Von Zinzendorf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the following strategy
a) Legal? (in the sense of rules)
b) Preventable?
c) Wise?

1) Get the Steam Power tech + a reasonable stacking limit
2) Get a good pile of units and all 6 army figures on the map. Not to the same square, but just chilling around the map. Try not to look like you're planning to attack (if possible)
3) At the City Management phase, use the Steam Power card's ability ("Move all of your figures in one square to any water square on map. These figures may not move again this turn") -> Move all of your army next to enemy capital(if there's water) (this is the legality part: Can you overdrive you stack size now? All means all, right?). Do this at a time when your enemy has no figures (or not many) close his capital. If possible, do so, that your enemy cant attack you during next turn, and if possible, you can get to the capital at next turn.
4) Attack to the capital.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
VonZ wrote:
"Move all of your figures in one square to any water square on map. These figures may not move again this turn"

I think you might have missed the bolded part
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Von Zinzendorf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smuggler wrote:
VonZ wrote:
"Move all of your figures in one square to any water square on map. These figures may not move again this turn"

I think you might have missed the bolded part ;)

Oh! Good point! :D My bad, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris H.
Germany
flag msg tools
well except the point stated, that's exactly what steam power does, and yes, its preventable, e.g. by culture cards, by ressource abilities, by having a considerable army and military bonus, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also communism kills large stacks as long as spies are available. And the ruling is stacking can NEVER be exceeded (you can't even move through stacks in excess of the limit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, just to make sure you got this often missed rule: resource abilities can only be used once per turn, and Steam Power's teleportation is a resource ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hutchings
msg tools
This a a powerful military strategy for Russia.

- build up your trade to 16 points per turn to be able to buy level 3 tech in one turn (get metalworking and build barracks and Colossus)
- get a spice resource from huts or city harvesting
- buy armies till you have 5, keep then all near your cities, close together
- buy army cards of the same type till you have 11, choose a type that can trump your intended target
- Get level II tech printing press - 4+1 unit stacking
- get level III tech: steam power
- get to the turn where you can research a level III miltary upgrade for your units
- use steam power to move next to a capital city on the turn you plan to research level III military (city management phase ability)
- you win on next turn's movement phase!

Don't try this against someone that has or can get culture cards as they can probably kill some of your army figures.

Your cities only need 5 production points to be able to buy cards or army figures.

You could research philosophy as your 4'th level I tech and spend unused resource tokens to get a preat person, hoping to get a general. By this time your cities probably have no actions to do but harvest a resource anyway.

Try it out next time you play russia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyhut wrote:

That would be turn 9 if you've managed to research every turn and haven't been stealing any tech. If your target researches Communism and has one or two spies, they can probably stall your armies long enough to secure their own victory.

The level III unit upgrade is sort of overkill for this anyway. If you have 11 units, Metalworking, an iron resource, and 3 barracks, then you probably don't need an upgrade to take their capital. Without any acceleration, you may be able to learn Steam Power as early as turn 5. Go for the turn 7 kill!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hutchings
msg tools
Peristarkawan wrote:
tonyhut wrote:

That would be turn 9 if you've managed to research every turn and haven't been stealing any tech. If your target researches Communism and has one or two spies, they can probably stall your armies long enough to secure their own victory.

The level III unit upgrade is sort of overkill for this anyway. If you have 11 units, Metalworking, an iron resource, and 3 barracks, then you probably don't need an upgrade to take their capital. Without any acceleration, you may be able to learn Steam Power as early as turn 5. Go for the turn 7 kill!

Well, you may not have all 5 armies, 11 units and barracks in such a short time. You are likely to be up against lvl 2 pikeman and possibly even level 3 cannons with your level 1's. This sounds risky to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyhut wrote:
Well, you may not have all 5 armies, 11 units and barracks in such a short time. You are likely to be up against lvl 2 pikeman and possibly even level 3 cannons with your level 1's. This sounds risky to me.

a) You don't need five armies, eleven units and barracks to defeat a capital.

b) You can definitely have five armies, eleven units and barracks by turn eight/nine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a military player, I can't see a reason not to research engineering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Where are you from?" "Long story. The Pacific Ocean, I guess."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:
For a military player, I can't see a reason not to research engineering.

Agreed. And with Leonardo's workshop, it's especially great.

I one day hope to come across a game where someone uses that combo to make 2 aircraft from one city in one action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.