Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lazax
Correct: LAH-zaks
(Source: Rex trailer on http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3101&ep...)
Not correct: LAY-zaks

Xxcha
Correct: n/a (pronunciations I've heard: ks-cha, ks-ks-cha, kssss-cha, eks-cha, eks-eks-cha.)
Also correct (shorthand): two-eks (Source: short story in the Shards of the Throne rulebook)

Hacan
Correct: n/a (pronunciations I've heard: HuhKUHN, huhSUN, huhTSUN)

Mecatol
Correct: MEH-cuh-tohl
(Source: Rex trailer on http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3101&ep...)
Incorrect: Anything where emphasis is not on the first syllable

PS This is meant to be a living post. Post only official rulings, with sources, and I'll update accordingly. Feel free to also post anything not listed here if you think there is ambiguity in pronunciation.

Maybe FFG folks can comment here directly!

(PS2: This is mostly a copy of a similar post at the TI3 forums, but excluding races not appearing in Rex. Perhaps if there is a way to link the two forums, that would make things more elegant instead of having two separate threads -- does anybody know of a way to do that?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The definitive Rex pronunciation thread
My pronunciations:

Lazax-le Sex
Xxcha-Sasha
Hacan-Hacks
Mecatol-Something that's a cross between Metamucil, Kaopectate, and Pepto Bismol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that´s why i´m waiting for esperanto...

In spanish they sound great as they are written
the hardest is the:

Xxcha-Zcha (as many pronounce XCHA)

pretty smart make a name no one could pronounce...but that´s true SCIENCE FICTION style!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Belyeu
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here goes nothing:

Lazax - La-zacks (with a hard A, like A-bsolutely)
Xxcha - Icks-cha
Hacan - Huh-con
Mecatol - Mech-a-tall

I have no idea what phonetic spelling is supposed to look like, but that's as close as I get.

Walt Mulder wrote:

Mecatol-Something that's a cross between Metamucil, Kaopectate, and Pepto Bismol

LMAO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, but note that I am only looking for official rulings, complete with sources. There are many threads already on unofficial pronunciations and I don't want to contribute to that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine's the same as JJ's. Obviously the correct pronunciations. :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mecatol Rex would be pronounced Mek-ah-tohl, based on Latin phonetics. I don't think there's ever been an official word on Hacan (odd as they are in a way the face of TI) and the big question there is if the 'c' is hard or soft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Someone once told me the Xxcha used silent x's so it's just the Cha. I'm not sure where that came from though. I also just go with The Unpronounceable Kingdom. Or the giant turtles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first game of Rex we just continually referred to them as the Happy Jolly Space Turtles.

The one on the race sheet does look awfully smiley, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j0frenzy wrote:
Someone once told me the Xxcha used silent x's so it's just the Cha. I'm not sure where that came from though. I also just go with The Unpronounceable Kingdom. Or the giant turtles.

There's no official canon pronunciation for most things in TI, but I have heard that at FFG HQ, everyone calls them EX-cha. Which is awful. I've been saying za-cha, which is a Greek-ish way to read it, but you could also say sheh-cha, which would be close to Chinese x's. Both are massively cooler than Ex-cha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
In our first game of Rex we just continually referred to them as the Happy Jolly Space Turtles.

Couldn't resist...

(Not necessarily SFW but in case you're wondering, the turtle featured within is quite happy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
j0frenzy wrote:

There's no official canon pronunciation for most things in TI, but I have heard that at FFG HQ, everyone calls them EX-cha. Which is awful. I've been saying za-cha, which is a Greek-ish way to read it, but you could also say sheh-cha, which would be close to Chinese x's. Both are massively cooler than Ex-cha.

Agreed - Ex-cha is just awful. When not referring to them as the Happy Jolly Space Turtles, we pronounce it Za-cha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

Couldn't resist...

***Snipped for decency***

Oh my god, I'm scarred for life now. Thanks for that.

The female (I presume it's a female - they all look the same to me) looked kinda bored, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always think of the song at the end of this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktcv2rnkcTs&feature=related

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Xxcha

1) The xx sound is pronounced like the sound you make when you are gather spit in the back of your throat to spit a nasty loogie. "hhhhhckkkhhh" Think gutural klingon sounds.

2) Cha as in the dance. The emphasis is on this syllable.

So it's hhhhhkkkkkh-CHA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please only post official pronunciations with official sources. That is the main point of his thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:
Please only post official pronunciations with official sources. That is the main point of his thread.

There won't be much of a thread if people don't post anything except what they know of official pronunciations. Why not just collate anything you find as an official pronunciation into the OP and leave the rest for discussion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
The correct pronunciations:

Lazax: EMP-er-or

Xxcha: BEN-ee JESS-er-it

Hacan: SPAY-sing GILD

Mecatol: uh-RACK-iss

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VladGoldakovsky wrote:
How about Hacan pronounced as "Ha-SAN"?
I did that intuitively and heard Vasel spelled it this way.
But then, I saw all "HaKan" pronounciation which is obviously correct, but I somehow cannot accept it.

Keep in mind there is no official pronunciation guide, so there is no one definitive answer, but Ha-KAHN is more likely. For one, the soft 'c' sound is something of a Romance language thing, with English acquiring it through the Norman conquests, and Hacan isn't a very Latinate word. That aside, soft c's generally happen when they come before an i, e, or y, so even by English's typical phonetics it would be a hard c. And if this carries any weight, "Emmitrate" is an Arabic word, and Arabic is as far as I know devoid of soft c's. So there's I think a lot of evidence for Hacan with a 'k' sound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
VladGoldakovsky wrote:
How about Hacan pronounced as "Ha-SUN"?
I did that intuitively and heard Vasel spelled it this way.
But then, I saw all "HaKan" pronounciation which is obviously correct, but I somehow cannot accept it.

I've always pronounced it "Ha-sahn"; for me, the hard c sound just doesn't sound right.

I don't think "Ha-kan" is any more "obviously correct" than "Ha-san", barring an official pronounciation guide. It's a matter of preference and what "sounds right" to your group

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.