• [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/502360/nurgle-strategy-guide...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
I read your article, thanks!

However I am still a little overwhelmed by the game. Should I be aiming to earn some small victory points and a dial right off the bat for the first turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. 1 save DAC is better than 2 potential ones when they both fail. Any domination for VP is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Chan
msg tools
Just focus on one nice Populous region and spam cultists. It's the safest, strongest opening move for Nurgle because you'll most likely get a DAC and a good amount of VP. Be mindful of Khorne's opening move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Paradis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I will usually start off by summoning a warrior in the populous region thats the least close to either a noble or warpstone. Makes it easier to be safe from slaanesh and tzeench for a while.

After that I mostly pile up cultis on the main region. If an enemy summon a warrior there, I bring a second warrior. Otherwise I might place 1-2 cultis on an adjacent region, not necessarely a populous region.

Playing warrior early usually stop people from coming in too much and make it actually quite costly to come in and try to steal a few points of corruptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
How do I beat slanesh and tzee in the VP race if i avoid them? cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Paradis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
In absolute race you should win. Nurgle as more cultist, acces to a victory point upgrade and some chaos card that give you more corruption token.

Also, no need to run away forever, you mostly don't want the same person to be second in your region. Also, the large amount of cultist mean you can be almost 100% sure to score some ruination bonus at the very least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Koller
United States
Lousville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alafter wrote:
I read your article, thanks!

However I am still a little overwhelmed by the game. Should I be aiming to earn some small victory points and a dial right off the bat for the first turn?

My default strategy with Nurgle is to focus on the dial in the opening, to get the first upgrade as quickly as possible. The first upgrade I choose is the one which gives you 0-cost teleport (on-board-summoning) for your cultists. It's an excellent upgrade because it means you can stall up to 6 action turns. Stalling is super important in a game where being able to choose one's actions after the other players have no time to respond to your actions is super effective.

After that first upgrade it's 'going for points' all the way, which means speeding up corruption. You really do that by spamming regions one-by-one. Don't spread yourself thin, you can't afford to.

In the opening stage, however, it's sometimes more effective to NOT spam cultists - especially when teleporting them (even for the 1 point cost) will prevent Khorne from scoring another cheap dial point from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks all for your thought! Right now i subscribe to the get the first upgrade asap. Question about leper: it has to be a diffrenet figure for each 0 cost summin right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to win, forget about the Leper upgrade. Provender of Ruin is superior by far.

With experienced players a game is usually over in 5 turns, sometimes even only 4. That means you much likely only get a single upgrade as Nurgle in the whole game. So you'll have to pick that wisely.

With ALL new players, games tend to take 6 or even 7 turns, so you have alot of additional space to roam and play around with different upgrades.

If you are hard set for a tight VP race with Tzeentch and Slaanesh against Khornes dial ticks, there is no way around Provender of Ruin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Koller
United States
Lousville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Umbratus wrote:
If you want to win, forget about the Leper upgrade. Provender of Ruin is superior by far.

And as has been commented on in your strategy thread, your endorsal of PoR is far too categorical. I agree it's a great update in the right circumstances, just as the other upgrades are. All I stated was something that worked out in games with experienced players bent on beating Nurgle and bent on finishing it in round 5. The lepers upgrade is in my own experience a good asset to slow down dial victories.

More on the comparative merits of Nurgle upgrades emerges in this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/596175/provender-of-ruin-see...

Again, it seems that categoric statements like 'A is best, forget about B' do not hold up to repeated play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Koller
United States
Lousville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alafter wrote:
Thanks all for your thought! Right now i subscribe to the get the first upgrade asap. Question about leper: it has to be a diffrenet figure for each 0 cost summin right?

Yes. In our games we put Nurgle lepers to their sides once they have teleported. This helps as a visual reminder as to which figure has already exerted that zero cost ability this round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefan, Provender of Ruin does hold up to repeated play. There is no way around it if you want to win more than just a casual game. The upgrades are far less situational than they appear after a few plays.

You record 5 plays, I record more than 80 (including expansion). Other experienced players will agree. Provender is your best choice in 99% of all cases.

After early games I was also waiting for the situations to come where Lepers is useful, or the Khorne warrior upgrade, or Tzeentch warrior upgrade... It didnt happen - unfortunately, the upgrades are very scripted after a while, because some are clearly superior to others.

Lepers suck, seriously. You mostly waste your time if you try to win through this card. Provender is more powerful by far, in EVERY game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windjammer wrote:
More on the comparative merits of Nurgle upgrades emerges in this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/596175/provender-of-ruin-see...

Btw, if you read this thread closely, you'll realize that it discusses whether Provender is as strong as to be overpowered in regards to other gods being able to beat it AT ALL.

It does not discuss whether Lepers is a comparable option. This is out of the question.

All but one comment regarding Lepers is that some thought it was Nurgles first pick initially, before they found out that Provender is much stronger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
Joel you're making it sound like the game is pretty scripted in the upgrade dimension....which is disappointing, since I was hoping more along the line of the other guy you're debating with where upgrades are 'situational'. That to me would be more attractive. Oh well. It IS a fantasy flight game, not Rio Grande

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
alafter wrote:
Joel you're making it sound like the game is pretty scripted in the upgrade dimension....which is disappointing, since I was hoping more along the line of the other guy you're debating with where upgrades are 'situational'. That to me would be more attractive. Oh well. It IS a fantasy flight game, not Rio Grande

The game is only 7 or 8 turns and Nurgle isn't the best god for getting upgrade cards. His upgrade track is long and earning your way up it distracts from his real power-play which is wrecking the joint.

If you think the game is going to go long then there's merit in the cultist upgrade but you'll pretty much always want Provender of Ruin eventually.

The choice of upgrades is one of the less balanced aspects of the base game. There are upgrades that are clearly powerful and others that are clearly waste cardboard for each of the powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, unfortunately, the upgrades are way too scripted. But it is pretty much my only gripe with an otherwise splendid game. (Talking of the base game here, not the expansion.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
alafter wrote:

Yeah, the only blemish on the design of the base game is the upgrades. There are very few times when experienced players won't take certain ones for each power first (I'll leave that vague to let you explore the game space, though you can poke around BGG as well if you don't mind spoilers). Honestly, for us that didn't diminish the game's appeal: if Nurgle always chooses Provender first then you know that he's going to sprint for points at the end (which is what he's best at anyway) and you play the game knowing it. There's a nice dance of dangers between the powers, even when you know what the upgrades are almost certain to be. I wish Horned Rat had kept our interest, as we haven't gotten to the point that the upgrades feel scripted (well, except for Khorne).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
Umbratus wrote:
Stefan, Provender of Ruin does hold up to repeated play. There is no way around it if you want to win more than just a casual game. The upgrades are far less situational than they appear after a few plays.

Gotta agree with Joel here. As Nurgle, always take PoR. ALWAYS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Chan
msg tools
jsciv wrote:

I wish Horned Rat had kept our interest, as we haven't gotten to the point that the upgrades feel scripted (well, except for Khorne).

That Bloodletter upgrade...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
migo hunter wrote:
jsciv wrote:

I wish Horned Rat had kept our interest, as we haven't gotten to the point that the upgrades feel scripted (well, except for Khorne).

That Bloodletter upgrade...shake

Well, I will say that Vengeance is more often useful than the original 2nd tier upgrades in the base game (you'll pick it maybe 20% of the time as opposed to less than 5%), but yeah the Bloodletter one is the scripted default.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.