Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Sz
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When spending culture points during your City management phase, one may spend some or all of their culture tokens to advance on the track.

Is is possible to advance multiple spaces in one turn? Does anytime during your turn mean that you may use it multiple times a turn.

Let's say I have no advancement on the culture track yet, I spend 9 tokens, do I draw 2 cards + 1 card and then discard one?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragan Lujic
Denmark
flag msg tools
Sioux wrote:
When spending culture points during your City management phase, one may spend some or all of their culture tokens to advance on the track.

Is is possible to advance multiple spaces in one turn? Does anytime during your turn mean that you may use it multiple times a turn.

Let's say I have no advancement on the culture track yet, I spend 9 tokens, do I draw 2 cards + 1 card and then discard one?

Thanks

The only limits in this regard are first of all your "Culture Hand Size", so if you are at a point in the game where you are able to buy 3 culture cards, but haven't upgraded your Culture Hand Size through techs (or G.P. cards in F&F), then your Hand Size limit is still 2, meaning you'd have to spend/use/trade one of the first two cards you bought in the same turn, if you wanted to buy a third one.

Other than that, there is of course the general "once per turn" limit of using tech abilities like Incense on Chivalry to get culture tokens.

So yes, it is possible to move several steps on the culture ladder in a single turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, as long as you can afford it, you can move on the Culture Track.

Remember you can only spend Culture during your City Management phase. There are game mechanics that allow you to advance during other phases (such as Rome's special ability). Also, remember that you advance one step at a time, and that your Culture hand limit is 2 (unless you increase it). As soon as you draw a card beyond that hand limit, you must immediately discard (you do not have time to use the card you have drawn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sz
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
Yes, as long as you can afford it, you can move on the Culture Track.

Remember you can only spend Culture during your City Management phase. There are game mechanics that allow you to advance during other phases (such as Rome's special ability). Also, remember that you advance one step at a time, and that your Culture hand limit is 2 (unless you increase it). As soon as you draw a card beyond that hand limit, you must immediately discard (you do not have time to use the card you have drawn).

That's the part I was looking for. Thanks to both of you for your super fast response! First game tonight with the gf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, it's not victory if she doesn't cry at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OR, alternatively, if *you* cry, of course!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragan Lujic
Denmark
flag msg tools
Nevermind crying, if you're playing with your special someone, why not spice things up?

New Variant!

After Battle:
1 loot - steal 3 trade, 3 culture, any 1 resource/hut/village token, or loser has to take one piece of clothing off

2 loot - steal tech card, culture card, any 2 resources or force loser to take off one piece of clothing of your choice

"Capital" "Conquest": Put on the Barry White tape. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize, it appears I have sent this thread on a dangerous direction zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragan Lujic
Denmark
flag msg tools
IirionClaus wrote:
I apologize, it appears I have sent this thread on a dangerous direction zombie

No, you didn't. My dirty thought-patterns did all the work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sz
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played, I lost, I was naked and cold. No tears were shed however.

XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sioux wrote:
We played, I lost, I was naked and cold. No tears were shed however.

XD

Neat What were the civs? Which victory condition? What did you guys think of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sz
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She played as the Romans, myself as the Germans. I forgot about my tribe ability until the end. We also didn't play with Wonders, although I feel that they wouldn't complicate things much more.

Overall, we enjoyed it quite a bit. The end game dragged out a lot, mostly because I was pesky. She would have been able to win a Tech victory about 10 or so turns before she actually got it (mainly because I gave up). The trouble was, that my military strength outdid hers. On my turn I was able to buy a new Army token and attack her immediately, then winning the fight and taking 3 Trade. Then she was unable to get Space Flight. This happened for about 10 turns, at which point her army was scattered into the sea tiles, where I wasn't able to fight them.
In the last round of the game, I could have gotten the tech to fight her at sea, which would have dragged things some more.

But all that aside, we really liked it. The first 2 hours flew by and were super interesting. I got just the feel I wanted from the game. But then the above situation came about and dragged for an hour.
My gf must have loved it up until then too (she actually said she did). I could just tell how she was all over the pieces and the map and her tech etc.

Definitely a keeper. Looking forward to trying it with more then 2.

Thanks for asking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really glad you liked it! If you're interested, there's a group of players playing by forum- check out the Play by Forum forum, you can add yourself to the list of interested players.

And if you're ever in New York, I would love to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kiwi grrl
msg tools
IirionClaus wrote:
(you do not have time to use the card you have drawn).

I am interested in this comment. If you draw a culture card which can be used during City Management, wouldn't you be able to to use it, and then if you afford it draw another card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kiwigrrl wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:
(you do not have time to use the card you have drawn).

I am interested in this comment. If you draw a culture card which can be used during City Management, wouldn't you be able to to use it, and then if you afford it draw another card?

Clarification: If your hand limit is 2, and you have 2 cards in hand, and you draw a third card, you must immediately discard that card. In other words, if your surpass your hand limit, you must immediately discard; you cannot use any cards between drawing and discarding.

However, let's say you have 6 culture, one card in hand, and your hand limit is two. You can advance once on culture track; decide whether to use any of the cards; and then advance again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
"If your hand limit is 2, and you have 2 cards in hand, and you draw a third card, you must immediately discard that card"

No. You must discard any card from your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
"If your hand limit is 2, and you have 2 cards in hand, and you draw a third card, you must immediately discard that card"

Oops! Thank you. You must discard any card from your hand. But immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sz
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:

So the card you drew, MUST go into your hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You draw it; it goes into your hand; then you discard one of the cards in your hand.

This discussion has become overly complicated ... and I don't know why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sioux wrote:
PauloSantoro wrote:

So the card you drew, MUST go into your hand?

When you draw a card that causes you to exceed your max hand size, you have to discard down before you can play any card. (You can't play culture cards when you exceed your hand size).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sz
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, that makes perfect sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.