Jürgen Duvendack
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludikbazar has some old edition stuff at acceptable prices.

http://www.ludikbazar.com/index.php?cPath=4219_345_3718_5540

I always wanted to try L5R, but with no players around I just can't justify the prices for current editions (although the new edition looks very nice).

So what would you recommend to get from above selection. I have to provide cards for the second player. Trying out different clans and/or playstyles would also be nice. And the cardpool should allow enough variety for deckbuilding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevenson
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really hard to say, just looking at lone expansions. An issue you risk running into is that each individual expansion was not aimed to be played alone, but rather as part of a broader environment.

You basically have to start with some starter decks. You need them in order to get Strongholds, plus they'll actually have a concentration of cards around a particular clan and concept to get a deck started (unfortunately, all of these are old enough that you aren't getting fully preconstructed and playtested-for-Limited decks like you do with new product).

You're also going to be limited in Clans by what the starter decks are. For 60€, you could get the following:

Rise of the Shogun starter box (two each of Mantis, Phoenix, and Scorpion deck)
Khan's Defiance starter box (two each of Crab, Crane, and Ratling)
The Truest Test Dragon deck
The Truest Test Unicorn deck
Stronger Than Steel starter box (two each of Lion, Mantis, Phoenix)
Honor's Veil starter box (two each of Crane, Dragon, Unicorn)
Heavens' Will Dragon deck
Heavens' Will Mantis deck

That gives you multiple Dragon decks, multiple Mantis decks, and two different each of Crane, Phoenix, and Unicorn. Even having multiple of the same starter deck probably isn't that bad, as you could raid each of them for 1x and 2x cards to make a better, more synergistic combined deck.

Beyond the starters, the only booster box I noticed was Stronger Than Steel. You could get one, but that'll give you something like a playset (3x) of each common and uncommon in that set, so for your purposes additional cards past that point don't seem worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Duvendack
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your quick answer. I know that it's probably not the optimal way to start, buying just some starters from various cycles. But for the price of 3 EE starters, this would give me 29 starters of those old editions.

How is the fixed/random ratio in the old starters? I know that the new ones are like 99% fixed.

I'm really tempted to get these. 63€ is a price I can justify for experimenting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevenson
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are not like the new ones. I want to say that the starters during most of that time frame were about half constructed and half semi-random, but they weren't random from the particular expansion, but rather semi-random from a specially designed sheet of generic cards that was used specifically for the starter decks.

An exception is the oldest starter decks (the Rise of the Shogun ones) are, I think, half constructed and half random, with the random part just being cards from the expansion.

That is my tentative recollection, anyway. It's been a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.