Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I was shocked when I got the new edition of Nexus Ops. The cardboard on that box is thinner than any other game I own. The sides bend even when you're only taking the lid off. I don't know what other new FFG games have this level of quality, but it's definitely a step in the wrong direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed - just got the latest edition of Cosmic Encounter - and, although the box art is great the box does not feel strong nor does the lid fit well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
That's weird. I don't have any newer FFG releases, but the larger LCG expansions come in boxes that are practically bulletproof, and all those contain are cards. Smells like cost-cutting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I have new Cosmic Encounter, Wiz-War, and GoT 2nd Edition. The cardboard definitely isn't what it used to be (my B&N has about 12 Horus Heresys stacked on top of each other with no problem), but it's still more than adequate. Game of thrones right now is sitting under CE, CitoW, Mansions of Madness, and 2 Dixits and it hasn't warped at all. Wiz-War (which is definitely the thinnest) has BSG, BoW, and Civilization on top with no problems.

Costs are going up; these companies have to find a way to keep prices down with them. If going from ridiculously-thick cardboard to less-thick-but-still-functional cardboard allows them to do that, then I'm all for it.

And at least it's not Super Dungeon Explore ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hristo Filipov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was quite surprised by the low quality box of Dust Tactics Revised Core Set. The prices stay the same, but we keep getting less and less for our money angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G A
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rather pay a little more for a box that will stay in good shape for years to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
deathweasel wrote:
An erosion of standards is never good. Sort term gain... FFG have gone down in my estimations. They used to be top of my list of components now they have slid way down the list.

Their components inside are still top notch, and their boxes are fine. If they have to make the boxes feel less sturdy than a coffin box to keep costs in line, then so be it; they still do exactly what they're supposed to do. The cost of everything's going up - they can either find adequate solutions that cost less or charge us more. They're not eroding quality to cut corners and make a quick buck - they're doing it to keep rising costs in line.

And because of the way retail works, it won't just be the extra $1 for the box. As soon as you cross a certain pricing threshold, you're going to have to justify a $5 or $10 price increase, because you don't really see stuff retail off of the $5 or $10 lines. Stupid? Probably, but it's how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, The coffin boxes of FFG cost *eight bucks*. I don't know if this is the manufacturer cost or consumer cost, but that's *a lot* of money. So if you're paying *eighty bucks* for a copy of Descent, 10% of that money is for the BOX.

OTOH, If you look at the cereal aisle shelves, customers would prefer to pay more for cereal in a BOX than the less expensive bagged stuff.

Dunno. Maybe on KickStarter we should raise money for BOXES. bagbagbag

EDIT: One of the reasons why Avalon Hill was able to publish so many games was that they owned their own printing company. The more you know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Herbert
United States
Cedar Rapids
Ia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call it whining, but it is something to look at, after all in a free market system, this kind of back lash can present opportunity for growth. Say for example if FFG sees more people hitting up eBay for 1st edition descent, rather than buying the new edition of descent they will be forced to ask why. is it the lower quality of packaging and or components, or perhaps a change in the rules that make our customers more likely to shop resale for a previous version. Take a look how many Steve Jackson games now follow the FFG format (frag, munchkin quest etc.) where 7 years ago these games would have had cheaper components ala dork tower, or 1st Ed frag. Voicing these issues can be the first step in addressing them, and can eventually help such companies stay competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:
I have new Cosmic Encounter, Wiz-War, and GoT 2nd Edition. The cardboard definitely isn't what it used to be (my B&N has about 12 Horus Heresys stacked on top of each other with no problem), but it's still more than adequate. Game of thrones right now is sitting under CE, CitoW, Mansions of Madness, and 2 Dixits and it hasn't warped at all. Wiz-War (which is definitely the thinnest) has BSG, BoW, and Civilization on top with no problems.

Costs are going up; these companies have to find a way to keep prices down with them. If going from ridiculously-thick cardboard to less-thick-but-still-functional cardboard allows them to do that, then I'm all for it.

And at least it's not Super Dungeon Explore ;-)

Since Wiz-War is thinner and lighter, why are you storing it on the bottom?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.