Subject: "Ashcan" Pete: Hard Mode? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He is by FAR the worst investigator in the game IMO. Sure, he has a useful ability. Sure, he starts with ally. But he has NOTHING that helps him complete adventures. Shouldn't he at least start with 1 common item (that cannot be exchanged) or, for the very least, 1 clue token? You may be thinking that he can complete the "easy" adventures and buy a common item that can be exchanged for anything else, but A. Sometimes there aren't any easy adventures off the bat and B. From my experience he tends to fail even the easy ones. What do you think? Am I missing something here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
kroen wrote:
He is by FAR the worst investigator in the game IMO. Sure, he has a useful ability. Sure, he starts with ally. But he has NOTHING that helps him complete adventures. Shouldn't he at least start with 1 common item (that cannot be exchanged) or, for the very least, 1 clue token? You may be thinking that he can complete the "easy" adventures and buy a common item that can be exchanged for anything else, but A. Sometimes there aren't any easy adventures off the bat and B. From my experience he tends to fail even the easy ones. What do you think? Am I missing something here?

The Investigators in general are not very well balanced as a set, compare Pete with Jenny or Joe for example. I just put it down to lack of effort in the design and playtesting stage.

I also find Duke to be one of the weakest allies as well. Well, there are certain situations where Duke is very helpful but in general the ability to "feed" Duke to a monster so you don't take damage is not that great.

But I guess the varity has its plus points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you could ever get it to activate that is... buy a common item? You need trophies. Want trophies? beat a challenge. Want to beat a challenge? Oops, no items, spells or clues to help you. Good luck. I hate him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This forum cracks me up because my wife’s favorite character is Ashcan Pete (part is this is because she likes him so much in AH and MoM). Now before you scoff at this notion and dismiss her as a noob, you have to understand that my wife is amazing with dice. My most developed theory is that all dice in the universe consider her their sovereign ruler, in any case dice seem to bend to her will. I’ve seen her go after the Curator (2 tasks: 2; and then 3 terror symbols) with Ashcan in the first round without the aid of any items or clue tokens and win as if there was never a problem. I’ve played games with her where the board is beginning to fill up with monsters, me and another player are on our last leg of health, and it looks like the GOO will wake up at any moment only to win because she keeps racking off the Adventure cards that have elder signs. I’ve played this game with her at least 8 or 9 times now and we have YET to LOSE a single game and that’s with playing against every GOO. I’ve played with other people and lost before, but never with her.

In the hands of my wife, Ashcan looks like an all star capable of taking on the horrors of the otherworld single handedly and still be back for his supper behind the dumpster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
The Investigators in general are not very well balanced as a set, compare Pete with Jenny or Joe for example.

For me this is the charm of Elder Sign. We always choose our investigators at random and it's always good to see what we pull, which in turn dictates how we need to think about playing.

xris wrote:
But I guess the varity has its plus points

Nail. On. Head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Neil.

I agree Pete is pants. But having to deal with that is part of the game's charm. Randomly drawing investigators is the first and easiest way to deal with the "too easy" issue; and since it adds variety, too, what's not to like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Chen
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
He honestly isn't that bad. I would probably pick him over Sister Mary or the Doctor (assuming Ithaqua, the icy winds god, isn't out). Unique items are much more powerful than clue tokens, spells or common items. Ashcan Pete can do the crappy adventure cards that give these while the other investigators do the premium ones that give Uniques.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Capps
msg tools
Ashcan Pete is pretty terrible off the bat. But in the expansion, how about a roll in the lost and found with three dice? He's my favorite investigator (mainly because I narrate him as Karl from Slingblade), but you do have to be...creative early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Same thing, if no easy adventures in play go to Lost & Found. Otherwise give him yellow/red dice via spell if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.