Subject: A little uncertain about this, what make the unit types 'unique'? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Mauro
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
been reading up on Wizard Kings, my game collection is sorely missing any kind of block war game...

I note that there are tons of unit types, but is there anything unique about them other than wizard vs. non-wizard, terrain movement and strength caps?

For instance, the Amazon Charmer, does she have some unique skill? Unless I missed it I didn't see anything in the rules identifying unique powers for individual unit types...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've seen, it all comes down to the special movements and the costs. I don't think WK is trying to be an RPG, so its not like you're playing an individual Amazon, you're commanding a unit of them. That being said, from my limited experience with the game, the armies do have a different flavor because of the terrain they can exploit, the spells their spellcasters can cast, and the difficulty (or ease) of recruiting various units.

The strength caps and costs help to create this a bit, too. An orcish troll is a fearful thing...and its really expensive to build in the 1st place, so raising them is going to be tougher. So do you want to compose an army with this huge troll at its forefront, or with hordes of base orcs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eldavicho wrote:
For instance, the Amazon Charmer, does she have some unique skill? Unless I missed it I didn't see anything in the rules identifying unique powers for individual unit types...

The wizards for each faction have a unique spell list that is not given in the rules but on a separate set of "cue cards". Apart from that, unit abilities are distinguished by what you can see on the block labels (cost, maximum strength, initiative rank, fire power, movement type, movement points).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

I can only recommend not to restrict yourself to what the original game system might provide or not.

WK assumes each combat unit block to be a kind of military unit. I treat them as regiment equivalents.
In order to ease play, I created one Data card for each unit type. This way there is no longer the need to consult the rules.

The different armies are also organized.
Again, using specific Army cards help again to ease play and to foster the idea of deploying and employing military units in a reasonable way. The 7 armies are, of course, quite different.

And why should you restrict yourself to the units provided by COLUMBIA GAMES.
By the way, COLUMBIA GAMES prints and sends you stickers of your own design.
Not quite for free ...

Armed forces need charismatic leaders.
Only your own imagination provides barriers ...

This is an example making a "block" unique.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenarios can provide interesting unit effects as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.