Hide
14 Posts

BGG» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Office Chairs for Big and Tall People rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: furniture [+] [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Green Bay Packers fanMicrobadge: Milwaukee Brewers fanMicrobadge: Xbox 360 fanMicrobadge: Fallout fan - I bought a space in my local Vault. How about you?Microbadge: Copper Image Uploader
Okay, I am 6' 3", 230lbs and while I am certainly overweight a bit, I am not very large. Been working the same desk job for 10 years now and my office chair breaks every year to 2 years. Then my boss throws a fit and goes out and buys another $60 chair and the cycle repeats itself. Can anyone who weighs as much or more than me that has the same experience with broken chairs recommend a good chair that they have found that has stayed in one piece for 3+ years?

Oh and for the record, every chair that has broke has sheared off where the post meets the bottom of the chair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heron Abroad
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: I'm femaleMicrobadge: GardeningMicrobadge: SewingMicrobadge: INTP: Architect
Have you tried an Aeron? My husband, whose dimensions are similar, has had one for quite a few years, and used it on a daily basis for several of those years at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Peridot: August birthstoneMicrobadge: Green Christian - we're all the stewards of EarthMicrobadge: I love books!Microbadge: Easily MisunderstoodMicrobadge: Dog lover
Look at Steelcase chairs. They last forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
Microbadge: Flash Point: Fire Rescue - Extreme Danger fanMicrobadge: Save the Dog! (Flash Point: Fire Rescue)Microbadge: Flash Point: Fire Rescue fanMicrobadge: Flash Point: Fire Rescue fanMicrobadge: Flash Point: Fire Rescue fan
HeronAbroad wrote:
Have you tried an Aeron? My husband, whose dimensions are similar, has had one for quite a few years, and used it on a daily basis for several of those years at least.
As the husband-in-question, yeah -- I'm very close to your dimensions. Airplanes are horrible, amiright?

Anyways, yeah -- nearly 10 years ago I invested in a Herman Miller Aeron. Make SURE you get the Size C, which fits me very well. You might be able to get away with a B, but I only have extensive experience with the C.

There's a fair bit of sticker shock associated with their pricetag -- quite expensive. But considering what I've spent in computer and other equipment for my office in the last 10 years (and how long my chair has lasted compared to those tools), I must say that the Aeron has amazing staying power, and was an excellent purchase.

My $0.02, FWIW

Edit: Wow -- just realized that I probably got my chair in 2001, so this chair was purchased OVER 10 years ago, and has seen near-daily use since then, and is still 100% in working order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've been using the same Aeron since... certainly 2000, maybe 1996. The lumbar support bit tore off a while ago, but other than that it's great.

Before that I sat upon a throne made of short people. Comfortable, but a bit squeaky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Dark Ages buffMicrobadge: Outlander fanMicrobadge: Celtic music fanMicrobadge: Robbie Burns (Bard of Scotland) fanMicrobadge: Knitting enthusiast
HeronAbroad wrote:
Have you tried an Aeron?
+1. The things are awesome! The lumbar support was great! Very comfortable and sturdy. They're pricy, but the price has come down a lot in recent years. I couldn't afford to get one at my new employment, but I was able to get a knockoff (for half the price) that's almost as comfortable and is holding up fairly well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Memoir '44 fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Glen More fanMicrobadge: Silverton fanMicrobadge: New Jersey Devils fan
HanClinto wrote:

Anyways, yeah -- nearly 10 years ago I invested in a Herman Miller Aeron. Make SURE you get the Size C, which fits me very well. You might be able to get away with a B, but I only have extensive experience with the C.
And it has a 12 year warranty (possibly only valid if you buy from an authorized reseller).

For me it an Aeron was easily worth the money, because it very quickly relieved the back pain that my previous chair caused. It's expensive for a chair, but you spend 2000+ hours per year sitting in it. Totally worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
Microbadge: We're Not WorthyMicrobadge: SubgeniusMicrobadge: We're Not Worthy
But it sounds like your boss is a complete cheapskate.

$60 for a chair is about the cheapest POS you can buy. He shouldn't be surprised that they break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heron Abroad
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: I'm femaleMicrobadge: GardeningMicrobadge: SewingMicrobadge: INTP: Architect
HanClinto wrote:
I probably got my chair in 2001, so this chair was purchased OVER 10 years ago, and has seen near-daily use since then, and is still 100% in working order.[/i]
It's not that he's worked at the same place that whole time; he got the chair, and at each workplace has taken it in with him as his own property, and it just goes with him whenever he changes jobs. It has worked out very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Green Bay Packers fanMicrobadge: Milwaukee Brewers fanMicrobadge: Xbox 360 fanMicrobadge: Fallout fan - I bought a space in my local Vault. How about you?Microbadge: Copper Image Uploader
CrankyPants wrote:
But it sounds like your boss is a complete cheapskate.

$60 for a chair is about the cheapest POS you can buy. He shouldn't be surprised that they break.
Ya, don't even get me started, my boss is actually my best friend of 20 years on top of it. So we have had quite a few heated discussion over the cheap ass chairs he buys breaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
HanClinto wrote:
HeronAbroad wrote:
As the husband-in-question, yeah -- I'm very close to your dimensions. Airplanes are horrible, amiright?

There's a fair bit of sticker shock associated with their pricetag -- quite expensive. But considering what I've spent in computer and other equipment for my office in the last 10 years (and how long my chair has lasted compared to those tools), I must say that the Aeron has amazing staying power, and was an excellent purchase.

My $0.02, FWIW

Edit: Wow -- just realized that I probably got my chair in 2001, so this chair was purchased OVER 10 years ago, and has seen near-daily use since then, and is still 100% in working order.
Yep I have been looking at one, but the boss is not going to buy one for me at work so I am debating on whether or not I want to drop $800 on a chair for work. Especially since I have been using the same $200 chair at home for 10+ years.

So why don't I buy one those you say? Because I use my computer chair at home maybe 5 hours a week. My office chair gets used 10 hours a day 6 days a week and I am in and out of it 50 times a day. If I used that same chair at work, it would break too.

In the end I am probably going to buy one of these chairs for work, after all, it's only money right? Can't take it with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
Microbadge: Flash Point: Fire Rescue - Extreme Danger fanMicrobadge: Save the Dog! (Flash Point: Fire Rescue)Microbadge: Flash Point: Fire Rescue fanMicrobadge: Flash Point: Fire Rescue fanMicrobadge: Flash Point: Fire Rescue fan
mugs wrote:
HanClinto wrote:

And it has a 12 year warranty (possibly only valid if you buy from an authorized reseller).

For me it an Aeron was easily worth the money, because it very quickly relieved the back pain that my previous chair caused. It's expensive for a chair, but you spend 2000+ hours per year sitting in it. Totally worth it.
I actually bought mine used from a dot-com business that was going bust. Soit had already seen a fair bit of use before I got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
Microbadge: We're Not WorthyMicrobadge: SubgeniusMicrobadge: We're Not Worthy
Here's a thought: Get a standing desk. Supposed to be better for you anyway.

I've also thought about trying one of those big exercise balls too. They're supposed to improve your core strength since you have to stay balanced on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GameChat League - Amoeba Division: "Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!"Microbadge: I'm a Yokohama fan!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: La Granja fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with Spouse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls