7 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discard and Exhaust rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Beano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, any player can activate an action such as the discard powers on Eowyn and Protector of Lorien. My question is regarding whether you can exhaust or discard any player's card when a card requires you to do so. For instance, Ride to Ruin - can you discard a character from another player to satisfy the text of the card? I have always assumed that you can't . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
compton9890 wrote:
As I understand it, any player can activate an action such as the discard powers on Eowyn and Protector of Lorien. My question is regarding whether you can exhaust or discard any player's card when a card requires you to do so. For instance, Ride to Ruin - can you discard a character from another player to satisfy the text of the card? I have always assumed that you can't . . .

Tim is correct. Additionally, only the player who controls Protector of Lorien can discard to use that card. Cards with costs (such as discard a card or exhaust a card) can only have those costs paid by the player who controls the card. Eowyn is an exception only because her text states that any player can do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops, been misplaying that. Glad I mentioned Protector of Lorien as an example. Thanks! . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, if player A plays Protector on player B's hero, and player B gets a "discard all attachments you control" shadow effect then the Protector is not discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
camipco wrote:
On the other hand, if player A plays Protector on player B's hero, and player B gets a "discard all attachments you control" shadow effect then the Protector is not discarded.

I don't believe that's true. I have the definition of control as "your heroes and allies, attachments you placed on enemies, attachments on your heroes and allies from any player's deck (ie not from the encounter deck)".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
camipco wrote:

This is not correct.

Page 25:
Quote:
When a player plays an attachment card, he has the
option of giving control of that card to another player
by attaching the card to one of that player’s characters.
Players always assume control of attachments that
have been played on their characters.
If control of
that character changes, so does the control of any
attachments on that character.

Player B controls Protector of Lorien. Only player B can activate Protector of Lorien. The shadow effect of Driven by Shadow would affect Protector of Lorien if it came from an enemy with which player B is engaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.