Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Robb Stark House Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Jakes
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
His ability to pick where an opponent retreats has me slightly confused.

Can he select a retreat location that would cause his opponent to disband some or all of his troops because of supply limits? Or would that be an 'illegal' retreat location?

I think he should be able to cause the forced disbanding, but that's just my read of the card.

Thoughts?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, he cannot do this.

You can't choose any area which your opponent couldn't retreat to normally. This card doesn't change the retreat options, only who makes the decision.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording is pretty clear IMHO. It says "where it would cause the fewest casualties". So you have to pick a valid retreat location, among those with the fewest casualties caused.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kordić
Croatia
flag msg tools
The power of Rob Stark Card is indeed that you can force the troops to retreat to a LEGAL area of your choice. It takes a small bit of planning, but apart from Roose Bolton (and especially in conjunction with Roose Bolton) it's probably the most powerfull card in the game.

What it allows (in the best case scenario) is killing an enemy force of any size, with your force of any size, with any other houscard. If you can attack via the sea (and a well played Stark has a huge ammount of sea borders), you hit an enemy force with Rob first, make them retreat to another area you can attack, and then win the other battle with anything and kill whatever you routed the first time. Then use your third march to lose a battle with a footman somewhere and get all your cards back.

This is highly aplicable at Flints Finger and Greywater Watch areas, and anywhere along the eastern coast - Moat Cailin, Twins, Mountains of the Moon, the Fingers, Cracklaw Point and the Eyerie. It's also rather absurd once you get the hang of it. What it translates to is - as long as you have 2 marches and a small bit of naval support, any large army that ends its turn on your borders is cooked if you can beat it with Rob. With 3 you could theoretically do this every turn.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="blockiestcurve"]
**Spoiler Alert Perhaps For Next Three Lines**/q]

Spoiler (click to reveal)
BGG has spoiler tags. It's the "SP" you see on the toolbar. Quote this message to see them.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Robb's ability is also useful in defense as it actually allows the retreating troops to go somewhere else then where they came from.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Tilia

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Thanks for the tip kreikkaturkulainen. I've been following the Cruel Summer game. Nice Moderating. I would like to play or moderate once I get more experience with the interface of BGG.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wisner
United States
Plainville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
grimmymail wrote:
Robb's ability is also useful in defense as it actually allows the retreating troops to go somewhere else then where they came from.


That would not be a Legal retreat. I think Robb's ability has no effect when defending.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
masked_man wrote:
grimmymail wrote:
Robb's ability is also useful in defense as it actually allows the retreating troops to go somewhere else then where they came from.


That would not be a Legal retreat. I think Robb's ability has no effect when defending.

This is kind of an odd case. By the rules I would say you are right and that's how I always played the 1st edition card with the same ability. However, the 2nd edition FAQ specifically says that Rob's text is resolved when he wins as the defender.

Note, it doesn't actually say that you can choose a different area, just that it is resolved. But why bother to say that if it has no effect on the game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dypaca wrote:
masked_man wrote:
grimmymail wrote:
Robb's ability is also useful in defense as it actually allows the retreating troops to go somewhere else then where they came from.


That would not be a Legal retreat. I think Robb's ability has no effect when defending.

This is kind of an odd case. By the rules I would say you are right and that's how I always played the 1st edition card with the same ability. However, the 2nd edition FAQ specifically says that Rob's text is resolved when he wins as the defender.

Note, it doesn't actually say that you can choose a different area, just that it is resolved. But why bother to say that if it has no effect on the game?



Robb Stark card does work while defending and does overrule the usual retreat rules for the attacker in terms of going back to the original territory [at least from FFG email responses]: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/752416/official-responses-fr...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blockiestcurve wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Thanks for the tip kreikkaturkulainen. I've been following the Cruel Summer game. Nice Moderating. I would like to play or moderate once I get more experience with the interface of BGG.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
No problem. Any questions, just ask.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sabzevarian wrote:
Robb Stark card does work while defending and does overrule the usual retreat rules for the attacker in terms of going back to the original territory [at least from FFG email responses]: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/752416/official-responses-fr...

As the rules are written, all the other retreat restrictions technically only apply to retreating defenders. The rule about retreating to the starting area was the only restriction placed on retreating attackers, and apparently Rob allows us to ignore that rule.

I would guess that they then expect you to follow all the rules for retreating defenders.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.