Popular Tags: [View All]
Dian
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this game for the first time today and had a lot of fun.
The only thing that we felt was hard is determining who in fact was the last person that grabbed a truck.
EVERYONE were really fast. I would say under 5 seconds.
Since everyone was concentrated on picking a truck, no one is really paying attention to who the last person is (because the differences between last and second to last could be less than a second).

How do YOU guys do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
dmk11 wrote:
EVERYONE were really fast. I would say under 5 seconds.

That is, compared to my table, rather slow. If there are still trucks within 2 to 3 seconds it is deemed exceptional.

Quote:
Since everyone was concentrated on picking a truck, no one is really paying attention to who the last person is (because the differences between last and second to last could be less than a second).

We use our ears and our sense of honour. Grabbing the trucks produces a lot of noise as hands are more or less slapped down onto the table. The player producing the last slap is obviously the last player—even if you're not paying attention to the others, you will register that there is no slap after you, and then you can announce that you were last player and draw a tile from the stack as penalty.

Pack & Stack is not meant to be a serious game (although it does tax your spatial intelligence in a serious way), so try to avoid complex schemes to determine who grabbed last. Be a little flexible, and all will be well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For us, if you can't tell who's last, then nobody is. They both get whatever truck they grabbed. I see the rule just as a way to keep someone from dragging their feet forever to maximize their choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

That's exactly what we do. If everyone has chosen and you're dithering, you're last. If suddenly everyone has a truck, then you have a truck. I can't see how the game would be improved with a high speed camera and an extra penalty for the people who struggle with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dian
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
For us, if you can't tell who's last, then nobody is. They both get whatever truck they grabbed. I see the rule just as a way to keep someone from dragging their feet forever to maximize their choice.

Thanks, I like this idea! We'll do this from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Jolie
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't played the game in a while so when I first read the post I wondered, "Yea, how did we know who was last?" So I watched the video and instantly remembered.

We each would turn over truck tiles in front of us but were only allowed to take a truck in front of someone else at the table and not allowed to take your own.

Reaching across the table wasn't easy so we all knew who was last every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Head
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play the "Tampa Variant" listed in the rules, where the last to choose can pick from the board or the draw pile... There seems to be enough of an advantage to being quick & getting your truck without penalizing those who aren't as fast. Of course, being relatively slow in choosing myself, I benefit from this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this game a couple weeks ago for the first time. Jolly good fun. Why not simply have everyone say "DONE" upon selection? The last voice heard is the last one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.