Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Best races rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ike Evans
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
No thanks needed. I'm just your everyday galactic hero.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that SOOO much of it has to do with how effective you are as a player, and not the race itself. There are so many different variances between the races that it would be almost impossible to say "this race stinks," and, "this race is better."

That said, I do have my preferences:

Just yesterday I played the Hacan for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. They have a tremendous amount of leverage to get other players to cooperate with them because they have so much to offer - e.g. two trade cards with 3 trade goods on it and a race specific technology that gives an ally an additional two trade goods. That influence can be crucial.

I also really enjoy the Jol-Nar. Technology is fun! If you can stay out of combat for a couple of rounds, the Jol-Nar transform into technology ninja's. In one game that I played, I purposely attacked an allied Nekro Virus player so he could steal one of my technologies to assist him against another player.

I once played the Saar and got my butt kicked bad. I really couldn't get the moving space docks to work for me - but I'm sure I wasn't working the strategy right.

In games that we've played (about 7 total by now, so I'm still figuring it out) the Lizix, the Mentak Coalition, the Barony of Letnev, have all proven to be effective. There are about 3-4 of the races we haven't even played with yet because we toss out the rule that races have to be chosen at random - why should a player be forced to play a race he doesn't want to. Of course, to keep ourselves out of a rut, we have the house rule that you can't play any one race more than twice in a row before you have to select a new race, and that proves to be effective.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ikesteroma wrote:
I believe that SOOO much of it has to do with how effective you are as a player, and not the race itself. There are so many different variances between the races that it would be almost impossible to say "this race stinks," and, "this race is better."

That said, I do have my preferences:

Just yesterday I played the Hacan for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. They have a tremendous amount of leverage to get other players to cooperate with them because they have so much to offer - e.g. two trade cards with 3 trade goods on it and a race specific technology that gives an ally an additional two trade goods. That influence can be crucial.

I also really enjoy the Jol-Nar. Technology is fun! If you can stay out of combat for a couple of rounds, the Jol-Nar transform into technology ninja's. In one game that I played, I purposely attacked an allied Nekro Virus player so he could steal one of my technologies to assist him against another player.

I once played the Saar and got my butt kicked bad. I really couldn't get the moving space docks to work for me - but I'm sure I wasn't working the strategy right.

In games that we've played (about 7 total by now, so I'm still figuring it out) the Lizix, the Mentak Coalition, the Barony of Letnev, have all proven to be effective. There are about 3-4 of the races we haven't even played with yet because we toss out the rule that races have to be chosen at random - why should a player be forced to play a race he doesn't want to. Of course, to keep ourselves out of a rut, we have the house rule that you can't play any one race more than twice in a row before you have to select a new race, and that proves to be effective.


So much has been said on this topic already, and after [14] games played myself (winning only 2 unfortunately) - it is the player that makes the biggest difference. I play a different Great Race every game, and that definitely has its drawbacks, but it is lots of fun! The SE and SotT expansions did a lot to even up the races, as much as the Xxcha (the "turtles") and the Sardakk N'Orr (the "Sardakk N'Not!") kind of suck, in the right player's hands, they can definitely both win a game. I found the Saar and the Arborec to be "tricky" but definitely interesting (I think the Yin Bros are really interesting, but not necessarily powerful).

The L1Z1X Mindnet, the Yssaril Tribes, Naalu Collective, Mentak Coalition, The Emirates of Hacan, and The Winnu all do quite well in our group...but really, a skilled player can win with any Great Race.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Jeda
msg tools
Skill being equal, I think the L1Z1X are really strong out of the box, personally. However I have seen races do well and races do bad. It very much does depend not only on the person playing, but the other people as well.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Yssaril are largely regarded as the best in a vacuum. They have the best racial ability, and starting with XRD Transporters is very good. You need to be a skilled player to use them properly though. Once you understand the flow of the game enough, you understand how skipping turns for free is bonkers.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joshsmith80 wrote:
How do ppl find the Muuat? Do they have big target for obtaining the war sun advantage? The Sardakk N'orr look war like and i take it that ppl tend to not give much love in the trade department right?


The Muuat is a one trick pony IMO.
Their War Sun is certainly intimidating, but don't you DARE lose it! The race lose a lot with it.

The thing is, even if you have the WarSun tech, you can't buy any easilly in the early game.

They are usually a race with one or two warsuns and little else on the map, making them hard to play with in our games. Because they have access to the tech, you want to build the friggin' things but you don't have the backbone to actually build them.

They are however, a race that other players don't want to mess around with. It's easier to do diplomacy with as a result. A request for "peace" will usually result in a "yes"! because a war with the Muaat is usually a mutually assured destruction result.

The Muaat flagship is pretty weak IMO. Why bother with it when you can have a War Sun?

As for the Sardaak, they are much better if you play with Shaards. The problem isn't the race per say, just that they start SLOW compared to other races. They often have to play catch up in the early planet grab.
In the late game, they are a force to be reckoned with.
Playing catch up in TI3 is hard though.

The latest expansion modifies the balance of power significantly among the races. Where the Yssaril were really strong before, they are now more on par with the other races.
As such, it all depends on your own play-style. If you are aggressive, the L1Z1X, the Nekro or the 'norr might be best for you. If you are more pacific, the Hacan might suit you best. If you are an opportunist, lurking until you can find a gap to take advantage off in the game (i am more that kind of player myself), then the Ghosts or the Naalu might suit you more (they are my two favorite races).
The Ghosts and Naalu are also probably the best two defensive races. You can't weaken the Naalu's fleet easilly since if they are outnumbered, they'll just run away, regroup and hit you back with awesome fighters.
The Ghosts are just too far away to attack easilly. Their homeworld requires access through their gate, which is a choke-hold against invasions. Their position makes any attack against them a telegraphed affair and they can always see the incoming attack at least a turn before. It's very hard to be subtle when attacking the ghost's homeworld.

In my own opinion, the toughest race to play is the Arborec. They are a tough race to figure out how to play well and i still have not come up with anything close to having a good strategy with them. I am pretty sure that if played correctly, they might be strong. Until i can figure them out properly, it's a weak race for me.

I don't like the Jol Nar. because their -1 to combat rolls is pretty hard to overcome if they are attacked and their technologies just become hard to manage over time. Too many techs and special abilities come into play and it becomes hard to get a play-plan with them.

All the other races fall somewhere in-between for me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Porter
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As most of us have said, any Race's performance is highly dependent upon who's playing them. I'll take that one step further and say that every player will have their favorite Race. I tend to favor the Naalu Collective and have never had a bad game playing them, but they're not one of the "best" Races - the Naalu simply suit my play style very well.

I'm sure some will disagree, but in my experience the races fall into four tiers.

Top Tier Races
Yssaril Tribes*
The L1z1x Mindnet
Emirates of Hacan

The three most powerful Races in the game, I've never seen any of these three have a poor showing in any game unless their opponents set out to screw them over from the beginning. Each one has a good starting position and the ability to capitalize on it from turn one. As previously mentioned, the Yssaril are best in the hands of a cunning player.

Upper Tier Races
Barony of Letnev
Federation of Sol
Mentak Coalition
Universities of Jol-Nar

These Races are all very strong, and will usually do well in most games. If not managed effectively, however, then their usefulness can easily be overlooked or wasted, particularly the Jol-Nar.

Mid-Tier Races
The Arborec*
Clan of Saar
Embers of Muaat*
Ghosts of Creuss*
Naalu Collective
Nekro Virus*
The Winnu

Each of these Races have their strengths, and in the hands of the right player can be very effective. There's a lot of favorites and pet Races here, and I'm sure that not everyone would put some of these Races this low on the list. All of these Races are solid, but require that you play to their strengths more than others.

Lower Tier Races
Sardakk N'Orr*
Xxcha Kingdom*
Yin Brotherhood

None of these Races are the "worst" Race to play in the game, they do tend to have some significant disadvantage or quirk that hinders them. The N'Orr seem to be very straightforward, but are so slow to get going they're almost a joke. The Xxcha have some great abilities, but all of them require lots of Command Counters; combine that with a not-so-great start and they're a slow as the turtles they look like. The Yin are an odd Race. None of their abilities really compliment each other well, and they don't seem to have any one area where they shine. I've seen the Yin have a good showing but never a great one, and I've yet to see them win.

The Races marked with an asterisk (*) have a lot of "swing" to them; players either overestimated their abilities or don't play to their strengths. For instance, it took several games with the Yssaril before our group really appreciated how good they are. The Arborec are overlooked but can expand with alarming speed. The Ghosts of Creuss seem to be better in theory than in actual game play. The Nekro Virus is either a game-changer or a mild annoyance. The N'Orr & the Xxcha have a lot of potential, but it requires a good strategy and a little luck to see them perform well.

The last Race in this group are the Embers of Muaat. They get a lot of love because of that starting War Sun, but as far as I'm concerned they're dangerously close to falling into the Lower Tier. They're slow to start, and all of their abilities revolve around their War Sun; without it they have the ability to move through Supernova systems. War Suns are great and shouldn't be discounted, but if the Muaat lose that first War Sun you're screwed. I've seen it happen more than once and it cripples the Race, if not remove them from the running entirely.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played with Shards once, but here's my two cents.

I was surprised to find out at one point that Sol has a very good win record in our group. That is probably due to us being fairly pacifistic during the first 3 rounds. Sol is very vulnerable in the early rounds - if they lose their Carriers it's an uphill climb after that.

However, if they survive long enough to get their infrastructure going, get XRD and Gen Synthesis, they are quite formidable. Like with Yssaril, Sol's strength is based on their ability to delay (with the spawning ability). Also, having hoards of GF on several planets combined with XRD Carriers gives you a lot of flexibility for the end game.

About other races:
Hacan and Jol-Nar are strong if the right objectives come up.
Yssaril have the best unit/tech combo at start, the best racial ability in the game, the most action cards and the most influence in their HS. The only mitigating factor is their crappy production capacity at start, but after round 2 that is pretty much a moot point IMO.
Mentak is the strongest race in the first round but gets weaker each round as others build more fighters - Norr is one of the weakest races in the first round but gets stronger each round as others build more fighters (the Destroyer is Norr's weapon of choice).

deedob wrote:

In my own opinion, the toughest race to play is the Arborec. They are a tough race to figure out how to play well and i still have not come up with anything close to having a good strategy with them. I am pretty sure that if played correctly, they might be strong. Until i can figure them out properly, it's a weak race for me.


If Arborec get their racial tech Spore Acceleration early they can beat Saar's production capacity. My production capacity at Mecatol was 24 in our first game with Shards (I wish there were more Carriers!). Without them accelerated spores Arborec seem very weak (and uninteresting) to me.

Note on Shards: some of the components in the expansion break the game IMO. I'm talking about the Mirror Computing combo, and Hacan's racial tech with the Strategy Card trading. Those details make judging race balance very difficult.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
muthrali the relentless
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, i saw it mentioned above but would like to stress it out:

Some races are good in the beginning of the game, others at the end. (or middle ;-) ) That means that if you play these races, you have to A act quickly to maximise your potential, or B you have to play low in order to be able to grow into your full potential. But, like said before, Player Skill > Race, always.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Even holding player skill as a constant, there's so many variables that it's difficult to figure out a tier list. Races like Jol-Nar can be extremely powerful, but if they are deprived resources it really puts a crunch on them, and they will have to choose between military and research. Game size also plays a role; Federation of Sol is better in 4p than 6, since Sol's navy is designed to take worlds with maximum efficiency, which is more important in the more isolated 4p. I'd probably say Yssaril are the "best", but only because their ability to pass is amazing at delaying for end-of-turn shenanigans, their Action Card ability is very intimidating, and their starting ships are strong.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yssaril
The pass ability is easy for any gamer to grasp.
The Yssaril player gets to do things when others will have no response.
That's why they are the "most" powerful race. Easy trait for experienced and inexperienced players alike to take advantage of.
Once players learn the nuances of the other races the Yssaril fall back to the pack.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bomholt
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
Tier 1(miles above any other race)
Yssaril

I can't take anyone who thinks these guys are fair seriously.



Tier 2
Hacan, L1Z1X,Jol-Nar, Ghosts of Creus

The Hacan are the best of this bunch with the rest shortly behind. The economic advantage and 3 planet home system make the hacan very good at winning without really interacting with anyone. The l1z1x simply have awesome starting tech and fleet with an amazing home system. The Jol-Nar get so ahead on tech especially with leaders that they are crazy good. Their new racial tech is also bonkers. The Ghosts of Creus mobility allows them super easy access to points and pocket victories.

Tier 3

Muaat, Sol, Letnev, XXcha, Mentak, Winnu, Arborec, Nekro virus, Saar, Naalu

These guys are all decent but not amazing

Tier 4

Sardak Nor, Brotherhood of Yin

These guys just plain suck.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnyC Waytobe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shards did a lot to even out the races, most of the worst races (Barony, Xxcha, Yin, Saar, Mentak) all got great techs/flagships/delegates/combos. The upper tier races - Yssaril, Naalu, L1Z1X, Jol-Nar also got nice upgraes, but not as nice as the bottom tier. The result is that the races are now more balance (fortunately with additive, rather than removal correction!)

That said, after the fact, this is how I would rank them:

Yssril - Still #1.
The ONLY way to bring these guys down is an all-out blitz at the start of the game, or a three-way beatdown mid-late game. Anything less, with all players being equal and competent, will result in their win.

L1Z1X, Jol-Nar, Nekro Virus, Naalu* - Tier #2
These, imo, are the other "unfairly good" races. The first three because they acquire (or start with) so much tech. Tech is a HUGE part of the game, and this advantage is compounded by so many objectives revolving around tech. These races are likely to get one or two free victory points just from having a starting tech advantage. I also include the Naalu but only under very specific circumstances - a game with medium experience characters. Poorly managed, the Naalu will not fare any better than any other race, their abilities are probably the trickiest to plan for/use. Also, these abilities are in no way hidden. Ironically, the Naalu tend to telegraph their intentions pretty clearly, and experienced players will pick up on what they're trying to do and effectively nullify their advantage. However, in the sweet-spot where their controller knows what he's doing, but his opponents don't have enough games under their belt to effectively anticipate the Naalu - they are absolutely brutal, rivaling the Yssaril imo.

Hacan, Winnu, Muuat, Barony, Mentak, Arboric - Tier #3
The Baraony and the Mentak wouldn't have been this high if they didn't get AMAZING racial techs. Those, compounded with their beautiful starting systems and excellent flagships have bumped them up to the "Good" races. In the right hands, any of these races could still win without needing help/luck. The Winnu are just all around above average. the Hacan are super wealthy and have easy access to Nanotech/warsuns. The Barony is the strongest late-game military power, the Mentak - under the right circumstances - can be richer than the Hacan, still retain their status as the best first-turn rush race, and are in a better position than the Hacan to benefit from the I now spend X influence/resources VP, the Arboric are tough to play, but if left alone can be absolutely overwhelming.

Ghosts, Sol - Tier #4

They're not bad, and they're both a lot of fun to play, but frankly they're just not as good as anyone else I've mentioned. Also, if you're playing to win, I would not choose Ghosts unless you have 6+ games of experience. Alternatively, I think Sol might be the best beginner race out there (not that they don't get better with an experienced player, but I find that they're pretty straight forward). I LOVE the Sol delegates, but I think they got shafted on racial techs. The flagship is meh imo, but maybe I'm under-rating them because I under-rate ground forces and over-rate strategy counters.

Yin, Saar - Tier #5

These races are pretty bad. Sure space-docks in asteroid fields is a fun trick - but that's about all the Saar have up their sleeve. The Yin are also not bad for people who are great at bluffing, as they have great "suicide/Mutual Destruction" capabilities - but I'm usually too focused on winning to want to play that game. The Saar are interesting and the Yin are decent for kingmaking - but that's about it, and as such they rate pretty low for me.

N'oor - Tier #6

Worst starting set-up.
Worst leaders.
Worst racial tech.
Worst starting tech (yes on the path to war suns, but they never have the cash to make use of it)
Bad starting planet.
Mediocre leaders.
Decent flagship.
Decent delegates.
Decent racial ability.

The BEST parts of the N'oor are decent, but it's all down hill from there. With Warfare they make a great first-turn blitz, and doing anything else - imo - seems like a mistake. By taking out their neighbor, they'll get enough time/space to build up their economy to the point where they're on par with everyone else. If you somehow manage to do this and get your flagship out with some destroyers, then you can really wreak some havoc, but you probably won't end up getting many VPs out of it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnyC Waytobe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
muthrali wrote:
Also, i saw it mentioned above but would like to stress it out:

Some races are good in the beginning of the game, others at the end. (or middle ;-) ) That means that if you play these races, you have to A act quickly to maximise your potential, or B you have to play low in order to be able to grow into your full potential. But, like said before, Player Skill > Race, always.


I agree here.

Also, I think it may be worth pointing out when races really hit their stride.

Races that are best ROUND ONE:
Mentak, Noor, Jol-Nar, Nekro, Saar, Yssaril, L1Z1X

Races that are best Early Game:
Mentak, Sol, Ghosts, Yssaril, L1Z1X, Muaat, Jol-Nar, Nekro

Races that are best Mid Game:
Yssaril, Nekro, L1Z1X, Jol-Nar, Hacan, Sol, Winnu

Races that are best Late Game (assuming they survived this long):
Yssaril, Nekro, L1Z1X, Hacan, Arboric, Letnev, Naalu, Noor

Races that are best END GAME (assuming they survived this long):
Yssaril, L1Z1X, Arboric, Xxcha, Letnev, Naalu, Jol-Nar, Ghosts

Method: gut/observations
First turn is based on starting moves/rushes.
Early game is based on ease of expansion
Middle game is based ease of getting standard/easy VPs
Late game is based on getting hard VPs/Battle
End Game is based on trickiness(Yssaril, Naalu)/diplomats (Xxcha)/military might (Letnev)/maneuverability (Jol-Nar, Ghosts).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys realize that you're not arguing whether the game is balanced, but how unbalanced it is.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
You guys realize that you're not arguing whether the game is balanced, but how unbalanced it is.

Unless I missed something, I don't think it was ever claimed that the races are perfectly balanced against each other. In fact, that's part of what I like about the game.

But I agree that SKILL will often trump a RACE's advantage.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:
You guys realize that you're not arguing whether the game is balanced, but how unbalanced it is.

Unless I missed something, I don't think it was ever claimed that the races are perfectly balanced against each other. In fact, that's part of what I like about the game.

But I agree that SKILL will often trump a RACE's advantage.


Fair enough. Still, from all this, it seems complete randomness would be the only 'fair' way to decide who plays what. Or maybe give the sardakk n'orr to the most experiences player?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
Fair enough. Still, from all this, it seems complete randomness would be the only 'fair' way to decide who plays what. Or maybe give the sardakk n'orr to the most experiences player?


The problem is that the reverse doesn't work as well. Jol-Nar and Yssaril are pretty strong, but in the hands of a total newbie, a simpler race like Sol or Hacan would probably do better. Determining races with some randomness will prevent the most knowledgeable player from getting their preferred race all the time, which should keep race selection fair enough.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayals aren't as swift or as damaging as AGoT, as they can't take away VPs and can often be reacted to. Still a viable tactic, especially if you take their home system, but those opportunities don't present themselves frequently.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Porter
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
Fair enough. Still, from all this, it seems complete randomness would be the only 'fair' way to decide who plays what. Or maybe give the sardakk n'orr to the most experiences player?


Actually, I have never been able to play the N'Orr in any of the 50+ games our group has played, but I'd like to give them a try.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
templarjr wrote:
As most of us have said, any Race's performance is highly dependent upon who's playing them. I'll take that one step further and say that every player will have their favorite Race. I tend to favor the Naalu Collective and have never had a bad game playing them, but they're not one of the "best" Races - the Naalu simply suit my play style very well.

I'm sure some will disagree, but in my experience the races fall into four tiers.

Top Tier Races
Yssaril Tribes*
The L1z1x Mindnet
Emirates of Hacan

The three most powerful Races in the game, I've never seen any of these three have a poor showing in any game unless their opponents set out to screw them over from the beginning. Each one has a good starting position and the ability to capitalize on it from turn one. As previously mentioned, the Yssaril are best in the hands of a cunning player.

Upper Tier Races
Barony of Letnev
Federation of Sol
Mentak Coalition
Universities of Jol-Nar

These Races are all very strong, and will usually do well in most games. If not managed effectively, however, then their usefulness can easily be overlooked or wasted, particularly the Jol-Nar.

Mid-Tier Races
The Arborec*
Clan of Saar
Embers of Muaat*
Ghosts of Creuss*
Naalu Collective
Nekro Virus*
The Winnu

Each of these Races have their strengths, and in the hands of the right player can be very effective. There's a lot of favorites and pet Races here, and I'm sure that not everyone would put some of these Races this low on the list. All of these Races are solid, but require that you play to their strengths more than others.

Lower Tier Races
Sardakk N'Orr*
Xxcha Kingdom*
Yin Brotherhood

None of these Races are the "worst" Race to play in the game, they do tend to have some significant disadvantage or quirk that hinders them. The N'Orr seem to be very straightforward, but are so slow to get going they're almost a joke. The Xxcha have some great abilities, but all of them require lots of Command Counters; combine that with a not-so-great start and they're a slow as the turtles they look like. The Yin are an odd Race. None of their abilities really compliment each other well, and they don't seem to have any one area where they shine. I've seen the Yin have a good showing but never a great one, and I've yet to see them win.

The Races marked with an asterisk (*) have a lot of "swing" to them; players either overestimated their abilities or don't play to their strengths. For instance, it took several games with the Yssaril before our group really appreciated how good they are. The Arborec are overlooked but can expand with alarming speed. The Ghosts of Creuss seem to be better in theory than in actual game play. The Nekro Virus is either a game-changer or a mild annoyance. The N'Orr & the Xxcha have a lot of potential, but it requires a good strategy and a little luck to see them perform well.

The last Race in this group are the Embers of Muaat. They get a lot of love because of that starting War Sun, but as far as I'm concerned they're dangerously close to falling into the Lower Tier. They're slow to start, and all of their abilities revolve around their War Sun; without it they have the ability to move through Supernova systems. War Suns are great and shouldn't be discounted, but if the Muaat lose that first War Sun you're screwed. I've seen it happen more than once and it cripples the Race, if not remove them from the running entirely.



I think the Naalu Collective rock! That "Initiative 0" in the right hands is deadly.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:
You guys realize that you're not arguing whether the game is balanced, but how unbalanced it is.

Unless I missed something, I don't think it was ever claimed that the races are perfectly balanced against each other. In fact, that's part of what I like about the game.

But I agree that SKILL will often trump a RACE's advantage.


Yup...Sigma has won twice with The Winnu (not considered a "Top Tier" Great Race by many), and our friend Kevin C. has won with 7 different Great Races (that's one heck of an accomplishment!). Game knowledge and skill trump all else IMHO.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:
You guys realize that you're not arguing whether the game is balanced, but how unbalanced it is.

Unless I missed something, I don't think it was ever claimed that the races are perfectly balanced against each other. In fact, that's part of what I like about the game.

But I agree that SKILL will often trump a RACE's advantage.


Fair enough. Still, from all this, it seems complete randomness would be the only 'fair' way to decide who plays what. Or maybe give the sardakk n'orr to the most experiences player?


I think that depends on the "tastes" of the group, a lot of us in our group like to try all of the Great Races (like me!), so we frequently (not always though) use a different system for Great Race assignment. For personal reasons, I don't really want to go "random" on race assignment until I've played them all...playing all of the Great Races is part of what I enjoy about the game, as do several others in our group.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
templarjr wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:
Fair enough. Still, from all this, it seems complete randomness would be the only 'fair' way to decide who plays what. Or maybe give the sardakk n'orr to the most experiences player?


Actually, I have never been able to play the N'Orr in any of the 50+ games our group has played, but I'd like to give them a try.


Wow!...50 games played?!?!...lucky dog, I'm jealous.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fargofootball wrote:
Yssaril
The pass ability is easy for any gamer to grasp.
The Yssaril player gets to do things when others will have no response.
That's why they are the "most" powerful race. Easy trait for experienced and inexperienced players alike to take advantage of.
Once players learn the nuances of the other races the Yssaril fall back to the pack.


The Yssaril "pass" is strong, but in my own experience, not really THAT far ahead of the Naalu's "always goes first" ability.

The Naalu is the exact counterpart of the Yssaril. They play before the opponents have done anything.

The Yssaril favors the "wait and react to other's doings" approach.

The Naalu is for the opportunists.

I personally find the Naalu stronger than the Yssaril in most cases. It's easier to grab a planet, grab an artifact or claim a homeworld BEFORE the opponent does, or reinforce his own homeworld.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Fargofootball wrote:
Yssaril
The pass ability is easy for any gamer to grasp.
The Yssaril player gets to do things when others will have no response.
That's why they are the "most" powerful race. Easy trait for experienced and inexperienced players alike to take advantage of.
Once players learn the nuances of the other races the Yssaril fall back to the pack.


The Yssaril "pass" is strong, but in my own experience, not really THAT far ahead of the Naalu's "always goes first" ability.

The Naalu is the exact counterpart of the Yssaril. They play before the opponents have done anything.

The Yssaril favors the "wait and react to other's doings" approach.

The Naalu is for the opportunists.

I personally find the Naalu stronger than the Yssaril in most cases. It's easier to grab a planet, grab an artifact or claim a homeworld BEFORE the opponent does, or reinforce his own homeworld.


Excellent observation deebob, they are both quite powerful. In my experience, it takes a more knowledgeable and skilled player though to really take advantage of these very powerful racial abilities. If I had played either of these Great Races in my first couple of games, their abilities would not have done much for me, but in the hands of an experienced player, they are deadly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.