United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first thread on Vassal I stated my reason’s why I think it’s the best thing to happen to wargaming in years.
I will explain what it’s meant for me personally here.

I started wargaming in the mid ‘60s. I first found Avalon Hill wargames in a local toy store by the model ships and planes.
I mostly played them solo until the 70’s when I discovered S&T and got my younger brother to play them with me. I only ever played a wargame against anyone but my brother twice in my entire life (not counting Risk , Diplomacy, and Axis & Allies). Most of my wargaming remained solo.
In the early 90’s I pretty much stopped playing wargames all together.
One night in early January of 2008 I googled one of my old favorites (Fire in the East).
This led me to BGG. At the time I was barely computer literate. I learn quickly! I discovered a whole world of wargamers and many, many new wargames. I was totally infatuated. I soon heard about vassal. “You mean I can play my games against opponents on my computer?” My life of wargaming isolation was over!
I quickly began to find opponents . My first was in a playtesting situation with a developer of a game. He taught me how to play PBEM he was patient and nice. After about 3 files I had it down more or less. I played (and still do on occasion) solo games on vassal and began to find more opponents for PBEM on BGG and a bit later CSW.
After a short while I began to try playing live games to (without skype). This was fun to, even better than PBEM!
One day I got an email from a fellow who saw some of my posts on BGG. He suggested I buy a headset and try skype. After a couple of days I went down to Walmart and bought a Logitech headset for around $30. An hour later I was talking with my new friend (Bob). This was around 3 years ago. After this I started playing live games on vassal with skype regularly.
This has been a life changing experience for me. I have a whole new world of buddies and play most of the games I want to against real live opponents. This has been one of the most rewarding experiences for me in many years.
I have been transformed from an isolated, solo gamer with no one to even talk about games with into a member of a large community of gamers and new friends.
In my real life I have always been a very social out going person and wargaming was like a secret, solitary, and yes lonely hobby. That has all changed because of vassal.
I hope after reading this that you will have a better understanding of why I am such an advocate! Thanks for listening!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:

This has been a life changing experience for me. I have a whole new world of buddies and play most of the games I want to against real live opponents. This has been one of the most rewarding experiences for me in many years.
I have been transformed from an isolated, solo gamer with no one to even talk about games with into a member of a large community of gamers and new friends.
In my real life I have always been a very social out going person and wargaming was like a secret, solitary, and yes lonely hobby. That has all changed because of vassal.

Hear, hear. Eloquently put.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said Bill!

I haven't tried Vassal myself because I have 1 or 2 people to wargame with. Should that change, I'm sure Vassal will have a new user...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said Bill! I should get a headset so we can play too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bill

I already use Vassal with some frequency but without a mic. I should get one.

Congratulations for a great job that you and Bill made in the OCS tutorial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game ever of Vassal LIVE (not PBEM) last night, with Skype going at the same time.

Not a bad experience, its good that you can taunt your opponent... need a webcam also so you can make faces and moon your opponent as well for that real boardgaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Well said Bill! I should get a headset so we can play too.

That would be cool Roger!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful post.

I strongly feel this, since I moved to a new city and I have no one to play with. Long live Vassal.

edit: you wouldn't believe how many typos a small phrase can have...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal expanded my time on wargaming enormously. Although I am happy to find more opponents to play and more games to play over Vassal as a result, my wife ain't. So I have to balance back. cry On the other hand, Vassal is a great tool to always record and store the gameplay. That's way too wonderful!

Quote:
Just played my first game ever of Vassal LIVE (not PBEM) last night, with Skype going at the same time.

Eric, I can't believe this is the first game for you via Vassal live!laugh Now, you have the ability to taunt the best Paths of Glory player in the world, not the weak me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mosdal
United States
Hanover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no! Don't go blaming that Bob guy for unleashing you on the world Bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob Mosdal wrote:
Oh no! Don't go blaming that Bob guy for unleashing you on the world Bill.

This is about vassal but I should mention that I have also met a group of great guys that I can FtF game with every couple of months over in New Hampshire!

Bob Mosdal contacted me after seeing my posts on BGG for FtF gaming.
It was Bob Schindler that got me to buy the headset and start using skype along with vassal.
Lotta cool Bobs around this place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the supply problem is brutal to the Russian in the east. I have yet to see the power of the card combos for the Allied though, mainly I am busy to bring on the reinforcements of the Russian. I am beginning to see why the game attracts so many followers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay white
Canada
Bowen Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm totally with you, Bill. I wouldn't be wargaming if it wasn't for VASSAL.

I played Squad Leader by myself as a kid, couldn't find anyone to play it with, then put it away for years. Every once in a while I'd pull it out and solo a scenario or two and wish I could find someone to play it against.

About 15 years ago I discovered VASL somehow and my world opened up! Squad Leader opponents from around the world! Soon I was playing in online tournaments, debating strategies, and playtesting new scenarios.

Then I bought my first wargame in 15 years - Advanced Squad Leader. I played that online for years. Now I probably spend 1-2 hours a day playing pbem. I've played probably 100 different games, met many fantastic people, some of whom have become actual friends that I've met in person and talk to about non-wargame things.

It really is fantastic. Great thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
I think Vassal is fantastic (as are the other online game engines, such as Wargameroom and ZunTzu) and this is from someone who is in the very fortunate position of having a wife and around ten or twelve friends with whom I can play face-to-face.

I primarily use Vassal to wargame with friends in the UK who live too far away to meet up with regularly.

The other advantage of Vassal, as has already been pointed out, is that games don't take up any space in the house, don't have to be moved around when table space needs to be freed up, and don't get accidentally knocked. Having said that, I use Vassal so that I can have games running in addition to those set up in the house! (Currently four.)

It's great that Vassal is literally transforming wargaming.

Enjoy!

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schindler
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yankeezulu wrote:
I think Vassal is fantastic (as are the other online game engines, such as Wargameroom and ZunTzu) and this is from someone who is in the very fortunate position of having a wife and around ten or twelve friends with whom I can play face-to-face.

I primarily use Vassal to wargame with friends in the UK who live too far away to meet up with regularly.

The other advantage of Vassal, as has already been pointed out, is that games don't take up any space in the house, don't have to be moved around when table space needs to be freed up, and don't get accidentally knocked. Having said that, I use Vassal so that I can have games running in addition to those set up in the house! (Currently four.)

Enjoy!

Matt

If only more companies would make their games available!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lamb
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree completely with Bill. VASSAL has enabled me to get much further into the world of boardgaming and has led to a very gratifying friendship with my regular playing partner, who I actually dislike at the moment because he completely splintered my frontline last night in Afrika II. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
rschindl@swbell.net wrote:
yankeezulu wrote:

Enjoy!

Matt

If only more companies would make their games available!!

True! I don't believe that there is any good reason why games companies shouldn't make their games available on Vassal. Ultimately, if Bill's and other peoples' experience is anything to go by, the availability of Vassal modules for games actually increases sales and visibility of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
yankeezulu wrote:
the availability of Vassal modules for games actually increases sales and visibility of games.

Absolutely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
yankeezulu wrote:
the availability of Vassal modules for games actually increases sales and visibility of games.

Absolutely!

I also agree and add that myself before buying a game I go to vassal modules and see if it is in there or the game company pretend to create one. And I do think I am not only speaking for myself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
Testify, brother!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
billyboy wrote:
In my first thread on Vassal I stated my reason’s why I think it’s the best thing to happen to wargaming in years.
I will explain what it’s meant for me personally here.

I started wargaming in the mid ‘60s. I first found Avalon Hill wargames in a local toy store by the model ships and planes.
I mostly played them solo until the 70’s when I discovered S&T and got my younger brother to play them with me. I only ever played a wargame against anyone but my brother twice in my entire life (not counting Risk , Diplomacy, and Axis & Allies). Most of my wargaming remained solo.
In the early 90’s I pretty much stopped playing wargames all together.
One night in early January of 2008 I googled one of my old favorites (Fire in the East).
This led me to BGG. At the time I was barely computer literate. I learn quickly! I discovered a whole world of wargamers and many, many new wargames. I was totally infatuated. I soon heard about vassal. “You mean I can play my games against opponents on my computer?” My life of wargaming isolation was over!
I quickly began to find opponents . My first was in a playtesting situation with a developer of a game. He taught me how to play PBEM he was patient and nice. After about 3 files I had it down more or less. I played (and still do on occasion) solo games on vassal and began to find more opponents for PBEM on BGG and a bit later CSW.
After a short while I began to try playing live games to (without skype). This was fun to, even better than PBEM!
One day I got an email from a fellow who saw some of my posts on BGG. He suggested I buy a headset and try skype. After a couple of days I went down to Walmart and bought a Logitech headset for around $30. An hour later I was talking with my new friend (Bob). This was around 3 years ago. After this I started playing live games on vassal with skype regularly.
I hope after reading this that you will have a better understanding of why I am such an advocate! Thanks for listening!

Hi My name is Billy and I am addicted to VASSAL, I am thankful for Vassal Players Anonymous!!
Great post. Technology has changed how we interact with games. I am so pleased to have found BGG, VASSAL, PDFs of rules, AARs to learn off of, and pictures of peoples in game play. How cool!!
It really is the Golden Age of Gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just saying this to someone the other day..a Golden Age indeed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Atraxrobustus wrote:
I was just saying this to someone the other day..a Golden Age indeed

Yes you were. I was given you credit. you are right again!
How are you you retired guy u.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jetlagged..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.