Subject: what to do with an 80's and 90's comic book collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mutton javelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm looking for suggestions..

here is my problem:

I have about six comic boxes with mostly 80's and 90's era comics. No blockbusters and perhaps a few titles of note.

I have all the original DC Vertigo stuff Sandman (issue #1 on) Hellblazer (#1 on) and the rest of the original Vertigo (#1 on etc)

there are a bunch of other Marvel and DC titles as well. I left my collection when I moved and now I need to move it, and I am too far to move the thing. I'd trade for other stuff like GW products or even DS game etc..

Anyone ever have a similar situation and if so how did you handle it.
I know this isn't buried treasurearrrh

for those who don't know 80's + 90's comics do not have much value compared to older eras
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
Try an Ultimate Trade for a few of your "Grail" games. Alternatively toss a box into one of the larger Math Trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Find a local comicbook store near your boxes. Ask them if they would go by and give you a price. Take whatever they offer.

Anything else involves you spend resource (time, money, effort). You might get more cash for the books if you sold them on eBay or whatever, but then you'll have to mail them and everything. You might be able to trade them, but then you have to get the other parties to send their stuff to you. Getting cash for the least effort is your optimal solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you can be fodder for that travesty of a show on AMC with Kevin Smith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Find a local comicbook store near your boxes. Ask them if they would go by and give you a price. Take whatever they offer.

Anything else involves you spend resource (time, money, effort). You might get more cash for the books if you sold them on eBay or whatever, but then you'll have to mail them and everything. You might be able to trade them, but then you have to get the other parties to send their stuff to you. Getting cash for the least effort is your optimal solution.

This is probably the best solution for a quick sell, you may only get $100, which would be a collosal slap in the face since your collection is probably worth close to $2-$3k. But them the breaks.

As said, you can try to sell each individual issue over ebay, but this will take you a few years to make a dent in the comics.

I myself have 7 boxes and just recently stopped collecting because I really couldn't afford it anymore. They are stored at my parents because I simply do not have the room. If i win the lottery, they will get moved.

I do have some solid issues worth in the double digits, possibly even one or two that go over the $100 mark, but for those, I got a ton of comics that are worth less then cover price.

However I never collected to get rich... Im going to hang on to them for as long as possible... others can decide their fate after I am dead.
lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to your situation I was planning a move and knew, that with the exception of only a few precious items, I could not move my whole collection. I therefore gave my collection to my nephew who was a geeky teenager at the time and shared my love for comics and D&D.

If you have no worthy relative or friend nearby then I'd suggest that you cherry-pick a few items to either keep or sell. Take the rest to the comic shop as Eye-of-night suggests.

If you choose to sell those few cherry-picked items then perhaps you might consider selling them as sets on eBay with a hefty reserve. You may get lucky. If that fails then do what Eye-of-night suggests and dump the whole thing at the comic shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another canuck, here, with the similar situation (although I stopped buying about 1986) to the above. I also bought doubles of most issues, thinking that I could sell those for profit some day. Ha! My sides!
Mine are all bagged, and I've got collectible Groo, Wolverine, and Daredevil/ Electra issues amongst my other dreck. A couple hundred dollars for the lot seems criminally low, but what are you going to do if you won't go the ebay/ indivdual issue route?
I feel your (collective) pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 4 full large boxes from the same era. I do have some older stuff and complete sets of some neat stuff I really enjoyed like Secret Wars 1 & 2 a ton of Hulks, etc. Also a mess load of Image stuff that was really cool. I know I'm not going to get rich off of them.

I refuse to let them go, every time I see them I have fond memories. I have a nice dry place in the basement they can be stored and not be in the way.

I used to enjoy buying in bulk. I would take them off your hands because you might have stuff that fills gaps in my collection. But I'm sure that's not cost efficient or convenient for either of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been getting rid of stuff (mostly 90's on) and have gotten ~70$/lb in store credit. I could probably do better on ebay but I just want to clear them out. Sadly, they just are not worth much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mutton javelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info. Sadly some shops my not even take them for free. That is how bad the value is on 80's and on comics. There is a shop in my hometown that may give a little more in credit at the store, but only for the choicest of issues. I'd take things (small things) in trade for the collection.

PS if anyone has any contacts that may be interested, my collection is located in Worcester MA(My beeeutiful hometown......arrrh)

I am not located there, though I will be back in a few weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton javelin1 wrote:
Thanks for all the info. Sadly some shops my not even take them for free. That is how bad the value is on 80's and on comics.

The problem with value mostly has to do with the scarcity of issues. Not many people have comics from the '60s, so prices are high.
Contrast that with the print runs in the high tens of thousands for '80s and '90s comics (Marvel & DC, at least) and you get low demand/ low price built right in.

Or, the popularity of a character/ series/ contributor does strange things to pricing. When Frank Miller was all the rage, every back issue of anything that he even touched went up in price. Not so much anymore.

Artists & writers sometimes contribute to cachet, but not always, either.
The early indies, like Cerebus, and companies like Pacific (PC) and First tend to be a bit more valuable, as long as the books themselves were worthy.
Jack Kirby's Captain Victory #1, from PC should have been a valuable book, based on his personal reputation in the industry, but the story (and art) didn't compare to its contemporaries. Not even close. So now you can sell it for bulk paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
your collection is probably worth close to $2-$3k

$25 a box for non blockbuster titles is pretty much standard around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Watson
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be intrested in some stuff to round out my collection, but I wouldn't want 6 boxes full. I'd trade you some stuff if you want to get rid of some of it. I would be intrested in that Sandman run if you want to trade that. Or, if other geeks in the WNY area want to chip in, we could do some sort of split.

or

You could buy a table at a Con. surprise Try to make a buck a comic and waste a saturday. (That actually sounds fun to me though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton javelin1 wrote:
Thanks for all the info. Sadly some shops my not even take them for free.

In that case, donating them to somebody who'll read them and appreciate them is the best thing. Try Freecycle, or advertise locally. Try your local newspaper, they might run a simple article for you, find a good home for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mutton javelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All good ideas. The collection is one of things I did not take care of when I moved. I have a limited time when I return to take care of it. I may be able to freeload of some self storage but that is yet to occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frodo Bagins
msg tools
I had a friend save ANY #1 issues from 1989 to 1997 and only #1 issues. I got a lot of obscure Platinum and # 1's and varient issues from comics I don't think even had a #2 issue. I was dropping $50-80 a month sometimes with al the garbage being published BUT thank God I got the 1st issue of the garbage. I seems to be the only ones that are worth anything. While at a local comiccon, I just happened to look up and there wa one of the ones I bought. The guy said the book was hot and woujldn't move on the prioce. For those who don't think 90's matter, I just sold a #1 with Platinum and 2 Variant covers for $400 because it was a low run and didn't last past 5 issues. I still have 3-4 boxes of garbage but I still have some that are worth $20-30 and $40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not try and shift it through your local brick and mortar auction house?

http://www.oldetymestuffe.com/

That and placing it en block on eBay are likely the least fussy ways to dispose of the stuff. Like others said if you have the time you can go list them all on eBay but its a hassle and you are still likely to be ripped off through paypal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gigi Walls
United States
California
flag msg tools
A great option would be to donate it. Selling can be hassle and chances are people are gonna haggle you down and turn around and sell your items for much more than they bought them for. Donating on the other hand is simple, you may not get cash for it but you do get a tax deduction. If you donate to Collectibles With Causes they'll walk you through the whole process and they'll answer any questions you may have. Their donation forms are posted here https://www.collectibleswithcauses.org/comic-book-donations....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Half Price Books will buy it from you for $1 per half metric ton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Necromancer #1 from 2013, but it's kinda beat up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.