draw a card" to the passive voice "A card may be drawn" and observe that the passive construction puts the emphasis on the part that matters most — the card — rather than the unwieldy place-holder pronoun. It is still possible to specify to whom an action pertains in passive voice using "by" and "to" as in "3 damage are dealt to target opponent."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
I usually find myself writing in or shifting to second person for two reasons:

1. Automatically gender-neutral.

2. Highly efficient by virtue of not having to be introduced or defined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Weldon
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Second person doesn't work for all games... in a game with sequential turns, it's fine, but describing e.g. an auction, or a game with simultaneous moves, or something, it can get awkward.

Usually, I tend to default to the third person in games for adults, since it allows for more precision, and employ the second person for games for a younger audience, as this makes it easier to make the rules sound more exciting.

Certainly, in-game text on cards and stuff should be in the imperative, which is implicitly second person. "Draw two cards," is better than either "You draw two cards" or "Player draws two cards."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Solis
United States
Durham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For instructions, I kind of go third-person, but my instructions are super brief. Really, they're more like headlines leading into examples.

For examples, I find second person more natural. When instructing the reader, I can say "you." When referring to another player, I can say "he." When referring to a third player, I can say "she."

In all cases, I find it more important to use plenty of images and diagrams to make subject absolutely clear. That's me speaking as an art director, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiraboshi wrote:
I agree with clearclaw that it's best to use 3rd person passive voice. Since rules describe how the games state should be arranged — that is, how something is rather than who does it, many times the subject is an arbitrary place-holder.

Compare "He or she may draw a card" to the passive voice "A card may be drawn" and observe that the passive construction puts the emphasis on the part that matters most — the card — rather than the unwieldy place-holder pronoun. It is still possible to specify to whom an action pertains in passive voice using "by" and "to" as in "3 damage are dealt to target opponent."

I disagree completely. Passive voice frequently obscures precisely who is taking the action. Rules do far more than describe a game state. In many cases they must indeed identify exactly which player takes an action. Passive voice merely adds unnecessary ambiguity.

Take ownership of your thoughts and actions. Use active voice. Don't hide behind passive voice. (I obviously think that imperatives are fine too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jblaske wrote:
[...]
I prefer to use third person when describing my rules in the rule book. ("he or she may draw a card")
[...]
My friend would prefer that both rules and components were in second person.

What do you prefer to use in your rules and on your game components?

Third person always, active voice when practical. Never assume that the human reading the rules is the one responsible for performing the action.

And since time travellers might wish to play the game in the past, present, and/or future, pay close attention to verb tenses.

"...willen haven been..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Weldon
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Passive voice is a good way to make your instructions sound like a scientific paper, i.e. utterly dry and technical.

Actually, thinking about what places I might conceivably use the passive voice, I realize that the Setup section of a game's rules is kind of special. There, it doesn't matter who is doing the setup, so you can use passive voice if you want... but I think there I tend to opt for the imperative, under the assumption that the person reading the rules is going to be the one doing the setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.