Hide
9 Posts

No Retreat! The Russian Front» Forums » General

Subject: My First WarGame, I need alot of help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Night Guy
msg tools
I need help, I've been reading the rules and watching reviews for a week. I tried the first scenario and I couldn't get past the setup. The rule book doesn't show how to move and setup the many markers (turn, VP, weather, etc...) that the game requires. I purchased No retreat based on the great reviews and it being a light Newbie friendly entry to war-gaming. Doesn't seem so light to me but it looks like it will be tons of fun once I learn the rules. Can someone please direct me to a detailed tutorial; written or video. I'm not able to find a tutorial.

Thanks,

-Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some say this is a simple war game and I also struggled with the learning curve. I have only played it twice and I think someone else here could help you. I just wanted to post here saying that it is a tough game to learn.

I also want to mention that I think it is very tough for the offensive player to win. I love the game and yet find it hard to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmb
One recommendations that would really help you get started is if you download the vassal engine and No Retreat vassal module. You don't have to play it this way, but it will show the setups for each scenario including reinforcements, weather markers, etc. It's a great reference to use if you are setting up the board game.

http://www.vassalengine.org/download.php
This is the base software you will need to open and view the board game modules, No Retreat! The Russian Front module link is below.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:No_Retreat:_The_Russ...
Use version 1.3

Overall, Vassal is very good way to introduce yourself to new board games, especially setups. I hope this will prove helpful to you and that you enjoy No Retreat! The Russian Front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
drop me a private message, I'll help u. WHat have you played in the past?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Night Guy
msg tools
The help will be much appreciated; I have not played any War-Games, ASL was my first purchase and No Retreat my second. I was hoping I could start with No Retreat and then come back to ASL when I have more experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan R.
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Begin with the second scenario. Fall Blau.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking in the rule book for the set up, that's the first mistake -- it's in the Scenario book. Choose a scenario and follow the instructions there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Night Guy
msg tools
Thanks Joe, I'm a visual Lerner the Turn Record Track on VASSAL is what I needed to see. As a recommendation: it will be helpful if a picture of the Record Track with all of the markers in the starting location was provided with each scenario. As well as a listing of all the markers that have to go on each day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmb
edsav00 wrote:
Thanks Joe, I'm a visual Lerner the Turn Record Track on VASSAL is what I needed to see. As a recommendation: it will be helpful if a picture of the Record Track with all of the markers in the starting location was provided with each scenario. As well as a listing of all the markers that have to go on each day.

You are very welcome. Had the same difficulties and the Vassal module really helped clear up any doubt to initial setup. Glad it helped!
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.