Arcadian Del Sol
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have a few decks of poker cards, and tested by gluing the back of one of the Player Aid cards from Airborne in my Pocket to one of them, and 15 minutes later, Im not entirely unhappy with the results. I wonder if I should slightly sand the card to make them more likely to bond with the spray glue, but just curious if anyone else tried this.

With Abimp in particular, the game cards are slightly larger than standard poker deck cards, so I may just reprint them at about 80% scale and then trim the cards down - Im thinking Ticket to Ride 1910 sized cards.

thoughts? thumbs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to do this. Print card fronts out and glue-stick/rolling pin them on to regular cheapo cards. Shuffling was an issue, but they worked.

Thumbs? seriously... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arcadian Del Sol
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:

Thumbs? seriously... shake

no. not seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do this, but I print out on sticker paper, cut them out, and just stick them on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Label paper's great, but about 50 times more expensive than regular paper. So if you're handy with a glue stick, it's much better to use glue. I've never been happy with glued results, however, so I typically use label paper. Never thought of the rolling pin idea though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't work for me. But all I used was this cheap clear paper glue, and Bridge poker cards. The glue and paper caused the cards to curl noticably.

Nowadays, it's just Magic cards and sleeves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've considered it in the past but it just didn't look good enough for my tastes. Instead I've always opted for the easier route of just placing the cut-out "card" fronts in cheap card protectors with real playing cards thrown in behind them for more solid backing. If I need the cards to be random then I use card protectors with opaque backs, with or without art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Nowadays, it's just Magic cards and sleeves!
Me = this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish there was a cheap way to get custom card sleeves made. That'd make card making a cinch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
I used to do this. Print card fronts out and glue-stick/rolling pin them on to regular cheapo cards. Shuffling was an issue, but they:

No to the rolling pin. Use a hotel key or old credit card. Use it on the playing card side, not the printed side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arcadian Del Sol
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that rolling pin are a great way to get spray glue residue all over everything.

I prefer to press under an 8x11 sheet of plastic card stock. Ive yet to encounter bubbles in my cards that were bad enough to require rolling them out. If I ever did, Id throw that card out and do it again.

BTW: I just finished all the cards for Abimp except the player aid cards and I am VERY happy with the result. The only regret is that the cards I used had bright red backs (from a card game prototype I was given at an event), and some of the cards, if you look close enough, you can see a hint of red on parts of the edges. For any future projects where perfection is needed (Magic Realm), I'll just buy new decks of poker cards with ample white borders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see pictures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg J
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Deluxe Decktet Components
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.