Subject: Autohit effect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vladimir Perepelkin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mostly this question concerns Zaamassal but it can be useful for other characters, too.

Zaamassal's Paradigm of Distortion says "Your attacks always hit at range 4,5,6," (or something like that, I don't remember the wording exactly). What does this "always hit" effect means? I presume that step 4-2 (range check) is skipped. For example, Zaam can hit opponent with Strike at range 5 while this paradigm is active.
How should such effects resolve?
PS For other characters I remember only Khadath's Snare to have similar ability but there are no problems to resolve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I read it. Seems worthless otherwise.

The REAL question here is:

If you have an "always hit" effect like this, and a "do not hit" effect like Dash or Demitras Illusory... which wins?

I'm leaning towards "do not hit" on the grounds that the other main defensive power (Stun Immunity) wins against anything that would contradict it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Perepelkin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
palmerkun wrote:
I'm leaning towards "do not hit" on the grounds that the other main defensive power (Stun Immunity) wins against anything that would contradict it.

Agree, I played them this way. In terms of rules if "this attack always hit" wording change to "this attack ignores range check" (it could be "this attack ignores range" but it won't be much clearer that it is now) then it becomes obvious.
But on the other hand Zaam's paradigm will become too crowded with such wording ("your attacks ignores range check if between you and your opponent is at least 5 spaces"... bah, that's awful ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J W
Austria
flag msg tools
My interpretation would be, that you should treat it just like if it adds the ranges 4, 5 and 6 to the attack. So if I play for example a Sturdy Strike, that attack would have ranges 1 AND 4-6 for the range check. So I guess the "do not hit" effect wins.

I'm unsure about how Kadath's Snare would interact with Demitras's Illusory Style though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
It adds those ranges to the attack, so it can hit at its usual range, and at the 4-6 step.

A 'do not hit' overrides an 'always hit' effect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.