Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Gosu: Kamakor» Forums » General

Subject: Better than the first? (Aimed at people who noticed flaws in the first) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul G
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Okay, so I love the concept of Gosu... Except it's HIDEOUSLY unbalanced. There is no reason to EVER win the first round - there is far too much (+1) in the game.

This makes it so that winning the first round means that you'll end up losing about 80% of games. What the hell.

So has anyone else noticed the ridiculous unbalanced-ness of Gosu?

Have any of the people who have found that the expansion works better?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily L
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have not yet played Kamakor but my husband and I are itching to try it out as we LOVE Gosu. We have played it tens of times and have not noticed the imbalance you mentioned. On the other hand, we usually only play a 2 player game so maybe that's what happens with 3-4 players? If anything, the person who wins the first round often wins the game (but not necessarily, obviously) from my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul G
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Try to hold back and force your opponent to win the first round before playing any (+1) cards.

The cards you're looking for are AMMO, Conjurer, Prahs, and anything else with (+1)s that are easy to abuse. I believe Conjurer may be the strongest card in the game, but I'm not 100% sure.

From what I've seen, unless your opponent has trapping (or a lot of destruction, and you're unlucky)... There's no way to actually win a game that you've started winning. Sometimes it cascades, but I win most of my games by losing the first round or two.

Note that aggressive strategies CAN win, if they have Labdad for a quick win, or Dawn/Kao for repetitive card advantage. A well timed Kataclysm or other type of hand destruction can also end games, but most games are won by the first loser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Yeti
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it with the drafting rules and it makes the game so much better. This has quickly become my fave game and love bringing out to people who never heard of it.

Just picked up the expansion today. Will be playing it tomorrow!

Gosu fans unite!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul G
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Not what I was asking, we use the drafting rules too.

Try throwing the first round *every game*. You will win 80-90% of games.

I hear the xpansion fixes that though, which is nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kiehnhoff
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the expansion as a stand-alone because mixing the cards seems like too much of a pain and the new cards have some serious power creep. My game buddy and I only play Gosu and Kamakor 2 player and we both agree that the original is much better and much more strategic. Things in Kamakor are so ridiculously swingy and overpowered that it becomes more an exercise in chaos than anything. In the base game there is a lot of tension around managing hand size and making every action/card count for as much as you can. In Kamakor there are extremely powerful effects so that you lose that kind of on the edge feeling and it becomes more about trying to get specific cards which are the most overpowered. I know that this feeling will appeal to others moreso than the original, but for us the original is a better, more strategic game.

In response to the original post, Kamakor does have many fewer of the (+1) effects, but I don't think those were as unbalancing as they're made out to be in this thread. There is definitely strategy in jockeying for position because the +1 effects are very powerful, but if you're going to win on the first round, you need to find ways to use the extra turns to your advantage and punish your opponent allowing himself to fall behind so early. If you just hate (+1) effects, you may like Kamakor better, but I think the original Gosu is a superior game because of the imbalance and swingy effects in Kamakor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul G
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Like I said, try losing every single first round. There is almost no way to make up for the +1s without Kao or Dawn. The first game is unbalanced and easily solved, I hear the two together is far better - try mixing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have an issue with the catch-up mechanism, you could try limiting this benefit with a variant. I toyed with two different methods and one really worked out for me and the people I play with:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6654368#6654368

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul G
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Woah, you may have just saved the game for me. I was trying to come up with a variant, but that one seems like a fairly good idea.

I still plan on getting Kamakor, but finding it in English around here is virtually impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ste gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
much better with the expansion and IMO not as much 1(+1)cards to get an advantage when losing. So it is more of a race from the start!

Love the expansion...my fave card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul G
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Okay, the expansion indeed fixed a lot. The game is now tons of fun and far "more" balanced. The new tribes are all a bit stronger, but because of how the game works, that ends up fairly balanced.

Except Shadow Goblins sometimes go nuts and you just... win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.