Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most similar game I've probably played is Munchkin, and I have to admit, I quite enjoyed it. It wasn't as brainless as I thought as there was definitely some strategy in keeping certain cards in hand, helping the right people, and denying help/treasure to other people.

Epic Spell Wars looks like a very interesting game in the same mold. But there seems to be little reason to not play cards in hand, or save cards for later use. There also seems to be few/no "defensive" cards in the game so you really have no choice but to take whatever is thrown at you. The only strategy seems to be whether to play 3 or less cards. That doesn't seem much and seems to be even more simple than Munchkin.

I haven't seen all the cards yet so I could be wrong. And perhaps Munchkin will turn out to be as brainless as I thought. So take the above with a grain of salt.

Thoughts folks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyeyk2000 wrote:
The most similar game I've probably played is Munchkin, and I have to admit, I quite enjoyed it. It wasn't as brainless as I thought as there was definitely some strategy in keeping certain cards in hand, helping the right people, and denying help/treasure to other people.

Epic Spell Wars looks like a very interesting game in the same mold. But there seems to be little reason to not play cards in hand, or save cards for later use. There also seems to be few/no "defensive" cards in the game so you really have no choice but to take whatever is thrown at you. The only strategy seems to be whether to play 3 or less cards. That doesn't seem much and seems to be even more simple than Munchkin.

I haven't seen all the cards yet so I could be wrong. And perhaps Munchkin will turn out to be as brainless as I thought. So take the above with a grain of salt.

Thoughts folks?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/773497/the-counterspell-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Maxcy
United States
Lexington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple cards I can think of right off the bat require careful planning for full effect. Thai-Foon's deals 3 damage to each foe who already acted. Pair that with a low initiative delivery like Snakedance. Festering on the other hand needs a high initiative delivery as it causes the strongest foe who hasn't acted to lose the quality portion of their spell.

Timing is the biggest part of the strategy in my opinion. Another thing to consider though is whether to hit one guy hard, or spread the love. If one guy gets wiped out early on while the last few players take several rounds to kill each other off, he's gunna be a beast next game with all the Dead Wizard perks.

I personally love the game and feel it has a lot more meat to it than I expected given the ridiculously over-the-top theme. It's no Dominion or Race For the Galaxy, but it clearly doesn't try to be either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
Some tactical decision to be made: usually centering around the thoughts of inflicting max pain to as many ppl as pOssible. Honestly, if someone is trying hard to win this game, he is playing it wrong. Winning is the by product--sticking the mIddle finger to freinds and making them eat it is the actual wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.