Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
I was taught this game a week ago, loved it, and picked it up. After reading through the rulebook myself, a question came to mind.

When I was shown the game, I was told that the Research card used to purchase a New Chemicals factory did not count toward the total number of credits required. Poking through the rules, that interpretation does not match my reading.

Can anyone clarify? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It absolutely does count. Cards spent always count as credits towards whatever is purchased. The only requirement is that at least one card per new chemicals factory must be yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
It absolutely does count. Cards spent always count as credits towards whatever is purchased. The only requirement is that at least one card per new chemicals factory must be yellow.

Thanks! The cost seemed to be crazy if it didn't. But, coming from Scepter of Zavandor, a lot of things in Outpost looked crazy. Hard to draw the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
JonPrud wrote:
dkeisen wrote:

Yes, Dave is right.

JonPrud wrote:
Thanks! The cost seemed to be crazy if it didn't. But, coming from Scepter of Zavandor, a lot of things in Outpost looked crazy.

What else looked crazy, Jon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
JonPrud wrote:
But, coming from Scepter of Zavandor, a lot of things in Outpost looked crazy.

What else looked crazy, Jon?

Cards that don't count towards hand limit was the first thing that made me think I was no longer in Kansas.

After another play or two I plan on writing a review of my impressions of coming to Outpost after playing SoZ for years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
JonPrud wrote:
Cards that don't count towards hand limit was the first thing that made me think I was no longer in Kansas.

That makes sense. I played Outpost long before I played The Scepter of Zavandor, so I came at the two games in the opposite order.

The way I think of it is that Research is non-physical, so it takes up no space, while Microbiotics takes up so little space that it doesn't count toward your hand limit. (It's a good way to remember it. Of course, now they have icons on the cards; in the old days we had to live in a shoebox in t' middle o' road ... er, what was I saying?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
The way I think of it is that Research is non-physical, so it takes up no space, while Microbiotics takes up so little space that it doesn't count toward your hand limit. (It's a good way to remember it. Of course, now they have icons on the cards; in the old days we had to live in a shoebox in t' middle o' road ... er, what was I saying?)

Oh, I get the thematic application. My first thought when looking at this was to get a pile of those and crush everyone. Which I did.

To be fair, only 1 person had played Outpost, and 2 others had played SoZ, compared to 20+ plays of SoZ for me (in a 7 player game).

I look forward to how the game unfolds after more of us have more experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Of course, now they have icons on the cards; in the old days we had to live in a shoebox in t' middle o' road ... er, what was I saying?)

In your day, you played Outpost with nothing but Ore cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe J. Rushanan
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Board Gamers Never Are
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:
Of course, now they have icons on the cards; in the old days we had to live in a shoebox in t' middle o' road ... er, what was I saying?)

I almost always feel I am playing with nothing but ore cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

Dirt. They are Dirt.

And in my day we held our breath and jumped to the supply ship without spacesuits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.