Recommend
28 
 Thumb up
 Hide
117 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: March 2012 European Maths Trade Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the discussion thread for the March 2012 European Maths Trade:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/138113/march-2012-euro...
4 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a geek list where people can post their wants? It does seem to stimulate trading! In case not, I'll mention here and now that I'd be very interested in a copy of Manila!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Woho, finally! Was starting to get worried there for a moment :D

arnodestang wrote:
Is there a geek list where people can post their wants? It does seem to stimulate trading! In case not, I'll mention here and now that I'd be very interested in a copy of Manila!


We've usually just used this thread for wants. Can't say I see any need for a dedicated thread/geeklist for it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
arnodestang wrote:
Is there a geek list where people can post their wants? It does seem to stimulate trading! In case not, I'll mention here and now that I'd be very interested in a copy of Manila!


Here's the thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/776707/march-2012-europe...

And I'll be putting up a copy of Manilla later as well. How's that for service?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first European Math Trade that I will miss in over a year because the local math trade that I am running has a deadline to submit want lists on March 19th.

Is there any regularity to when the European one is being scheduled? If I had known I would have set up ours to end 2-3 days earlier.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cggritt wrote:
arnodestang wrote:
Is there a geek list where people can post their wants? It does seem to stimulate trading! In case not, I'll mention here and now that I'd be very interested in a copy of Manila!


Here's the thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/776707/march-2012-europe...

And I'll be putting up a copy of Manilla later as well. How's that for service?


Awesome, thankyou!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:
This is the first European Math Trade that I will miss in over a year because the local math trade that I am running has a deadline to submit want lists on March 19th.

Is there any regularity to when the European one is being scheduled? If I had known I would have set up ours to end 2-3 days earlier.


It runs every other month, but doesn't start on any specific date. "All" other country specific ones (UK, German, Polish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, etc) run in the months when there's not a European one, so there's never a conflict. So unless you run one every month I'd suggest you just line it up with the rest of them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Stein
Germany
76133 Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the aim of a math trade is to get as many trades as possible, it wouldn't be a moral issue to only offer different amounts of money and not adding any game to the trade pool, would it? (Mostly due to the reason of a lack of time; however I'll try to find out more about the "add items from a closed trade" option and hopefully use it in this recent math trade.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Usher
Wales
Conwy
Conwy
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about participating in this as my first math trade. A few things I need to clarify first:

If I put up some offers and by the end of the submission process, there is nothing I want in trade, am I obligated to make any trades?

What do you all (UK) use for shipping? I'm looking at Parcel2Go and seeing about £20 for a typical game shipped to most places in Europe, is this typical?

If I absorb shipping costs, should I be requesting trades that I would consider equal value to the game + my shipping costs? How do I know how much the shipping will be if it could vary from £5 to £20?

As a quick side question; as much as I appreciate all the effort that's gone in to tools like OLWLG, they're a bit of a usability mess. Are there any ongoing community/open source efforts to build a new improved set of tools for this purpose?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not participated in a Math Trade before - would there be any interest in a pot of GG - say 500 or so?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tomusher wrote:
Thinking about participating in this as my first math trade. A few things I need to clarify first:

If I put up some offers and by the end of the submission process, there is nothing I want in trade, am I obligated to make any trades?

What do you all (UK) use for shipping? I'm looking at Parcel2Go and seeing about £20 for a typical game shipped to most places in Europe, is this typical?

If I absorb shipping costs, should I be requesting trades that I would consider equal value to the game + my shipping costs? How do I know how much the shipping will be if it could vary from £5 to £20?

As a quick side question; as much as I appreciate all the effort that's gone in to tools like OLWLG, they're a bit of a usability mess. Are there any ongoing community/open source efforts to build a new improved set of tools for this purpose?


If I put up some offers and by the end of the submission process, there is nothing I want in trade, am I obligated to make any trades?

No. Your items can only trade for things on your want lists. If there's nothing you want and don't submit a want list your item cannot trade.

What do you all (UK) use for shipping? I'm looking at Parcel2Go and seeing about £20 for a typical game shipped to most places in Europe, is this typical?

Post Office. Under 2kg should be under £10. I don't put things up for trade that would be over 2kg (including packaging) as the costs suddenly jump.

If I absorb shipping costs, should I be requesting trades that I would consider equal value to the game + my shipping costs? How do I know how much the shipping will be if it could vary from £5 to £20?

I don't tend to choose items where I have to absorb shipping costs. I also don't worry about the relative worth of games. All I consider is "would I be happy if I traded my game for this item"?

As a quick side question; as much as I appreciate all the effort that's gone in to tools like OLWLG, they're a bit of a usability mess. Are there any ongoing community/open source efforts to build a new improved set of tools for this purpose?


No idea, but the OLWLG is a massive improvement over what we had before!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenkachu wrote:
I've not participated in a Math Trade before - would there be any interest in a pot of GG - say 500 or so?


We do see offers like this in the trade. No idea if anyone wants them though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:
This is the first European Math Trade that I will miss in over a year because the local math trade that I am running has a deadline to submit want lists on March 19th.

Is there any regularity to when the European one is being scheduled? If I had known I would have set up ours to end 2-3 days earlier.


The European trade starts on the first weekend of every other month. We're a week late this time due to time issues on my part.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cggritt wrote:
tomusher wrote:

What do you all (UK) use for shipping? I'm looking at Parcel2Go and seeing about £20 for a typical game shipped to most places in Europe, is this typical?

Post Office. Under 2kg should be under £10. I don't put things up for trade that would be over 2kg (including packaging) as the costs suddenly jump.

You can go over 2kg without the insane price jump if you tell them that the package contains "papers" or "books". If you do that, the prices scale more nicely:

0.5kg - £3.71
1.0kg - £6.46
1.5kg - £9.21
2.0kg - £11.96
2.5kg - £14.71
3.0kg - £17.46

cggritt wrote:
Jenkachu wrote:
I've not participated in a Math Trade before - would there be any interest in a pot of GG - say 500 or so?


We do see offers like this in the trade. No idea if anyone wants them though.

GG can often trade for small promos and the like
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Usher
Wales
Conwy
Conwy
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
@cggritt: Thanks for the help! I've added some games to the list, excited to see how it turns out now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Venables
England
Horndean
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Sharks on 3!!
badge
1-2-3-SHARKS!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Hi all,

Complete 1st timer when it comes to MT-ing!!

Praying for no epic fails on my part

When does the want list open on the OLWLG?

John.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Methsdrinker wrote:

When does the want list open on the OLWLG?


Whenever Jeff gets around to adding it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daleks stole my lunch box
France
Morbihan
flag msg tools
designer
Press 'X' to feel emotions.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tomusher wrote:
As a quick side question; as much as I appreciate all the effort that's gone in to tools like OLWLG, they're a bit of a usability mess. Are there any ongoing community/open source efforts to build a new improved set of tools for this purpose?


I believe Jeff (the OLWLG maintainer) is open to suggestions and tinkers with it as time permits. The OLWLG discussion thread is there: (obsolete thread, please use guild, see base post) Math Trade Online Want List Generator (OLWLG) - Discussion, Problem Report, etc thread
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moeper wrote:
Because the aim of a math trade is to get as many trades as possible, it wouldn't be a moral issue to only offer different amounts of money and not adding any game to the trade pool, would it? (Mostly due to the reason of a lack of time; however I'll try to find out more about the "add items from a closed trade" option and hopefully use it in this recent math trade.)


Please do put money on the table. I am keen to reduce my collection and cash in return is more than welcome. The more the merrier in my opinion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Usher
Wales
Conwy
Conwy
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice a lot of money offers being added which is fine by me but again, I'm a bit confused how this works with shipping.

Say I've listed a small game and would be happy to accept £10 for it, what's to stop me being matched with someone that I need to spend £11 to ship to?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I factor in the approximate shipping costs into what I'm prepared to swap (especially for the money offers).

If you're shipping something heavy, you can include something to the effect of "Shipping free to Wales and the rest of the UK, I will pay first £5 to anywhere else" - though this may reduce interest in your item, at least amongst people overseas.

Another option would be just to put the item into a UK only trade!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
As Ed says you've got to take into postage costs into account -(I budget about £10 for postage) it means that even for small games I'll rarely put money offers on my want list unless they are £20/Euros or above.

tomusher wrote:
I notice a lot of money offers being added which is fine by me but again, I'm a bit confused how this works with shipping.

Say I've listed a small game and would be happy to accept £10 for it, what's to stop me being matched with someone that I need to spend £11 to ship to?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Odd how long it's taking Jeff to get this listed on the OLWLG...

NB: I'm just stating this publicly to invoke sod's law, which dictates he will list it roughly 30 seconds after my posting to make me look like a dunce
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tomusher wrote:
I notice a lot of money offers being added which is fine by me but again, I'm a bit confused how this works with shipping.

Say I've listed a small game and would be happy to accept £10 for it, what's to stop me being matched with someone that I need to spend £11 to ship to?



Well nothing but is there any difference between money offers and game offers in such a case? If you accept money worth £10 and spend £11 on shipping is this in some way different to accepting a game worth £10 and spending £11 on shipping?
I'm just curious why some people seem to treat money offers different from game offers.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Δημητρης Βασιαδης
Greece
Ζωγραφου, Αθηνα
Αττική
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tomusher wrote:
Say I've listed a small game and would be happy to accept £10 for it, what's to stop me being matched with someone that I need to spend £11 to ship to?
nothing! you should factor in the worst shipping scenario and not accept 10gbp for your game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.