Hide
9 Posts

Blue Max» Forums » General

Subject: How difficult is it to have big battles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Man
msg tools
Most wargames slow down a lot. Is it possible to "cleanly" and quickly have big battles, or is the game designed more for a few planes at a time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pascal bons
France
les moitiers d'allonne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It works well if each player is in charge of one or two planes, gather 10 players and you can have really big battles in a reasonable time. As you choose orders simultaenously the game works pretty well even with 8 or more players.

PS : I speak for the Ailes de la Gloire version (the french 90's version of Blue Max).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any problems with Blue Max and big battles.
Since all players plot their moves at the same time, only the results of the dog fights can take time.
Biggest problem is to get the people to show up. (Been trying for two weeks now to get people to a game evening.)

PS. Try www.youplay.it - dogfights with 18 players are played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
It helps to know what you mean by "big". I have managed to get 12 players a couple of times and it was excellent. We had extra copies of the movements sheets and of the CRT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest Blue Max game we have played to date is 35 players with each player controlling a single 1:72 scale aircraft model.

Since everyone had a working knowledge of the game, it didn't slow down that much. Everyone plots at the same time, then moves their plane. Just that everyone can't move at the same time since there are a lot of players.

Quickly, the number of players in the game was reduced as people got shot down, and there was no "flying-back-in". That is why I set up another BM game next to our big game for those who got shot down early.

We were able to play a couple of those big plane engagements in one night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
conedguy wrote:
Most wargames slow down a lot. Is it possible to "cleanly" and quickly have big battles, or is the game designed more for a few planes at a time?

Theoretically you can play with as many planes as you wish.
In reality it is better that you let one plane to each player, so the limit is given by the number of player that you are able to put into a single room.
At present the largest number of Blue Max of players that you can put together is 18 by using the largest scenario in YouPlay.It. Personally, among the YouPlay.It's scenaro, I think that the most amusing is The Fellowship and the Nazguls where are present ten different types of planes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:
The biggest Blue Max game we have played to date is 35 players with each player controlling a single 1:72 scale aircraft model.

I would have loved to be #36 in that game!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Chirhart
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem I seem to run into with www.youplay.it is that in the large games there always seem to be a couple of players that either have dozens of games going on and don't play turns in a timely manner, or they start out good and then play a turn once/ week or the web site ends up playing a turn after 7 days. I've flown off the board to get out of games that ended up that way and it still took me two weeks. It can be very frustrating. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Yid wrote:
The problem I seem to run into with YouPlay.It is that in the large games there always seem to be a couple of players that either have dozens of games going on and don't play turns in a timely manner, or they start out good and then play a turn once/ week or the web site ends up playing a turn after 7 days. I've flown off the board to get out of games that ended up that way and it still took me two weeks. It can be very frustrating. cry

For YouPlay.It I can give you some solutions.
First you can try the challenge games, where you send the challenge to the players you want.
The second are the passworded games where the password is known among a selected group of players. Several years ago there was a large flock of Italian players sharing the password "giocare" and often one opened one 4 players, a 6 players, a 8 players game waiting the others to join in. It worked for a couple of years then it faded out since many were not so regular players.
What's your nick on YouPlay.It?
And why you don't join the YouPlayers Union here on BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.