United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy,

Borrowed this game last week and got my third game of the Solo Conquest scenario in today. Ended up winning (conquering both cities, level 5 and level 8). I ended the game just shy of Level 10, but once I added up the scoring I ended up with 158 points. Woot!

I think I still like this game with other players more, but it's certainly fun solo for sure. It took me a bit over two hours to complete the game, agonizing over every turn.

One word on why I think I did so well (at least for me).... "Expose".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome! Yeah, I love playing solo too

The first time I played my score was in the sixties lol.

My highest score was the last time I played, 178. I've seen people get over 200 though.

I love setting it up in my basement and really taking my time. I play over a few nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
You generally improve as you play more. For myself, getting 200+ points solo conquest gets counted as a "good game". My scores run:

Best score: 215
5-round wins: twice
Total 200+ wins: 6
Other wins: 12
Loses: 3

Losing counts as "abject failure"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. snowMan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My very first solo conquest I got 193 pts with Tovak.

I got his ranged attack skill early, then cold swordmanship, and was slicing through rampaging enemies with a mana-powered ranged attack, or mage towers with a good block and the skills (+1 attack card). Cities ended up on the first 2 core tiles, and I had both Expose and the Amhotep Freezers. Everything was aligned for a good score. I finished on 3rd day and was pretty happy.

4 more solo games since, I haven't beat the score yet... Usually get in the 170s or 180s. Maybe if I drew the same setup I would score higher now... the game always seems to conspire against me somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan F
Canada
flag msg tools
Yeah, I find the final outcome of a game is fairly dependent on what skills/actions/units/artifacts/spells pop up for you at what times. There are definitely very, very convenient draws or arrangements of these and very, very unhelpful ones as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried solo for the first time (third time playing overall) with Norowas. I ended with 102 points and only one city conquered. I definitely could have done better and played more efficiently. One tactical mistake I made was confusing a dungeon for a tomb. I had a dungeon in my path, but I didn't explore it because I thought it was a tomb, so I missed out on some very early crystals and fame. I was also very inefficient in the final night round, since I was sitting right outside of the first city and I didn't want to stray far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played today, using Goldyx with the goal of taking on one city level 5 by the end of the third night.
I am definitely doing something wrong, I barely reached the red city on time, the dummy player had called end of round already and I was on my last turn but in order to get across a desert (I had already killed a couple of dragons so I backtracked to a town and a keep to recruit) I had to spend a lot of cards, since I had no movement cards for that last hand. So, with three units and the blood ritual card left, I took a beating and got KO'd

Total score: 121. It was very exciting though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a few losses at first, naturally, but solo scores have steadily risen since. My highest score so far is 186 with Arythea and I haven't played for a couple of months now. Seeing scores over 200 makes me want to crack this out again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
[G]RRRRRRRRRR
badge
[G]RRRRRRRRRR
mbmbmbmbmb
I got 226 with Tovak last night on the standard solo conquest scenario.

On the second to last turn of the third night. Tovak set out from one city he had conquered earlier that night in the direction of the last one with 13 cards in hand (hand limit of 7 cards + 2 cards for being adjacent to own city + 4 extra cards due to a charged night tactic no. 6).

Powered Improvisation (discarding Rage), powered March, Swiftness and Stamina yield 13 move, which gets Tovak to the red city with 4 extra movement, invoking a black mana powered Wings of Night from the Spell Offer, using that extremely handy ability that allows one to cast spells from the offer (discarding another card, I think it was some advanced influence thing). The city garrison consisted of 2 Gunners, an Ice Golem and a Werewolf, all unable to harm me, because I entered the city under cover of said spell. Then I powered the Sword of Justice with 4 cards for 12 points of damage and got rid of the Gunners. My Fire Mages (or was it the Fire Golems or both?) disposed of the Ice Golems and another powered Rage got rid of the Werewolf. I think Tovak's range skill also came in at some point for one or two added points of attack. I had to burn a considerable amount of crystals (and the black mana die) to get these effects strung together.

It was a pretty satisfying final turn, I must say, especially since it was my first game over 3 days and nights, so I wasn't really used to that degree of power. The score seemed pretty amazing to me, which is why I looked up threads on the Geek about solo scores. Some people report scores close to 300, which I would have believed ludicrous before last night, but after this experience I can absolutely see it happening. I had a pretty lousy 2nd night during which I moved back and forth between a monastery and a keep in rough ground without doing anything useful at either place while the dummy player raced through his deck. Also, I played it very safe (I only got wounded twice for a wound each and only allowed it because I was close to a Magical Glade), and on the last night I conquered the first city during my first turn and then just sat there, optimizing my deck for two turns until I had collected all the cards that I needed to take the second city in a single turn (actually, during one turn that night I moved to a space adjacent to the first city in order to be closer to the second one). In any case, I can see that a more daring and more efficient player who utilizes wounds for good effects can easily go better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my first over-200 score last night, 208 with Norowas. Finished a round early, but I only had 80-something fame before end of game scoring. Burned a few monasteries and got some very helpful artifacts. Luckily, the heaping helping of rampaging monsters and liberal use of his special card kept my rep from going too negative. Final city was the first time I had actually conquered a city during the daytime, and it was crushing. The red spell that gives Armor -1 to all and removes fortifications coupled with the green spell that gives Armor -2 to all, along with Catapults, basic Horn of Wrath, and some ranged attack killed everyone during siege/ranged attack phase. Didn't even have to use the Altem Mages that were sitting on the sidelines. Horn of Wrath seems pretty damn OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
258 this evening with Arythea.

Fame: 163
Conquered both cities (white and red): 20
All cities conquered: 15
Knowledge: 17 { 5 Advanced Actions (Pure Magic, Song of Wind, Heroic Tale, Into the Heat, Intimidate), 6 spells (Mana Bolt, Tremor, Wings of Wind, Chill, Whirlwind, Burning Shield)}
Loot: 15 { 6 artifacts (sapphire ring, diamond ring, emerald ring, amulet of darkness, banner of fear, horn of wrath), 7 crystals }
Leader: 10 { Amotep Freezers, Red Cape Monks, Illusionists, Ice Mages }
Conqueror: 6 { 3 mage towers }
Adventurer: 12

I got a lot of artifacts, specifically rings, which kept my crystal inventory flush. I also drew some very good spells. Sadly, I only got the Horn of Wrath on the last turn of the game, raiding the adventuring site next to the red city. Drawing the white city was a huge boon to me, allowing me to pick up the Amotep Freezers and Ice Mages in a single turn.

I could have scored a bit more had the dummy player not destroyed me in the third round - it had one red, four greens, and four blue crystals, burning through its deck in just four turns.

I also left a fair amount on the board - three keeps and one mage tower - which makes me think that a score of 300 in solo conquest just might be possible!

Final board:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Grady
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, you're miscalculating the score.. The points for Leader are based on level, not influence cost -- they range from I to IV.

And for Loot, every 2 crystals is worth one point.

Still an impressive score, though! Better than any of mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh! Thank you, corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be a little off topic here, but my question also relates to solo play. We played co-op 3 times (one 2 player, and two 3 player games) and won every time. For the last city (level 11) we almost didn't even need to do a cooperative city assault. So my question is whether you find the game to easy co-op (or solo for that mater)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:
I might be a little off topic here, but my question also relates to solo play. We played co-op 3 times (one 2 player, and two 3 player games) and won every time. For the last city (level 11) we almost didn't even need to do a cooperative city assault. So my question is whether you find the game to easy co-op (or solo for that mater)?

If you are succeeding with the city set to level 11, then well done. But you've made it sounds too easy - I certainly didnt find it that easy at all. Have you checked to make sure you're getting all the rules correct - lots of people have made lots of mistakes with the game (including me )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have trouble imagining being able to solo a level 11 city, and I am usually able to solo a level 8. Often, it isn't even the city defenders that are the problem. It's the Draconum blocking the path, or running out of time.

Is this on the blitz scenario or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Yes, I have trouble imagining being able to solo a level 11 city, and I am usually able to solo a level 8. Often, it isn't even the city defenders that are the problem. It's the Draconum blocking the path, or running out of time.

It's the full scenario. We've also thought we might not be getting the rules right and maybe it's because we play with the official variant where players choose the tile orientation when exploring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would certainly help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:
dcorban wrote:

It's the full scenario. We've also thought we might not be getting the rules right and maybe it's because we play with the official variant where players choose the tile orientation when exploring.

It's not an official variant.

The official variant is:
When revealing a new tile (at the start of the game, or during it), it is rotated randomly. Add it to the map face down (so no one can see how it is oriented), and then flip it by any axis (choose the axis before seeing the tile content).
Note: The symbols in the corners still have to connect, although now, circles can connect to stars, creating irregular shapes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a near perfect game with Norowas and scored 257 points - by far my highest score after more than 30 solo plays. I played the regular solo conquest with cities at 5/8.

Through the entire game I never took a wound. My units were working wonderfully for me and I ended up with 6 of them just wrecking havoc.

A first round "Tome of spells" artifact helped quite a bit too, although I sacrificed it when taking over the first city.

I had Wings of wind/Night, which is my favourite spell, but I hardly even used it for taking over cities like I usually do. Instead the regular effect of movement was very useful for crossing some nasty territory at a time where I wasn't strong enough to deal with it. This was the ONLY spell I had all game. Infact I really relied mostly on my units. Savage Monks were a beast for me early game, taking out loads of opponents - I had both the skill that readies units and two cards that did the same, so I got maximal use of my units.

I finished the game with not only one round to go, but the dummy still had 12 cards in his deck as well, so got a nice bonus of 30+12+5 for finishing early (30 for one round early, 12 for cards left in the dummy deck, 5 for the end of the round not having been called).

After four games in a row with Norowas, I think it is time to switch back to one of the others again. Infact, I think I'll take a short break from Mage Knight. Further games right now will probably seem anti-climactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. You should update that other thread where you wonder if you are getting better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos R
United States
Lake Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm probably the Debbie downer of the group, but whenever I see posts of people breaking 200 first try or consistently scoring over 200 I always assume they played or scored something incorrectly. Usually the culprits are forgetting important rules such as resistances or enemy abilities, but at times rules are just played flat out wrong.

I remember playing with some friends a while ago who were taught the game by someone who got plenty of rules incorrect. He taught them range and siege attacks were only usable during range and siege attack phase and that you play them from a tile adjacent away from the enemy you are fighting, regardless of if the enemy was a rampaging enemy or not. That was one of many rules that needed correcting that evening.

Usually the only scores I tend to trust are ones with an accompanying session report. Other than that, I treat most as an old fisherman comparing the largest fish they ever caught.

Speaking of session reports, I wonder if there is a handy program out there for recording game plays. It gets very tedious typing all of your moves when recording your plays.

P.S. the glass is half empty. Also wanted to add that I believe it's possible and obtainable by people good at the game, but I always become skeptical when the person claiming it starts his story saying "my third game of mage knight I scored.. "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zolrac01 wrote:
I'm probably the Debbie downer of the group, but whenever I see posts of people breaking 200 first try or consistently scoring over 200 I always assume they played or scored something incorrectly. Usually the culprits are forgetting important rules such as resistances or enemy abilities, but at times rules are just played flat out wrong.

I assume I've missed a rule every time I've played this game. I'm not sure it's possible to play this game 100% correct every time. Just too much stuff to remember.

Regardless, Congrats! That is an awesome score. Since fixing many of my playing mistakes my best score has been 222 with Wolfhawk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos R
United States
Lake Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Haha yeah it is hard to keep a lot of the rules on track, and I'm sure I missed or miss a few every time. I didn't see too much of the fishermen's boast of scores on this thread but for some reason this thread came to mind when reading here. Maybe I'm just a bitter soul because I can't break 200 consistently after like 40 plus solo games =(.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1191105/please-convince-me-g...

Anyways always good to see people loving this game. I'm an addict for it to the detriment of my poor family.

edit: and BTW Kasper that is freakin' awesome and I am envious of you. You've given me a score to strive for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zolrac01 wrote:

I remember playing with some friends a while ago who were taught the game by someone who got plenty of rules incorrect. He taught them range and siege attacks were only usable during range and siege attack phase and that you play them from a tile adjacent away from the enemy you are fighting, regardless of if the enemy was a rampaging enemy or not. That was one of many rules that needed correcting that evening.

Usually the only scores I tend to trust are ones with an accompanying session report. Other than that, I treat most as an old fisherman comparing the largest fish they ever caught.

Speaking of session reports, I wonder if there is a handy program out there for recording game plays. It gets very tedious typing all of your moves when recording your plays.

P.S. the glass is half empty. Also wanted to add that I believe it's possible and obtainable by people good at the game, but I always become skeptical when the person claiming it starts his story saying "my third game of mage knight I scored.. "

Agreed, and indeed I have played a ton of rules wrong in the past. However, for my 257 point score yesterday, I'm pretty close to positive that everything was done correctly - as it ought to be after 30+ plays. But I was EXTREMELY lucky - absolutely everything was going my way. BUT, if you do get quality units with Norowas very early and have cards/skills that can ready those units again, then you can REALLY wreck havoc and run up the score.

For the record, I played four consecutive games with Norowas over the last week or so and my scores were: 190, 191, 179 and finally 257, so I'm absolutely not hitting 200+ with any consistency. Infact for my 32 succesful solo conquests I have hit 200+ a total of 7 times, and some of those early ones I got a few rules wrong.

As for the session report, yeah I'm kinda bummed I didn't do one for that perfect game. At least I did take a picture of the final board state, but that's not much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.