Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb

"The records were not clear. Never were, when it came to Innsmouth. Heron Barts, the biographer, wrote a few lines about the Marsh. Has more written about my own family, and my ancestors had a shoe store that closed during the war, when I was still a little girl. The Marsh owns a city and not even have a full page. Joe is sure that they have something to do with what is happening in Arkham - he spoke of people with strange and furtive looks. He said that works in the River Docks, that usually speaks more than they should, are silent when the conversation follows the direction of Innsmouth, and that not even a full bottle of whisky is opening their mouths for more than drinking. So I could not find anything useful or the Historical Society nor in the Library. And now... I turn to it. That damn book. It is illogical, I know that a book so old, from across the ocean, shouldn't be able bring some light on what happens. Though, I feel that it knows. However, I also feel it can never brings forth any light wahtsoever - it carries only darkness. "

Extract from the journal of Sara Weinstein.

ARKHAM HORROR

Game: Arkham Horror , with the Innsmouth Horror expansion

Investigators: Wendy Adams, the urchin (Gabriel), Patrice Hathaway, the violinist (Gustavo), Joe Diamond, the private eye (Rafael) and Sara Weinstein, the historian (I)

Ancient One: Zhar

Result:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Victory by sealed gates (18 points)

Special Moments: The wonderful music of Patrice, who made all the secrets of Arkham more vivid to her. The uninterrupted runs by the city of Wendy. The navigation of Joe Diamond to clear the cult in the Devil's Reef.

Description: After the drawing of Zhar as the Ancient One we knew the way to go: was necessary to overcome it before Zhar awakens - the Twin Obscenity is too terrible to face in battle. And the fortune was on our side: in the starting equipment came two Elders Signs (it was so long that I did not even saw one, let alone two). To tell the truth only one of the Elder Signs were drawn - Wendy starts with one guaranteed.

In addition, Patrice and Joe begins with three clues each, and Sara with 4. But Patrice truly starts with 4 (a portal will usually open right away, giving her a clue because of her special ability). Thus, before the first dice rolled on the table, we had almost enough to seal 5 portals. The situation seemed to be on our side.

Zhar, however, had other plans: in third Mythos phase, a Rumor came out, which caused the disease to spread from Innsmouth (ongoing effect: after each Mythos phase was the first player had to pick a Innsmouth Look card to see if the investigator, for some hereditary line, is a descendant of Dagon and this knowledge would devour his/her sanity, making it a crazed servant of Dagon and the Great Old One). We were able to remove the Rumor, but only after que take cards least 6 times - was always a time of great tension.

A few rounds before the ending of the Rumor, three investigators (Patrice, Wendy and Sara) get out together from Other Worlds and sealed three portals, without using any of the Elder Signs. Resisting, the servants of Zhar were still crying out for their profane god, and the gates were still opening. Zhar came up to 8 in the Doom Track, before being reduced to 7 when we use Elder Sign.

When Joe entered the portal of the Devil's Reef and Patrice managed to pass unnoticed into the Marsh Refinery, where there was another portal, the end was near. And it came two rounds later - Zhar made it back to 8 on the Doom Track, due to a new portal, but the other ones crashed into the seals, making them harmless.

Patrice closed and sealed the sixth and final portal. Victory!

Since I'm having my ass kicked quite enough in the last 10 games of Arkham, I thought this match reasonably quiet. The selection of two of the best investigators (Joe and Patrice), with the addition of Wendy (with the Elder Sing and her ability to escape the monsters, which she used quite a lot throughout the game), allowed us to have a good range of skills and clues. The poor Sara suffered more, even being arrested in an obvious anti-semitic action of the police Arkham!

Zhar, without Elder Signs, would have reached 10 (of 11) on the Doom Track, but we found out that the last point it needed to awake would take some time to come. The best hope would he would have was to devoured one of the investigators (for which I apply a point on the Doom Track). But it was not to be; Zhar never had a chance.

The match lasted less than two hours.

And that was it!

Regards,

Ps: Sorry for the mistakes with the language. I do try my best, but usually is not enough. So a few edits my come to correct the ones I find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. Zhar is beyond my personal nemesis. I'm 4-31 against him.
It doesn't say, but I know you didn't forget to roll two dice every time a new gate opened in Arkham.

I've had bizarre luck against him. Three times an investigator has failed to seal the sixth gate, only to have him awaken during the next Mythos. I've rolled doubles and opened a second gate as many as three times in one game.

With a doom track of eleven, even doing so once has spelled defeat. That doesn't even include being driven insane or LinT&S at crucial times to rob me of seals, and Zhar has taken full advantage of any lapse every time.

Excellent picture, btw.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Nice report. Zhar is beyond my personal nemesis. I'm 4-31 against him.

That is... not great.

But at least you have won some. Eihort reigns undefeated over me for a long time now. There are others AO that I never defeated, but I like to think that this is because I didn't face it many times. But for Eihort I cannot say the same thing.

apatheticexecutioner wrote:

It doesn't say, but I know you didn't forget to roll two dice every time a new gate opened in Arkham.

Yes, we did. This scared the the s* of me. We are terrible dice rollers. But in the end only one double happened, and the new Mythos only bring forth a monster surge and two monsters in French Hill.

Thanks for the feedback! Good games to you!

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two pictures of the game:

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.