Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sherwood 925
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been doing a bit of research and it seems that Lost Battles would be a good fit for my game collection.

I may not get around to the deluxe printing, so I have a few questions:

1) Does the big book contain all the rules and charts that are in the shorter rulebook and 1-page charts (which come with the deluxe printing)?

If so, what are the biggest advantages of the shorter rule book & charts?

ie, if i were to never play with the deluxe components, would i be missing out if i also didn't have the shorter rulebook and charts?

2) Does the big book have rules for the Empire game?

I admit, the Empire map looks splended and is my biggest draw for the delux printing.

3) Unfortunately, however, i'm not so keen on the tile and counter art of the deluxe printing. Given that, in your opinion would the shorter rulebook, charts, and Empire game justify the purchase price of the deluxe printing?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The book contains the full system, with explanatory notes on each battle, and ancient warfare in general. It's well worth reading by itself.

Lost Battles is (basically) the third edition of Strategos. Empire has only tangential relation to Lost Battles, and was originally published separately. You can find the second edition of Strategos and the original printing of Empire here:

http://soa.org.uk/store/store_games/

The "shorter rulebook" is simply the rules for Lost Battles - basically the appendix for the book, plus the battles themselves, without the extensive notes and details. Charts are always useful to refer to.

The main draw of buying the boxed game for me was the counters - their look is clearly a matter of preference and personal taste, but their existence makes setting up a game an awful lot easier - when the alternative is playing with pen and paper, or even squares of cardboard cut to size, having professionally printed counters and boards is a major bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to make clear that the boxed "deluxe" version of "Lost Battles" also contains the entire book in paperback format as well as the shortened version.

Regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "shorter rulebook" actually contains a more verbose version of the rules, but the actual rules were only slightly changed.
This new rulebook and the charts are probably still available separately, see this thread (in the yahoo group it was confirmed two weeks ago, that some are still available)
I did not yet read the full book, but I know I'll do it to learn more about the particular battles and the way they are modeled in the game, so I suggest you should buy either the full book or both.

But as Jim pointed out, the deluxe game includes both, and the mounted Empire map and counters. And even if you wrote that you are "not so keen on the tile and counter art of the deluxe printing" I must say that it looks much better in real life than on many of the photos.

On this photo of our crappy 9 years old compact digital camera the counters nearly look like they do in real life (at least for my even older and perhaps crappier eyes):
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
And even if you wrote that you are "not so keen on the tile and counter art of the deluxe printing" I must say that it looks much better in real life than on many of the photos.

I'll echo this. I'm quite accustomed to classic wargaming graphics. When I first saw the counters and tiles, I thought they lacked enough color and graphic differentiation to be functional. But the nature of the system is such that you don't really need to track unit/terrain information in the usual way, and they end up working just fine. I might quibble a bit about the lack of a signifier for Levy status and the slight difference in shades of green between tiles. But overall they're still a lot better than I originally expected and they look nice on the table to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherwood 925
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okay, so i decided: i placed an order with Noble Knight for the deluxe printing. (a 40th bday gift to myself.)

thanks for the information and opinions, everyone. the big book had been on my wishlist for awhile already. i'm hoping that w/ the campaign mode, i'll eventually find what i've always hoped for in a wargame: one that scales from the grand strategic to the grand tactical.

re. the counters & tiles: i had to agree with Dom's point about ready-made components getting a game on the table faster. (I'm currently crafting a home-made C&C:A game that'll take weeks/months to finish -- and I certainly don't need to add another craft project right now.)

all-in-all, the deluxe box sounds like a fair deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.